Question about bread and butter pickles

Options
Does the nutritional value on a jar of bread and butter pickles include just the pickle pieces, or the pickle pieces plus the liquid (which is loaded with sugar and salt)? If the latter, any guess on how to calculate for JUST the pickle pieces? I am sure the pickle pieces pick up SOME of the sugar and salt in the liquid, but a LOT of the sugar and salt (and hence, calories) must go down the drain with the liquid. Any ideas?

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I would assume that the calories include the juice. Take the total calories per jar, count the pickles and divide by that number for each one you eat.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would assume that the calories include the juice. Take the total calories per jar, count the pickles and divide by that number for each one you eat.

But if the total calories per jar includes the juice, then I would be way overestimating the calories and the sodium in the actual pickle chips themselves.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think the food tracker allows you to track the juice and pickle separately.

Interesting question.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Look on the jar. It will say "Serving size" Usually it will say like "5 pieces" or "5 pieces and 1 tablespoon juices" No pickle I have ever found INCLUDED the juice. Bread and butter pickles are NOT good diet choices-but are oh so yummy.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

But if the total calories per jar includes the juice, then I would be way overestimating the calories and the sodium in the actual pickle chips themselves.
    That's right. You see, the whole thing about this calorie counting thing is that it's all a big estimate without nearly the precision people imagine it to be. Count the juice and pour it out. You will then overestimate your consumption rather than underestimate, which would be worse. And it won't necessarily be by very much.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Canned/jar items and calorie counts:

Items where the juice is not eaten is not included in the calorie count. So for your bread and butter pickles, the serving size only includes the solid piece taken straight from the jar/can.

Items where the juice can be eaten (for example, pineapple and the juice) the serving size is for the solid only taken straight from the can/jar. The juice is counted as a separate entity and is logged as such.

So don't drink your pickle juice if you can't find it in the system to log as it is separate in calories to your pickles. :drinker: