Heart Rate Monitors vs Fit Bit

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm now in the market for a HRM and I'm needing some advise on them. Such as who likes there's and why? How would you rate your model and would you buy it again? Any Fit Bit information is welcome also.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Replies

• Marie12059
    Options
    I wish i had advice, sorry. but I am gonna follow this post for much needed advice. the only thing i have ever used is the built in monitors in some machines at the gym.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have owned & used Polar HRMs for decades. I love then & they work great. They have been independently & scientifically tested & proven accurate for calorie burn tracking. Here's a link:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/
  • mtlkate
    mtlkate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used a Fitbit for awhile, but I had trouble holding on to it. It wouldn't stay clipped on and I eventually lost it.
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've had my Suunto M3 for a while now and I like that I can just strap it on when I'm going to exercise and it will track the calories burned. However, with HRM's they tend to be inaccurate for circuit training and weight training unless you're very very vigourous.

I bought my boyfriend a FitBit One for his birthday and he just loves it. I think it's good for someone that is active during the day and does a bit of walking, as you strap it on your all day and it is a pedometer, calorie counter etc. He loves it, and I'm considering buying one but I'm definitely not as active as him so I'm not sure if there is much point. Might motivate me to walk more though!

Also, the new Fitbit one is out to replace the Ultra and that has apparently fixed the problem of lost fitbits.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitbit earlier this year (ultra) and use it at the gym and general activity - but I am getting a Polar FT7 HRM for Xmas.
    The FB is useful for cals burned through every day walking about and seemed to record more cals burned on gym machines like the treadmill and elliptical, than the machines own monitor.
    However, it is not great with machines like the stationery bike, rowing machine and swimming (hence wanting an HRM).

I have also used the FB for things like Wii activity games - it was marginally higher on cals burned than the game (Wii Active) and gives some estimate of cals burned for games that don't estimate cals.
    Again, will try this out as well with the HRM and see which appears more consistent.

Of course I won't be wearing the HRM for everyday meandering, so I don't consider the FB a wasted purchase ...
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Bump for further responses
  • mwcarew
    mwcarew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do a good bit of running/walking and have used a Polar HRM at the same time as my Fitbit. My Fitbit seems very close in terms of accuracy. However, I really prefer my Fitbit One for general activity since it syncs up automatically at home and then to MFP. There's no hassle involved other than charging once a week and remembering to clip it on when I change clothes.

I will also say that the Fitbit badges and other features have me walking much more than I used to. I find myself taking stairs instead of elevators and walking instead of driving. I only use my Polar HRM and Endomondo for my running/marathon training.
  • oldmandee
    oldmandee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use one of the Timex GPS Run trainers ... tracks calories, heart rate, time in heart rate zones, speed, pace, etc. They can be a little pricy, but it suits my needs.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    These are fantastic responses! Lots of useful information.

One question...if I were to use a home DVD which one would you prefer to use?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    These are fantastic responses! Lots of useful information.

One question...if I were to use a home DVD which one would you prefer to use?
    I'd start another post on this. Give us more info. Do you want cardio or strength training or a mixture. Do you want just one routine or are you prepared to pay more for a programme.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know there was so much to all of this. DVD's I'm thinking of are by Tony Horton, nearly anything he does and Les Mills his new Combat. I'm a beachbody fan. Lol

I may post another topic after the holidays as everyone is pretty busy right now.

Thanks again!