Water!

Options
So I got the whole food thing down and now I want to know how much water you should drink or whatever I don't know all I drink is water but I feel like I don't drink enough and it's hard to drink a lot of water

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Drink as much as you feel you want. Water has no magic weight loss properties.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    First, you'll be a lot easier to understand if you punctuate your written sentences.

Second, 64 oz is a guideline because that's enough for most people. Your specific needs may be more or less than the recommended 8 cups; to find out how much you should be drinking, first track your normal water intake religiously for a week. Check to see if you're hydrated; if you are, your pee will be clear or almost clear. If not, it will be yellow and smell strongly. Adjust your intake accordingly. If you exercise, you'll need to drink more water throughout the day, not just while you're working out, to compensate. Once you figure out how much you specifically need, make sure you get that much water every day. 72-80 oz seems to be what I need, working out 5 days a week; so I have a 24-oz water bottle, and I make sure to empty and refill it three times every day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So I got the whole food thing down and now I want to know how much water you should drink or whatever I don't know all I drink is water but I feel like I don't drink enough and it's hard to drink a lot of water
    Drink when you are thirsty, stop when you are not. Stop trying to over complicate things. Also, everything you drink and most things you eat count toward hydration, so don't fixate yourself on a specific amount of a certain type of fluid.
  • Animallover32
    Animallover32 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me drink 64oz (8 8oz cups ) of water a day is by using a water jug that holds that much water. I fill it up every morning and make sure i drink it by the end of the day. Its a great way to track it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Drink when you are thirsty, stop when you are not. Stop trying to over complicate things. Also, everything you drink and most things you eat count toward hydration, so don't fixate yourself on a specific amount of a certain type of fluid.

Yep.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Many people have trouble with this. I created a blog entry about water and other liquids. Ways to make them easier to drink as well as how much, other options and links to research.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761
  • Nauti_Buoy
    Options
    Do not be afraid to be an Aquaholic:
    * Drink water alone
    * Always sneak a sip or two while your at work
    * When you first wake up you can crack open a bottle
    * When someone offers you another always say yes!
    * Feel free to drink and drive with it
  • zena92
    zena92 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Do not be afraid to be an Aquaholic:
    * Drink water alone
    * Always sneak a sip or two while your at work
    * When you first wake up you can crack open a bottle
    * When someone offers you another always say yes!
    * Feel free to drink and drive with it

hahah THIS ^^^^
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I heard you take your weight divide by 2 then divide by 8 ... thats how many glasses you should be drinking. I dont care what anyone says, drinking lots of water IS the majic tip in losing weight. It works for me!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I heard you take your weight divide by 2 then divide by 8 ... thats how many glasses you should be drinking. I dont care what anyone says, drinking lots of water IS the majic tip in losing weight. It works for me!

Eating at a caloric deficit works for me. I drink no plain water and it has not stopped my weight loss. Fluids can be obtained from many sources.
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just read an article yesterday on the Mayo Clinics website about this.According to the Mayo it does not have to be just water.They are saying to count all fluids as water,or as liquid intake.Also stated there is no solid evidence backing up the 8 glasses at 8 oz a day.They said its just a theory.Me personally I drink about 3/4 to a 1 gallon a day.Not sure I need that much.I just love ice cold water!
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I try to drink at least 64 oz a day. I usually drink 16 oz as soon as I wake up and then I try to drink the rest with my meals (so I feel full faster) and then I drink any extra I feel I need.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Drink enough to make sure your urine is pale......if it gets dark, increase your fluid intake. If it's pale, you're good.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Agreed. I don't drink much straight water. I don't enjoy it all that much.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I disagree about drinking "when you are thirsty." If you feel really thirsty, you are already dehydrated. No, it doesn't have to be complicated but you do have to pay attention to how much you are getting.

I have to kind of force myself to drink enough water and build the habit - I never used to get enough water. I now make sure I get 8 cups (64 oz) or more even if I am not thirsty, and even if that means drinking 3 cups at once at the end of the day (which will make me get up at night, true). I am still trying to get in the habit of drinking more in the first half of the day. I could probably drink even more. As a treat, once a day one glass of water is carbonated with a touch of lemon. :)

Being properly hydrated has so many benefits! And there are huge detriments to letting yourself get dehydrated. For seniors (I don't mean you), it's one of the leading causes of hospitalization. Long-term, chronic dehydration can cause kidney stones and other health issues. Short-term, dehydration causes headaches, muscle aches, and fatigue. It's not just about weight loss.

http://women.webmd.com/news/20120120/even-mild-dehydration-may-cause-emotional-physical-problems
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg

I was waiting for someone to show up with the "if you wait until you''re thirsty, you're dehydrated," fallacy. OF COURSE YOU'RE SLIGHTLY DEHYDRATED, THAT'S WHY YOU'RE THIRSTY. If you weren't slightly dehydrated, you wouldn't require more fluids, so you wouldn't be thirsty. When you aren't thirsty, your fluid level is balanced. When you drink when your fluid level is balanced, your body does not absorb any of the fluid you drink, as it doesn't need any, so it just eliminates it. In other words, if you're forcing yourself to drink just for the sake of drinking, you're just wasting water, as it does nothing for you but make you go to the bathroom more often.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I just read an article yesterday on the Mayo Clinics website about this.According to the Mayo it does not have to be just water.They are saying to count all fluids as water,or as liquid intake.Also stated there is no solid evidence backing up the 8 glasses at 8 oz a day.They said its just a theory.Me personally I drink about 3/4 to a 1 gallon a day.Not sure I need that much.I just love ice cold water!

This is correct.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements

(shameless posting of my own thread)
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg

I was waiting for someone to show up with the "if you wait until you''re thirsty, you're dehydrated," fallacy. OF COURSE YOU'RE SLIGHTLY DEHYDRATED, THAT'S WHY YOU'RE THIRSTY. If you weren't slightly dehydrated, you wouldn't require more fluids, so you wouldn't be thirsty. When you aren't thirsty, your fluid level is balanced. When you drink when your fluid level is balanced, your body does not absorb any of the fluid you drink, as it doesn't need any, so it just eliminates it. In other words, if you're forcing yourself to drink just for the sake of drinking, you're just wasting water, as it does nothing for you but make you go to the bathroom more often.

So sue me if I waste a few ounces of water. The benefits of remaining hydrated are well documented. Whether it's 6 or 8 or somewhat more, there are no health detriments to getting enough water. (I do know about "water poisoning" when people drink more than their kidneys can handle.)

For many people, the "thirst" feeling is delayed or ignored. It's not about hydrating your mouth, where you feel thirsty, all of your organs need the moisture. What's the problem with having the habit of drinking regularly? And, sure, there are other sources of hydration besides water but remember caffeine drinks are diuretics.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is a fallacy, but I know from personal experience if I keep my 100oz Big Gulp filled and try to drink as much of that sucker as I can my lips are softer, I'm not as hungry, my skin isnt dry, and I just feel better in general. Theres so much salt in our diets, obese people need a little extra fluid, and and it helps take the edge off hunger that I find drinking water very beneficial.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options

It does too.. not enough and you gain water weight, enough and suddenly you purge and drop a bunch in one day, and too much and you die. It is a dark dark sorcery.