Question about calories????

Options
So on the app. Is it good or bad to have remaining calories at the end of the day? Which of the tracked data do you want left over of and which do you want to consume all of?

Replies

• LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I personally do not eat back my exercise calories. Everyone is different and feels differently about this subject. You need to figure out what is good for you and go by how you feel. If you are hungry, eat good stuff. If you are not, dont worry about them is my motto.
    :smile:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I'm over in protein, I don't worry about it. If I'm over in fat, I know to be more conscientious the next day. If I'm over in carbs, I know to be more careful because my doctor told me to reduce carbs. If I know I'm going to go over for the day, I try to make my last meal more protein heavy than carb or fat heavy. But that's just me.
  • amrmatt
    Options
    The app has me at 2340 cals. As of right now I have 1300 I think left for the day. I can't eat that much healthy stuff. I had lap band 4 years ago. I would have to eat sugar to get to that point
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I'm over in protein, I don't worry about it. If I'm over in fat, I know to be more conscientious the next day. If I'm over in carbs, I know to be more careful because my doctor told me to reduce carbs. If I know I'm going to go over for the day, I try to make my last meal more protein heavy than carb or fat heavy. But that's just me.

^This. And I only eat back half my exercise calories.
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The app has me at 2340 cals. As of right now I have 1300 I think left for the day. I can't eat that much healthy stuff. I had lap band 4 years ago. I would have to eat sugar to get to that point

You may want to see a registered dietician. If youve had a lap band you probably have special calorie needs (i.e. lower than what mfp tells you). See if you cant still contact the doctor in charge of your recovery to see what s/he suggests.
  • nearptr
    Options
    Minimize: Saturated fats, Sodium

Freely consume: Unsaturated fats (except trans- fats: see below), protein, vitamin C, calcium, sugars (subject to caveats under "Control")

Maximize: Potassium, fiber

Moderate: cholesterol

Control: Iron -- achieve ~100%DV but avoid excesses
    Vitamin A -- does not occur as such in plants... plant sources are carotenes and can be freely consumed
    -- actual vitamin A (retinol) occurs in animal products only, and unless you consume large quantities of liver,
    probably need not be monitored
    -- risk of overconsumption with significant health consequences is not likely except through careless
    use of supplements containing _retinol_; carotenes are likely not an issue...
    Sugars -- unless there are individual issues, consume naturally-ocurring sugars freely...

Avoid: added sugars, synthetic fats (which are typically saturated fats these days, but traditionally include *trans-* fats), often
    described as hydrogenated oils, typically found as margarines and in adulterated nut butters [Skippy, Jif, Peter Pan, etc. lol]

Eliminate: trans- fats (almost exclusively synthetic). It's the avoidance of the creation of these that accounts for the appearance
    of peculiar emphases like "FULLY hydrogenated vegetable oil" lol, in place of "hydrogenated vegetable oil" lol
    -- one evil for another... these can be incidentally synthesized at high temperatures such as in deep fryers.

... I only cite government-approved conventional wisdom here. Don't expect explanations...

These are all the nutrients I see in the Android application.

--Mark