Handstands!

Options
Any tips, drills, and/or recommendations to try to build up strength to do a handstand?

So far, I've been practicing by trying to hold myself up against a wall for as long as I can. It's tough!!

I'm far from gymnast status and am still working on building upper body strength. Just thought this would be a fun skill to have :)

Replies

• SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Push ups! Chin ups?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Overhead Press
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    yoga! we do them all the time.

I still can't do this though. :(
    yogaforbeginnersstrength.jpg
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    google hand stand push ups

I once saw an awesome video of a guy doing these

it also had pistol squats

both are extreme examples of someone who is ultra fit

I am working on both. I can do pistols and push ups with my feet about chest high on the wall but not totally there yet

it would be cool to walk around on your hands and will take a lot of strength and practice

good luck
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Overhead Press

+1
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    theres lots of good tips on pinterest.... under the health an fitness tab
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Overhead Press

Can you do handstands?

I think just practicing handstands gets you there. A girl at my gym does great handstands but her overhead press is super weak. She can walk on her hands forever too.
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    good form is the trick to balancing away from the wall.

Make sure your body is in a straight line. Your head should not stick out, it should be in line with your body just like in a pushup.

When I coach my kids on how to do a handstand I always tell them to keep their head in between their arms, straight arms and legs, and make sure not to arch their back.

Hope this helps.
  • tassshhhaaa
    tassshhhaaa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been a gymnast most my life. Handstands actually are a lot more about whole body. If you don't squeeze your butt and legs, you won't be able to hold it! When you're doing them against the wall, do them with your stomach to the wall, trying to make your back not archy, but round/straight.

If you can hold it, do them a little bit away from the wall and only use the wall if you're falling back... so try to stay balanced and use the wall for when you start falling. Kick off the wall and try to hold it.. just don't kick too hard, or you'll fall over! :]
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Wall walks.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've been a gymnast most my life. Handstands actually are a lot more about whole body. If you don't squeeze your butt and legs, you won't be able to hold it! When you're doing them against the wall, do them with your stomach to the wall, trying to make your back not archy, but round/straight.

If you can hold it, do them a little bit away from the wall and only use the wall if you're falling back... so try to stay balanced and use the wall for when you start falling. Kick off the wall and try to hold it.. just don't kick too hard, or you'll fall over! :]
    This!

A very big part of the balance for hand stand comes from your core! It's not all about arm strength, it's about body position and keeping everything tight. They are NOT easy but it is something you can learn to do. I suggest starting with a fore-arm hand stand since it gives you more surface area to work ith

I lack the strength to do one now but all you really need to get a hand stand is body weight exercises.

Maybe someday you'll be able to do this: Haha it's my dream! But look at how straight and alined her body is. That's the key to being able to do a hand stand.
    shawn_zps6533d329.jpg
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    yoga! we do them all the time.

I still can't do this though. :(
    yogaforbeginnersstrength.jpg

awesome

I would be surprised if very many folks here can do that. I would love to be able to do that and someday I may ..................................get close
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

This!

A very big part of the balance for hand stand comes from your core! It's not all about arm strength, it's about body position and keeping everything tight. They are NOT easy but it is something you can learn to do. I suggest starting with a fore-arm hand stand since it gives you more surface area to work ith

I lack the strength to do one now but all you really need to get a hand stand is body weight exercises.

Maybe someday you'll be able to do this: Haha it's my dream! But look at how straight and alined her body is. That's the key to being able to do a hand stand.
    shawn_zps6533d329.jpg

that is inspiring as hell
  • tassshhhaaa
    tassshhhaaa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    shawn_zps6533d329.jpg

I really want to try and see if I could do it... That might be embarrassing in the gym though!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Do you have a wall or pole you can do it against? In yoga we have them do it against the wall many times. :)

handstand_against_pole_by_xxlilbutterflyxx-d3gm9n0.jpg
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    :wink: Just keep doing what you're doing; core strength is important when training for handstands. I always do mine against the pole, so I don't do many "free" handstands.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if you guys are gonna keep posting pics like that, i'm just gonna hang out here for the rest of the evening
  • go3gurl2go1
    Options
    Should have known...core strength! The key to so many excersises.

Thank you all for the advice! I'm excited to try some to see what works best.

All the pictures are SOOO inspiring and motivating!! Keep 'em coming :)