Carb Cycling

Options
Any advice on this?

Replies

• cc_campbell81
    Options
    this is new to me but i found the following website.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Low-Carb-Cycling-for-Weight-Loss-and-Maintenance

The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises talks about doing low carb for four weeks to burn fat. It's something I am trying, starting this week. You can check out my blog to see how it works for me.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    We do it with P90X, but it's combined with HEAVY strength training:

Phase 1 - 30% carbs, 50% protein, 20% (4 weeks)
    Phase 2 - 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% (4 weeks)
    Phase 3 - 60% carbs, 20% protein, 20% (5 weeks)

It works for us ... women slim down and men get ripped. Just be sure to not low carb for too long or your body will get used to it.
  • altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am reading about it. This is something I may be interested in also.
  • ellipse22
    ellipse22 Posts: 137
    Options
    I was curious about this!

I had my assessment done at the gym I just joined and he mentioned dropping my carb intake to 79g. I am struggling with seeing how I am going to do this. I am a bread eater and although I've managed to keep my carbs in check (according to what MFP suggests) I know I need to cut back down even more!

I can't seem to recall what he said my protein intake should be...I guess I have to figure that part out.

I did do some shopping today and after reading a few labels etc. I am absolutely shocked at the amount of carbs in some of the foods I thought I could eat (whole grains, low fat etc.etc.).

Now I have to go through my fridge/cupboards and see what it is I can actually eat. I'm planning to cut my carbs down to 100g at first (MFP suggests 180) and see how that goes! I'm hoping this will help with trying to reduce my % of body fat!

I'll be reading the link that was posted in more detail! Let's hope it works!
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
    i find when i am having or on a low carb day i get very grumpy. lol
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Hmm .. I should mention that we're eating a lot of calories in general. So 30% carbs is 135g (in an 1800 calorie diet). And because we're lifting heavy weights, we're utilizing that extra protein.

I wouldn't know how it's supposed to work on a lower calorie diet, especially considering most of you focus mainly on cardio which needs carbs. Definitely don't stick with it if you're experiencing negative side affects (aches, mood swings, etc.).