Anyone have a spinal fussion on L4-S1?

Options
I am facing major back surgery and am absolutely terrified about the recovery time. I don't want to do any damage to my body but I also don't want to gain weight and loose muscle mass either.

Could y'all tell me about this.

Replies

• dale_bell
    Options
    I just recently had a TLIF Spinal Fusion on my L5-S1. I spent 4 days in the hospital after the surgery and I was able to walk around the next day after surgery with a walker. I also have to wear a back brace for the next 6 - 8 weeks
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Double laminectomy double discectomy L4 L5
    No fusion, as I was too young @ 21 when I had the surgery in 2002.

Feel free to FR me if you like!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I just recently had a TLIF Spinal Fusion on my L5-S1. I spent 4 days in the hospital after the surgery and I was able to walk around the next day after surgery with a walker. I also have to wear a back brace for the next 6 - 8 weeks

Good info...

yea, they actually MAKE you walk around, at least they did for me. Then had to go to PT. I still have good days and bad days.

I did a foolish thing the first few years after my surgery, and stayed away from most exercise.
  • Amach37
    Amach37 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually yes, I had a spinal fusion in 1999 and then again in 2004 of my L4-S1. They did an anterior AND posterior fusion with instrumentation and bone growth stimulator.

I was in the hospital for 8 days but while I was there I had occupational therapy - they show you how to do everyday tasks while being supportive to your back and so you don't disturb the fusion process. I also had extensive physical therapy for about 6 months after the surgeries. First a number of times a week then just once a week.

You need to talk to your therapists about your fears. Keep on them about keeping you active and ask them for exercises you can do at home in a chair or in bed - when you're not up to the heavy duty stuff.

All I can say is when you get the green light - keep moving!

Feel free to write me if you'd like to talk more about the surgery etc.!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Mine was at eh L-5 well that was my first one ( 2 seperate motorcycle wrecks, vrmmmm) The second was at the C-7/ T-1. Good luck to you......
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 back surgeries - C6-C6, C7-T1 fusion & L4-L5 Laminectomy. I was cut on day 1 in the PM & released from the hospital that following morning both times.

While sounding quite terrifying, recovery for both wasn't as bad as one could imagine. The upper back surgery (fusions) required me to wear a neck brace for 6 weeks which was a pain in the neck (pun intended), but I was able to walk the next day, and walk comfortably the length of my property (we live in the sticks and have quite a lot of frontage) 3 days after going under the knife. The lower back surgery didn't require any bracing, I was able to walk for a bit the following day, but it took 3-4 days before I could go much farther than the bathroom & back.

I don't think you'll need to worry much about gaining tons of extra weight, you're not going to be down for that long, you'll likely be focused on recovery, and frankly - the pain meds that they'll likely give you will make you not care anyways. ;-)

Focus on your recovery, the doc will likely tell you to listen to your body, don't push too hard, but do get out there and use your back.

I hope your surgery goes as well as mine, I've been very pleased with the rapid recovery, and relatively pain-free life since.