first 5K, never thought I'd say that

Options
Last year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and promptly put on several different medications that did nothing for me but help me gain 50 pounds in a year. I was in pain every day, couldn't sleep, and it took everything I had just to take care of my then-3-year-old son. I ballooned up to almost 400 pounds and I was utterly miserable. I hardly left the house because I was in pain and embarrassed about my weight and just plain exhausted. It wasn't until I found a natural supplement that reduced my pain and helped me sleep that I was able to start recovering. Once my sleep was back to normal, I was able to quit all the nasty medications I was on and start working on losing weight.

I have lost 50 pounds just since July of this year, and am working on taking my body back from obesity and fibromyalgia. I still have painful days, but have decided that I can either sit and hurt, or exercise and hurt. I choose to exercise and hurt. I started walking on my treadmill daily.

When my local YMCA class catalog came, I noticed an ad for a 5K on the back and thought, I can do that. So I signed up and started getting ready for the race. It was great motivation to get up and do something even when I didn't want to.

Yesterday, at 330 pounds, I completed my first race in just under 57 minutes. My son held my hand and walked with me across the finish line, yelling "you won, mommy!" And even though I came in last place, it really did feel like I had won.

Next year I plan to run it. :)

Replies

• Ticeann22
    Options
    you did win...what an awesome accomplishment! Keep up the good work!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. You won the moment you decided to take back your life. Your son is absolutey correct. YOU'RE A WINNER. I'm proud of ya and I hope you accomplish all of you fitness goals. ROCK ON! :)
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    way to go.. you got this.. keep doing what you are doing and you will be a winner everytime.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Your son is right. You are a winner!
  • quishajuice
    quishajuice Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That is an AWESOME accomplishment!!! Congrats!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    You did win, you finished! and you did what alot of others haven't :) you should be very proud of yourself.
    Next year not only will you do the 5k, you will do the 10k!!!
    You rock!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Your son is right. You are a winner!

^ This. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • Sweetfi
    Sweetfi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    OMG what a great story! Thank you for posting that. The little people in our lives really know just what to say, don't they? You did win. And by posting this you are helping other people win. I'm gong to run a 5 K in June. Thanks for a little bump in my resolve!
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Keep it up and youll be wanting to crush the 10k!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Wonderful story. Thank you for sharing
  • chrtyA
    chrtyA Posts: 39
    Options
    Awesome! What an inspiration you should be proud! Keep it up
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Nicely done. I am glad you are proud of yourself, because you should be!
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You are amazing and a great example to your son. He obviously looks up to you and adores you. Great job!!! If you haven't tried it, the pool is a great place to exercise when your fibro flares up.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • jbobb15
    jbobb15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What an amazing, inspiring story!!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! What a motivator: my goal also this year is a 5k!
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am with your son on this one!!
    He sounds like one clever kid, especially for his age :)
    That has bought me to tears, give him a hug from me.

Congratulations!! What an amazing achievement and thanks for sharing!!
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This almost brought tears to my eyes. SO PROUD OF YOU *hugs!* This is very inspirational! I am running my very first 5k on Jan. 20th but I keep getting down on myself saying I can't do it but you give me hope that I can and I need to get running outside ASAP! :) thank you for sharing!
  • ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is a great achievement.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Congrats and you are a warrior!!! I am speaking as a husband of a woman that suffers from fibro. If I may ask, what is the supplement you are currently on? If you dont want to post, would you please send it to me in a private message...thanks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!