Vanity Sizing, Progress, and Motivation All in One Picture!

Options
Someone posted a thread yesterday about vanity size clothes which was hilarious because of all the confusion it causes when designers do this to us. Someone else posted a progress thread with some different jeans that I just adored. So here is my contribution to the hilarity (and okay, a bit of a brag on how far I've come and a reminder to me on how far I have to go!).

12938175_7873.jpg

The horrid print that could easily be mistaken for a tablecloth is a 3x, and the waistband was snug. I was wearing that last year when I joined MFP. The next is my vanity jeans, they claim to be a 10, but since I can now get them off and on without unbuttoning them, I'd say they're a 12. The next pair is the 11s I took today's muffintop motivation shot in. They're 10-11-ish. The next pair claims to be a 9 and probably is, the pair after that claims to be a 10 but is probably a 7-8. The black skirt claims to be a size 4 petite, it's probably a 6. The next pair are size 6 jeans and probably are. They never fit great on me because I bought them when I was skinny-fat, so they are my final goal jeans. The last pair claims to be a 6 but pretty sure they're a 3-4 since even at my skinniest I never got those zipped (bought them without trying them on at a thrift store). I'm not sure I ever want to wear those.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Whoops finally got it to post.
  • vivacegal
    Options
    Did you have a weight loss procedure done?

Great job...either way. :)
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i hate vanity sizing. they even do it to men's pants now. just do it by inches so that i don't have to try on 500 pairs of pants.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Nope, no surgery. Going to take that as a compliment, though! I have a ways to go before I can wear even the 11s without a muffintop, but I'll get there.

@iuew: NOOOO not men's pants, too! Those were my last bastion of sanity for when I wanted to know my real size!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Seriously? They are starting to do it to men's pants as well? Wow. That is so aggravating.

Almost as aggravating as the never ending posts of people asking girls what size we wear.

In this case SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!

I have seen a women who weighed 230 lbs and one that weighed 130 pounds, both say that they wore size 12 jeans. So a size 12, or 16, or 10, whatever, doesn't mean squat! All that matters is body fat% and body measurements.

Now, to the OP. GREAT JOB! On your weight loss success! And yes, it is very silly how the sizing varies. Thanks for giving us a great visual!
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Great progress. keep it going. I have found that my middle is the last place that shrinks.
    I buy my jeans at the local Harley Davidson shop. The sizes are real.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Thanks all! Edited the photo to put the claimed sizes in. Really crazy what designers do to us!
  • flutternfly
    Options
    So proud of you Mara! I know how hard you have worked to get done what you have accomplished! You'll make it to the perfect pair!