What was your weight loss journey like?

Those of you who reached your weight loss goals. What was the weight loss journey like? Did you sort of stick it out and diet strictly until you lost the weight, or did you mess up along the way? How long and badly did you stray from your diet? I am at the very beginning of my weight loss journey and I am frequently ruining all of my dieting efforts with binges. At this point, it feels like the weight will never come off. Also, for those of you who did not need to lose weight, but just wanted to lose 10-20 pounds to look better, what did you do to lose the weight? Is it more difficult to lose weight when you don't have much to lose?
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply to this!

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    I strayed off course like a mutha. I exceeded my weight loss goals by working out like a beast, and by going out on long (2/3/4 hour) bike rides once a week. Honestly, the hardest thing was being patient and not expecting immediate results.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    I bobbed around with great workouts and barely a diet for a long time. It came off very slowly. When I finally wanted the rest of it off though, something clicked in my head, and it came off. Its all about committing but yes, we all mess up. That's why a reasonable diet and focusing on counting calories works. Its doable in the real world.
  • Im actually shocked how easy it was to lose 83 lbs starting at the age of 41. Not saying my journey didnt include alot of sacrifice, sweat and dedication but I thought it was going to be alot harder.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    I was all over the place in the beginning, and really, throughout the process. I had a lot of over-calorie days, and my food choices were very bad for the first several months. It took me 48 weeks to lose 55 lbs - so right about the average.....but it is difficult to learn new ways of being in the world, and there will be many, many slip-ups. My exercise was the same. Still is.

I think maintaining is just as difficult. I've kept it off - more or less. The winter ten pounds gets me every year, and I lose it again every summer. I've decided it's just Nature, and I don't stress it as much. It's been five years for me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    The winter ten pounds gets me every year, and I lose it again every summer. I've decided it's just Nature, and I don't stress it as much. It's been five years for me.

with all due respect , I would not take this approach.

I agree its good not to stress over it, but there is no valid reason to pack on 10 pounds every winter and then have to take it off every summer.

you can maintain your weight with diligence. You dont need to be over zealous about it and with a lot of time, eating right and exercising can become just part of your life and it isnt that big of a deal.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Mine was tedious. Relearning everything and learning new things. I became consumed with improving myself. I weigh daily, so every night I go to bed wondering if the weight loss Santa is going to leave me a scale of rewards or a scale of coal. No, I never binge. I did give myself a week or so off when I would reach goals. I found that I was ready to restart sooner than I planned. Mentally, I think I tend toward being obessive. I planned to give myself Dec, 14 (my birthday) off until January 2nd. I find myself going under my calorie goal anyway. I feel I am obsessing because I can't splurge even when I should. I do eat healthy and am trying to learn more about nutrition and fitness. It's a long road back to daily, reflexive health.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Losing it seems easier than maintaining it...of course maybe it is just the holidays...best of luck you can do it!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    The hardest part of my journey was the years i spent getting fat and not caring about myself. Once i took that first step, and realized i had a serious problem and i wanted to do something about it, it has been very easy. I did seek professional help for nutrition and fitness. I am now in the process of learning to eat properly on my own, and it isnt hard, but it is time consuming and its actually kinda fun. I love this whole learning experience. Proper diet and exercise will be a part of my life forever.
  • I started a 90 day challenge September 1, I went astray alot, but when my instructor told me and told me, that this weight did not go on over night, I finally realized, it did not go on over night. I learned to be patient and as long as the scale was going in the right direction, I was happy. At the end of the 90 days, I had lost, by diet control and exercise, 39.2 pounds. My first goal was to lose 30 pounds in 90 days, then I set it to lose another 10. I didn't reach that, but was close. Hang in there and remeber, it did not go on over night!!!
  • Thanks to everyone who answered, your answers were really helpful!
    :)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    First I started with exercising using DVDs at home and did that for about a year. I lost almost nothing, but it changed my body composition. So while I was technically similar weight-wise at the end of the year I looked really different. Then I started tracking calories, eating at a deficit, and including fitness classes into my routine and now I am within 5 lbs of my goal. I didn't have a lot to lose to begin with but along with getting fit I was focussing on changing bad habits I developed in grad school.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I'm one of those people that didn't have a lot to lose. People say that is more difficult, but I did not feel it was at all. I actually lost more than what I had intended, but I'm fine with that because I am not any less than I have been at other times in my life. I would not want to lose anymore, though (so I upped my calories). I lifted weights, that helps a lot and is very effective and efficient. Counting calories is great and eating a healthy diet with flexibility of course. I actually thought I was eating at maintenance, but lost weight. So, if you don't have a lot to lose, eat a small deficit and take your time. Slower is better when you don't have a lot of fat to lose. And that way you transition easily into maintenance and don't regain.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Long and arduous.

Still going.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!