New girl with 15 to lose

Options
Hey, I'm fairly new to MFP, I've been using it for almost a couple months now. I'm 25 and about 150 pounds. At my lowest I was 134 but I had lost the weight in a very unhealthy way and I'm pretty sure it messed up my metabolism. So I did gain some of the weight back just by eating normally what other people ate.
The MFP calculators have put me on a 1200 calorie diet (very hard) and I haven't lost a thing or seen any difference, I figure I just need to be patient and maybe work out more, but I find gym workouts to be boring and tedious. The only thing I did notice is that my curves have gotten bigger but the rest of me has stayed the same. I'm not sure what to make of that except for maybe just normal changes due to my age. Also, in the past week my appetite has gone up a LOT, my friend suggested this is due to the fact that my body is feeling the calorie deficit and trying to get me to eat more because it thinks I'm starving.
I've been doing this with my 2 male friends who have been way more successful on much higher calorie diets.
So yeah, somewhat frustrated, but still hopeful.
If anyone has some tips or good recipes I'd greatly appreciate it, and I'm open to having more fitness pals
cheers
Portia

Replies

• RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cals myself.It is hard,but the more you stick to it,the easier it gets.I know what it's like to put on weight(having had 3 kids) I'm 31 yrs old and I am 140 right now.After I had m ysecond child I got down to 120.I did it in a healthy way.Now After my third,I have only lost25 pounds so far.

But you'll get there.We both will.Add me if you like :)
  • packa1ta
    Options
    I'm new to this and I'm at 1200 calories too. I'm really nervous about how that will work for me..

As for your problem with gym workouts, my favorite thing to do while on the elliptical or bike is to read. I used to listen to music or watch TV, but I found myself just watching the clock the whole time. Now that I've started reading on my Kindle the time really flies!

Good luck!! :)
  • jacquitakelly
    Options
    I also have a 1200 calorie diet and believe me it is VERY hard but I've learned that fruit helps in a big way if u eat it throughout the day. Its also calorie free and very healthy and it keeps your body frm feeling like it is starving. Also if you exercise more you can eat more.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Lots of liquids, whole foods including fiber and protein...
    Make sure you should really be at 1200 calories. Don't try to eat below your BMR. Eat most of the calories added for the amount you exercise. Target ranges, not exact numbers. For instance, eat within 100 calories over or under your target each day -- sometimes over, sometimes under. Messing up one day doesn't matter. It's the small changes made repeatedly that will make a difference.
    Are you using the MFP goal setting? That's fine. There are also other "roadmaps" that can help.
    When you have less than 25 pounds to loose, you probably should have the MFP settings adjusted to 1/2 pound per week.
    For more collected advice and links to previous good posts, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
    Good luck!
  • BellinaStarr
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback and tips guys! It really helps and means a lot!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I also have a 1200 calorie diet and believe me it is VERY hard but I've learned that fruit helps in a big way if u eat it throughout the day. Its also calorie free and very healthy and it keeps your body frm feeling like it is starving. Also if you exercise more you can eat more.

What fruit are you eating that's calorie free?
  • Jerrielynn
    Options
    I to am on 1200 calories and am finding it very hard. I have lost then gained then lost and gained again. Men always lose weight quicker. I am determined to keep up with it this time. The only time I usually lose a lot of weight is when I am sick (I have Crohn's disease). I dislike exercising but do see a difference when I exercise regularly. Like a post on here to read when on the treadmill. Will have to give that a shot. Good luck to you and add me if you'd like
  • jacquitakelly
    Options

Sorry fruits are considered a negative calorie food
  • Robin_Bin
    Options

Sorry fruits are considered a negative calorie food

No.
    At least I've never seen anyone knowledgeable about food or nutrition consider them that way.
    Fruit is good for you and tends to be more nutritionally dense per calorie than many other foods, but it's not negative calories.
  • jacquitakelly
    Options

Sorry fruits are considered a negative calorie food which means your body has so use more energy to digest and could result in a loss of calories which is a great thing its on this website http://www.weightlossforall.com/negative-calorie-foods-list.htm
  • Robin_Bin
    Options

Sorry fruits are considered a negative calorie food which means your body has so use more energy to digest and could result in a loss of calories which is a great thing its on this website http://www.weightlossforall.com/negative-calorie-foods-list.htm

Quoting from the link you give, "We are unsure as to whether negative calorie foods are fact or fiction. There needs to be more research done in order to prove or disprove the theory."
    Can you give a reputable medical or research site? I can create a Web site saying that raindrops are made of candy canes, but that doesn't make it true.
  • jacquitakelly
    Options

