Help?

Options
Okay, I need some opinions. For the past few days, I haven't eaten anything in the morning. All the food I look at makes me want to throw up. Then, after several hours, I will get stomach cramps from being hungry, and try to make up for the lack of calories by eating a lot.

It's pretty close to binge eating, but I could just me sick...

What do you think?

Replies

• EQV73
    EQV73 Posts: 41
    Options
    We all know that breakfast is key since it probably has been at least eight hours before you ate anything prior to that. What is it that you're trying to eat? Can you start light with just some fruit or a protein shake? It's not a lot of calories but at least it's a start.

It could simply be just stress and you may need to force yourself to eat something that is easy on the stomach.

Maybe even simply drinking a big glass of water first thing (stupid theory alert but... it could help get you to want to eat something after you realize that you're not filled by just water).
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    We all know that breakfast is key since it probably has been at least eight hours before you ate anything prior to that. What is it that you're trying to eat? Can you start light with just some fruit or a protein shake? It's not a lot of calories but at least it's a start.

It could simply be just stress and you may need to force yourself to eat something that is easy on the stomach.

Maybe even simply drinking a big glass of water first thing (stupid theory alert but... it could help get you to want to eat something after you realize that you're not filled by just water).

We definitely DON'T all know that. In fact, those of us that are current on our nutrition know that meal timing is irrelevant, and there are lots of very successful people here that never eat breakfast and intentionally fast for 14-18 hours, daily.

OP you have two options, either try to find something that doesn't make you sick, or plan your calories better so that you don't overeat later in the day. But, if you do skip breakfast, you get more calories for your meals later on in the day- so it's not bingeing to eat more than you normally would if you had eaten breakfast. I prefer to eat a lot in the evenings, so I almost never eat before 1 or 2pm, then have ~500 calories, and then I have over 1000 cals left for dinner. That's not bingeing- it's just organizing my calories the way I prefer to have them.

The breakfast jump-starting your metabolism thing is a pretty well-debunked myth.
  • runningshoes7
    Options
    Okay, thanks. I'll try to eat a little bit more, and you're right, it's probably stress. Thanks!
  • runningshoes7
    Options
    I never eat before noon or so either. But it's gotten a bit worse since I went on break, so I was just a bit worried. That's reassuring, thanks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    I also eat two meals a day. One of about 400-500, and one of about 1000. I've maintained my weight by doing this. The "eat breakfast" thing - is a myth.

Eat in the way you want that makes it easiest for you. You will stick with that naturally.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

This was my first thought! Sounds like me when I was pregnant.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

My first thought too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

We definitely DON'T all know that. In fact, those of us that are current on our nutrition know that meal timing is irrelevant, and there are lots of very successful people here that never eat breakfast and intentionally fast for 14-18 hours, daily.

OP you have two options, either try to find something that doesn't make you sick, or plan your calories better so that you don't overeat later in the day. But, if you do skip breakfast, you get more calories for your meals later on in the day- so it's not bingeing to eat more than you normally would if you had eaten breakfast. I prefer to eat a lot in the evenings, so I almost never eat before 1 or 2pm, then have ~500 calories, and then I have over 1000 cals left for dinner. That's not bingeing- it's just organizing my calories the way I prefer to have them.

The breakfast jump-starting your metabolism thing is a pretty well-debunked myth.
    Gee! I know the same things you know and don't know at all the things you don't know. Myths die hard!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    We all know that breakfast is key

I am thankful that I no longer believe this because it isn't true
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

^^^^ This
  • EQV73
    EQV73 Posts: 41
    Options

Gee! I know the same things you know and don't know at all the things you don't know. Myths die hard!!

Okay, my bad on opening up with me representing the entire internet community with a "we all know" statement let alone with a statement that was quickly debunked in a way that only the internet allows. I walked into that one and should have thought through that obviously. So, to the original poster, it's best to ignore my comment and to the mythbusters out there, thanks for the correction.

Now you have me Googling away to get more current!

For the record: I LOVE breakfast and I'll use any myth out there to justify me eating in the morning. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    For the record: I LOVE breakfast and I'll use any myth out there to justify me eating in the morning. :)

loving it is justification enough

never deny love
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

My first thought too.

COMPLETELY!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Okay, I need some opinions. For the past few days, I haven't eaten anything in the morning. All the food I look at makes me want to throw up. Then, after several hours, I will get stomach cramps from being hungry, and try to make up for the lack of calories by eating a lot.

It's pretty close to binge eating, but I could just me sick...

What do you think?

It sounds like stress, pregnancy, or illness. It won't hurt to go without breakfast but maybe a cup of hot tea and a little toast or crackers would make your tummy feel better. It's only been 2 days also.....nothing is wrecked by 2 days of a different pattern of eating. We're mostly all doing that this time of year. Maybe plan your calories for the remainder of the day so you don't overeat. Again, it will not harm you to eat below goal calories for a week or 2.