Splenda or Stevia, which is good substitute for sugar?

Options
I don't use real sugar to sweeten anything, instead I began using Sweet-n-Low, then switched to Splenda. But, a friend told me that Splenda and other sugar substitutes don't digest at all in your body. She mentioned trying Stevia, but I'd like to know which one is better health-wise and what everyone else uses....

Replies

• katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    i like stevia, but haven't found it in bulk where i live yet. i could get a sugar/stevia blend, but do not want the sugar.

so, i use truvia packets (stevia) when i want single serve little bits. But cook & bake with splenda.

stevia can hold up to cooking, so as soon as i can, i will switch completely. i like that it is not an altered substance, but a natural product.
  • ks2001
    ks2001 Posts: 40
    Options
    Honestly, I'm starting to think that the natural is better for us than chemical substitutes. With natural you just have to watch how much and the source~
  • lecarter
    lecarter Posts: 15
    Options
    I completly agree...natural is the way to go. Go for natural sweeteners over the lab produced options. Plus, awknowlaging eating those calories makes you really appriciate the treats!
  • Twinmommy13
    Options
    I have used stevia for years. It is great just make sure that you check for additives. I buy the actual extract online so that all of the fillers are gone which are all natural. It is better for you from the research that I have done and we will soon see more and more products sweetened with it.
  • GiggleGoddess
    GiggleGoddess Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    IMO...avoid aspartame like the plague! And even sucralose (although it is made from sugar it ISN'T sugar!). I've found WAY TOO MANY products contain aspartame and its disappointing. Originally the FDA (or whichever group oversees it) didn't want to pass aspartame to be consumed but they fired the guy in charge and put a new guy in and then passed it). I do not trust it (especially if you use it over a period of time). I love using Stevia. It was so hard finding a drink mix (crystal light, etc) that didn't have aspartame or sucralose in it ...every item on the shelf at my local Walmart had artificial sweeteners in it even though it didn't say it on the front...I finally found one that uses stevia (Crystal Light fitness style mix). It tastes amazing! Definitely do your research and look into it further. Hope this helps!