Quoting from the link you give, "We are unsure as to whether negative calorie foods are fact or fiction. There needs to be more research done in order to prove or disprove the theory."
    Can you give a reputable medical or research site? I can create a Web site saying that raindrops are made of candy canes, but that doesn't make it true.

ok so one I was giving someone a little helpful advice fruit is not fattening so i don't worry if they have calories or not two i clearly stated the word "considered" i did not say I no I said considered so if this information was false i gave the website so the person could see for theirself you really don't have to be rude with your little comment because my advice was not for you
  • Robin_Bin
    Options

ok so one I was giving someone a little helpful advice fruit is not fattening so i don't worry if they have calories or not two i clearly stated the word "considered" i did not say I no I said considered so if this information was false i gave the website so the person could see for theirself you really don't have to be rude with your little comment because my advice was not for you

Not trying to be rude, and I don't think I was. Just trying to correct some misinformation. Thank you for posting the link when requested. As quoted above, that same page says that the information might not be correct. I agree that fruit is healthy. I didn't see anyone in this thread suggesting that it was not good to eat. However, a couple of us were concerned about the incorrect information that it should be considered a zero calorie food. It's important to take the advice, especially important advice like medical guidance, with some critical thought. (Critical thought is not always negative. It means to consider the source and the logic.)

There are a limited number of foods where the calorie count is so low compared to the bulk that it might not matter if you didn't count them. (The two I've seen mentioned on reputable sites were pickles and celery.) But in general, the "negative calorie" food rumors are myths and misinformation, often given by someone trying to sell something -- for instance, there are "negative calorie diets" all over the Web.

Here are some more references and quotes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_calorie_food
    While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence that any of the foods claimed as negative calorie foods are such.
    with references:
    ^ Snyderman, Dr. Nancy (May. 06, 2009). "There Are No Negative-Calorie Foods - Debunking 10 Myths About Dieting". Time.
    ^ Shepphird, Sari Fine (2009). "Question 74". 100 Questions & Answers About Anorexia Nervosa. Jones & Bartlett. p. 171. ISBN 978-0-7637-5450-1.

http://caloriecount.about.com/negative-calories-myth-explained-b349703
    "there are really no “negative calorie” foods that offer the body zero minus whatever calories. Calories wasted in extracting nutrients are already considered in calculating the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF)."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/negative-calorie-foods/AN02040
    "The Internet abounds with lists of purported negative-calorie foods — foods that supposedly take more energy to digest than they provide in calories. Many of these foods are vegetables and fruits, which can be part of an overall healthy diet plan. But they're probably not negative-calorie."

http://realdoctorstu.com/2012/04/11/does-eating-celery-burn-calories-the-science-about-negative-calorie-diets-finally/
    "So, the negative calorie diet fans are wrong: after being chewed, the fiber in celery gets passed through the gut and out the other end without the body doing too much to it on the way. Although that chewy celery stalk takes a while to munch – the gut doesn’t waste much time on it. No increased energy burn. No celery induced weight loss."
  • jacquitakelly
    Options
    thank you for the information
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    How big is your deficit?

Using the rough "BMR = weight in pounds * 10" calculation gives 1,500 kcal/day.

Another formula, "weight in kilos * 0.9 (female) * 24 hours" gives a BMR of 1,471 kcal/day.

Multiply by 1.3 (assuming lightly active) multiply by 1.1 for TEF gives a rough TDEE of 2,145 kcal/day.
    Multiply by 1.1 (sedentary) multiply by 1.1 for TEF gives a rough TDEE of 1,815 kcal/day (plus exercise).

Have you chosen 2 lb per week? 1% of body weight per week is considered safe and sustainable.

Personally, I divide my weight in pounds by a hundred, and round down to the nearest quarter of a pound (currently 2.25 lb/week). I then select the closest (rounding down) MFP goal (currently 2 lb), multiply what is left (0.25 lb) by 3,500 for a weekly 'under net calories' target, and divide by 7 for my daily target, not worrying if I eat more some days and go over my MFP goal calories.

I'd set a goal of 1.25 pound per week unless you are less than lightly active (in which case I'd go a pound per week). 1.25 * 3,500 / 7 = 625 kcal/day deficit. Add 1,815 equals 1,190 kcal/day.

Unless you are lying in bed or on the sofa all day, you should probably up your calories. Are you "eating back" your exercise calories, and are you logging most of your exercise? My suggestion: Set a MFP goal of 1 pound per week, and if you get out of bed have a daily 'under net calories' target (that's a green/non-negative "Net") of between 0 and 125.

ETA: A pound a week might be too much if you were sedentary. 1,815 - 1,500 = 315, *7 /3500 = 0.63 lb (call it half a pound per week). You should be eating at least 1,500 kcal/day.