1200 calories for Christmas Eve Dinner

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
So my Grandma is getting up there in age. Grandpa died last year and I don't think she has many more left.
She makes these amazing pierogi. They are potato cheese, fried in butter and onions and do not look at all like Mrs T's in the grocery. Theses are like the old world kind.

This year I'm going to try to limit myself to 1200 calories in pierogi. This Polish boy needs them, but I also want left overs!.
I'll do my best to pre-log the rest of dinner.

On my Italian side, Grandpa used to make eel and smelt. He's gone, so I don't get those anymore,

Do you have any holiday foods that you just can't get any other time? What is are they?

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My grandmother passed last year, and she used to make corn bread from scratch in a 100 year old iron skillet. That stuff was amazing. She also cooked green beans with a huge ham hock and her pinto beans with a little lard. All of that was delicious.

I probably ate closer to 3000 calories of it instead of 1200 though heh... I never ate that stuff except at Christmas or Thanksgiving when she made it.

I had the perogis you're talking about once at a Ukrainian friend's house. They were amazing. I'd love to learn how to make them.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Well my grandmum always makes cherry pie. She pulls her dentures out and uses her gums to pinch in the edges of the pie dough before making it. So only at christmas do I get to eat a denture cherry pie.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    OH YES PIEROGIS
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am not ukranian or polish, but a lot of people in my province are - did you know the 2nd most spoken language in Manitoba is Ukranian? Anyway, everyone here eats perogies at Christmas, I held myself to just one last night, but Christmas dinner might not go so well. We have made them before, but tend to buy them off some Baba's from the country.

Tourtiere is the other thing we have only at Christmas. And fruitcake.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    mmmm
  • lizzyholiman
    lizzyholiman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OH YES PIEROGIS

Oh my gosh....Another Homestuck fan!!!?! Yeeeeesssss:heart:

And we get the frozen kind of peirogees most of the time... Doesn't beat the homemade kind but they're good enough. Have fun and enjoy yourself on Christmas! I know I'm not going to be logging anything!:laugh:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Eastern European family traditions for me, so Christmas eve was always deep fried white fish and potato salad, and dinner the next night was roasted duck or goose with Lokše (potato/flour pancakes) topped with duck fat and salt *drool* and chestnut cream cake for dessert.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    First Christmas without cartellate, S cookies, and tarallini since my zia died this past spring :(
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    DUDE NO...It's one day a year. Make grammy happy. You can count calories all the other days of the year.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I was brought up on then too as mum is Ukrainian. I only get them every couple of years now since I've moved so maybe it's time to make some myself. Love them!