Heart Rate Zone

Options
How do I find out what my resting heart rate is? Should I wait to check after I wake up, before I get out of bed, after sitting on butt for awhile? Also my new heart rate watch says I should set my hi and lo for my heart rate zone. Also, that I should strive for 55-85% of my maximum heart rate, which is apparently the fat burning zone or something. How do I find out what that is? I'm a little confused here. Help.

Also, what exactly is my Low on the heart rate zone?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Forget about the heart rate zones. Exercise to the best of your ability. Excess calories burned means excess fat lost. There's no special heart rate zone that burns fat faster.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You're confusing a lot of different stuff. To establish your resting heart rate relax in a seated position for a couple of minutes prior to working out that day and take your heart rate. If you want to ensure you are gaining cardiovascular benefit from an exercise make sure you are 60% of your max heart rate or better. Max heart rate is 220 minus your age.

So, if you are 25 your max heart rate would be 220-25 or 195. Therefore, your target heart rate would be 60% of 195 or .6 x 195 = 117. Pretty simple.
  • AprilLove13
    Options
    I think maybe I was confusing others by how that was worded. I knew what I was talking about... lol Thanks for the answer thought. I ended up just googling it out of impatience.