Am I doing something wrong?

Options
Alright, this is a genuine question. I've been on MFP for a wee bit over 100 days. I'm losing steady since day one but in the last month my losses have all been under a pound/week. I do not starve myself, I don't do the 1200 cals thing, I eat back most of my workout cals and I do workout 6 days a week ( cardio/ lifting)

Question is : If I'm eating at a deficit that *should* give me a 2 lbs loss a week ( I'm heavy enough that this is a healthy loss for me and not trying to rush things) Am I losing under a pound because I'm doing something wrong or because my body is just slow to lose weight and that's it nothing I can do about it?

For the record, I'm thrilled with my 25 lbs loss. I'm losing inches like mad which is awesome and I know the number on the scale isn't the only thing and I'm fishing for compliments. ( and I know this week, my diary is filled with bad stuff like sweets because Christmas but it's not a one week thing, it's been a month)

Thanks!

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That's great that you are losing! In my first 3 months on MFP I lost nothing. I had to keep changing up my settings adjusting goals for protein, carbs and fat.

It turned out that I had to add in HIIT and really measure every little thing I ate in order to start making progress. Since then I've been steadily losing about 1/2 pound a month on average. I know that seems really slow, but my body fat percentage is dropping much more quickly than my weight.

Sometimes a plateau just happens. Just keep changing up your plan until you break the plateau. Don't wait around for 3 months like I did, LOL!
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's a constantly changing thing. Also, I think the body has to catch up sometimes. I'm in the same boat. I'm just trying to be patient. So hard to do!!
  • chrtyA
    chrtyA Posts: 39
    Options
    That's great that you are losing! In my first 3 months on MFP I lost nothing. I had to keep changing up my settings adjusting goals for protein, carbs and fat.

It turned out that I had to add in HIIT and really measure every little thing I ate in order to start making progress. Since then I've been steadily losing about 1/2 pound a month on average. I know that seems really slow, but my body fat percentage is dropping much more quickly than my weight.

Sometimes a plateau just happens. Just keep changing up your plan until you break the plateau. Don't wait around for 3 months like I did, LOL!

I am still in the "getting it right" phase. I haven't lost weight and it is frustrating but I will get there. If you are losing weight weekly after a 25 pound weight loss it sounds like you are doing well but yes it is important to change things up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    A plateau is more like a month with no weight loss, or a month of up and down a couple pounds all around the same weight.

Are you measuring and weighing all the food and drink you are intaking? Are you logging all your food in the Food Diary? It is really easy to make errors of several hundred calories if you are just eye-balling it.

Eight hours of sleep and proper hydration along with low stress can also be helpful. Over the past few years I've learned to not expect much in December. Short days, lots to do, an abundance of goodies, and the stress of the Holidays all adds up to a big blank for me in December weight control.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    A plateau is more like a month with no weight loss, or a month of up and down a couple pounds all around the same weight.

Are you measuring and weighing all the food and drink you are intaking? Are you logging all your food in the Food Diary? It is really easy to make errors of several hundred calories if you are just eye-balling it.

Eight hours of sleep and proper hydration along with low stress can also be helpful. Over the past few years I've learned to not expect much in December. Short days, lots to do, an abundance of goodies, and the stress of the Holidays all adds up to a big blank for me in December weight control.

I'm fully aware it's not a plateau. As I said, I've been losing weight every week, it just really slowed down. It's that's the way my body works, so be it but if it's because I'm doing something wrong, that's another story.

I do weight and measure every little thing I eat, and I log everything even if it's 1 mushroom, 1 spray of pam.....

I'm not overly stressing it. I'll see if it kicks back in Jan.
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think it isn't an exact science and you may have to play around with your calories a bit. Don't worry, you'll find the perfect balance.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Should have posted this in the Food and Nutrition section instead....