Men mid to late 30s trying to get in better shape?

Options
I'm a foodie and love to eat all kinds of food. I almost wish for a blander palette so that I wouldn't crave food as much. I've even tried to switch to such a diet so that it fits right in line with "eat to live not live to eat" mantra. I've pretty much eliminated all sodas and drink mostly water daily. I've cut down on drinking to just once a week or so. Went from beer to scotch (lower calories for what I drink). I've gradually increased my workouts to about twice or three times a week. My physical activities are slightly limited due to spinal fusion surgery a few years ago (no compression lifting or running). I like to look at the diaries to get good ideas of what people are eating and doing for workouts. It helps me a lot and motivates me. Anyone else dealing something similar?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    UHH...well, I'm outside your age range (41) but I gave up beer and soda, and i got such drastic and immediate changes, I have had no desire to go back. I used to drink a 12 pack of Stella Artois or Peroni by myself on a weekly basis as a baseline...plus whatever else i drank with friends. I drank as much soda as I wanted, without even attempting to count it. These vices were the first I gave up, and I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. After I started logging my food, I gave up orange juice...i pretty much only drink water now.
    When I was fatter, the treadmill really bothered my hips and knees, so I have pretty much stuck to the elliptical...it really burns calories, so i have stuck with it. I bike ride alot too.
    Try different things in the gym, I am sure you will find many things that help you meet your goals. Good luck!
  • amrmatt
    Options
    I just got started at this. Within the past week. I have no advice to offer. I did cut out beer for the most part. I drank 12 or so a day. I now drink less than 12 a week. Never have liked sodas, so that was easy. I don't really have a specific food vice. I like it all. On the fattening stuff I'm going to use extreme portion control. I plan to eat as health as I can. I will get this done. Just have to retrain the bad habits into good ones.
  • icepak24
    icepak24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to go nuts with beer. Then I went nuts with scotch. Now it's pretty much under control except for when I go out.
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Me too, just turned 39 and I'm trying to make a big change. I've joined a gym and since I joined MFP, I've lost 20 lbs. But, I'm not eating just salad or anything. I'm eating what I like but less of it and staying within my calorie limits. Add me if you like...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'll hit thirty in march.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason why you chose an age range for this post?
  • icepak24
    Options
    In hindsight, I should not have limited the age range. My initial thought was to find other men in the same boat as me.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to turn 41, but am troubled back back issues as well. Working on getting off the weight I'd racked up when sedentary following surgery, so I feel your pain (literally and figuratively)....
  • icepak24
    Options
    I've got a cyborg back (titanium implants due to spinal fusion) so I have to work around that.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm around your age. I switched to craft beer. I can only drink about half of what I used to on the "other" stuff.
  • icepak24
    Options
    Love craft beer myself but have limited drinking it to just occasions.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    For what it's worth, here are some key ingredients that seem to have helped me and at 45, almost 46, I was able to drop 50+ pounds since July.

1. Drink water, semi-easy to do, but especially because I bought something called 'Soda Stream' that allowed me the carbination I crave, but none of the syrups of soda. Also, I eliminated sugar from my coffee.

2. I try to make sure I have fruit as my first meal and until recently, never ate anything that wasn't fruit until about noon (I might go back to that).

For exercise, you know the constraints of your back, so it would be silly to give much advice on that one. for me, it was a return to weights, getting back into bicycling and making sure to do something active every day.
  • icepak24
    Options
    I drink mostly water now. I also drink my coffee black and tea unsweetened. I try to add fruits for breakfast.