How do I manage exercising and calories?

Hi All, I am new to MFP. I work as a RN on a very busy Med/Surg Floor. When I add just walking to my food and exercise diary I am asked to increase my caloric intake. At 1480 calories a day, I have to add beans and peanut butter to my intake to get to my required caloric intake. I just can not eat any more. What am I doing wrong? For this reason I do not add my walks to my exercise.
Another thing, I am always over my protein limit but never over daily caloric intake, is this bad or good? HELP!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    How do you have yourself set up in MFP (i.e. sedentary, light active, moderate, etc)? As far as the protein and other macros go, MFP's default is pretty crappy IMHO, but it really depends on what you're trying to do. I set my macros at 40 carb/30protein/30 healthy fats to help me preserve muscle while I'm losing weight...I'm also starting to lift and I need the protein for that as well. Unless you're doing some serious exercise and lifting, most health care professionals advise protein to be no more than 30% of your calories as it can be hard on the kidneys. A lot of people do 50/25/25 which is where I started. MFP has it pretty carbo loaded in the default setting. You can definitely go over your macros without going over your calories. As to whether that is good or bad, again, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I like to be within a couple % points with my macros.
  • Yes, it is important to control your intake levels. Your goal is to have properly balanced meal plan to achieve maximum results. You are going to have to find quality foods with higher caloric levels and in the proper categories of your meal plan. It's a numbers thing that has to be resolved. You can figure this out with just a little help. You are definitely in the right place for getting this information. Start by using this simple rule of thumb: 40% Carbs, 30% Proteins,and 30% Fats. This is just a guide line, not a law. That leaves room for adjustments. Just keep heading in the direction of your goal and you'll be fine.Now as to increasing your caloric intake.

Try to think of it like this; You take a VW Bug to a drag race track to do the 1/4 mile. The bug goes down the track and it takes say 45 sec. just for the sake of conversation. Now the bug has a round shape, looks more like a ball and is slow, however it doesn't hardly use much fuel to get down the track. The bug also only has maybe 145 horsepower.

Now picture this; you take a top-fuel drag race car out to the track. The top-fuel car is lean, and sleek, it looks really good. So it goes down the track and say it takes 4 sec. just for the sake of conversation. The top-fuel racer goes down the track 10 times faster than the VW bug and it looks a hell of a lot better while it's doing the same job, and it has maybe 650 horsepower so it takes maybe 10 times more fuel to travel the same distance.

So now I have a question for you. Which would you rather be at the drag race track, the VW Bug or the Top-fuel race car?
    I choose to look like and run like the Top-Fuel race car.

I hope this helps you to understand what it truly is that you're trying to achieve. If I can help in any other way please send me a friend request.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Hi All, I am new to MFP. I work as a RN on a very busy Med/Surg Floor. When I add just walking to my food and exercise diary I am asked to increase my caloric intake. At 1480 calories a day, I have to add beans and peanut butter to my intake to get to my required caloric intake. I just can not eat any more. What am I doing wrong? For this reason I do not add my walks to my exercise.
    Another thing, I am always over my protein limit but never over daily caloric intake, is this bad or good? HELP!

What do you mean you are having trouble eating 1480 calories? How did you get to where you need to lose weight? That makes no sense. Eat higher calorie foods. Drink some juice. Have a cookie or a piece of cake or a handful of nuts.
  • chemhe
    chemhe Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks so much for your input. I got to where I need to loose some weight because after my second child I had my OB/GYN insert the Mirena IUD for me, Started to see a weight gain that I did not understand. Never used any hormonal family planning before. My OB/GYN disagrees with me and that is fine. I had the Mirena removed after 3 years and I have not gained another pound since. I also work at night and is sleep deprived if you ask me. I know working nights can be hard on the body. I think I have also put my body in starvation mode. I will not eat on time or will skip meals here and there. I am active but could not get to the gym as often as I would have like; Not a big fan of sweets. Again thanks and your suggestions are welcome.
  • chemhe
    Thanks for you advice. Very helpful.
  • chemhe
    Thanks CWolfman, taking a look at my set up now. I appreciate your input.