Wanting to go vegetarian

Options
I've been doing a lot of thinking and I want to go vegetarian again. Eating meat makes me feel really sluggish and it always makes me sick to were I throw up. Any tips/suggestions/recipes that can help me go veg and maintain a 1200 cal diet? I've gone veg before but gained a loooot of weight because I ate a lot of junk food.

Replies

• LeRevCooper
    Options
    Don't eat meat. Don't eat a lot of junk food. Google some healthy recipes. :heart:
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Happy Herbivores community on here is a great place. It's easy to gain weight with or without meat if you eat too many calories and junky foods. Don't become a carbitarian!
  • kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Go to the bookstore and buy Tosca Reno's, Eat Clean, Vegetarian cook book...I use her recipes and it helps me stay within 1200 cals.
  • nikkijade13
    nikkijade13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I'm avoiding be a carbutarian as best as I can lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would suggest joining these groups.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/219-mfp-vegetarians

You will get much better input from them than in the main forum tbh and they have a bunch of recipe threads.
  • lbrittenson
    lbrittenson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    feel free to friend me and check my diary ;)

Just try to eat whole foods, fruits, veggies, grains, beans, nuts
  • gem6885
    Options
    I'm still transitioning over to vegetarian, still have the occasional fish and/or meat, but its like once a month now as opposed to every day. Stay away from those fake meat, vegetable protein, type foods. Just get most of your food in the produce section and don't go crazy on dairy (cheese especially). Lentils and beans will be your best friend - just switch up the recipes so you don't get bored!
  • StarGem6
    StarGem6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. I used to eat only fish (Pescatarian) but then stopped about 1 year ago. It's not easy getting your proteins.

Remember that legumes (lentils, beans) are high in fat and sodium. I keep away from soy products, so it's a challenge being a vegetarian. Dairy products are also a good source of protein, but I don't want to get all my protein from dairy either. Protein powder is good, too.

Going from meat eater to straight vegetarian may be difficult.
    I suggest maybe start with eliminating meat and chicken from your diet first, but continue eating fish. See how you feel after a month or so. Fish is an easy and good source of protein. Then, you can slowly wean yourself off fish if you want to go strict vegetarian.