Running in the morning

Options
Someone told me that you burn more calories in the early morning rather than later in the day. Is there any truth to this?

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    No

Edited to add this... If you have more energy in the morning and are able to run further or faster, you could burn more calories. But if you ran the same route, at the same speed, and all you changed was the time of day you completed the same workout, your body would use the same number of calories.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Myth busted but many people are more likely to keep up an early morning exercise routine versus an evening one.
  • Lucy177
    Options
    If you haven' t eaten breakfast you will have less glycogen to burn therefore you burn more body fat first thing in the morning. Go for it ! Enjoy it ! and keep it up! X
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    If you haven' t eaten breakfast you will have less glycogen to burn therefore you burn more body fat first thing in the morning. Go for it ! Enjoy it ! and keep it up! X

This. And also under such conditions your use of fat as energy source will improve.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No- Let your schedule and energy dictate when you exercise, not myths about marginally higher calorie burns. You will burn the most calories when you have the most energy to exercise and the flexibility to keep doing your workouts on a long-term basis.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I saw a news report on the New Orleans news to the effect that exercise in the morning is LESS helpful than during the afternoon. Kind of irritated me, actually, because I saw it while on the treadmill one morning! I have no idea if that report is accurate, or what the full story is.