BMR + exercise calories vs TDEE minus 20%

Options
Hi everyone, i'm not new to MFP but this is my first post. I've done lots of reading about how important it is to eat your exercise calories and/or to make sure you at least net your BMR. I got stuck in the 1200 mindset for the longest time that i'm sure I did some metabolic damage so i'm slowly starting to increase my calories to 1300 and up. I do calorie confusion quite often where one day a week i'll have a very high day (i.e. 2100) but then it will even out throughout the week as i'll watch my calories and meet BMR or go over based on my exercise for the day. However, at the end of each week, according to the weekly graph i'm almost always 1000+ calories under my weekly calorie goal.

I don't have much left to lose, last i weighed in at 122 but I fluctuate 3-5 lbs regularly so let's just say i'm 125 for ease. I'm 5'3" and 30 years old and i'm roughly 20% body fat. I workout 5 days a week (3 days of running, and 2 days of strength training with a personal trainer along with another 15-20 minutes of cardio after my training session). Ideally I would like to be 120 lbs and I fully expect the last few pounds to take longer to disappear and i'm trying to be realistic that I should be setting a goal of .50 lb a week loss or even less.

My main question is to all of you, and this is purely an opinion based question. Do you prefer to set your calories as your BMR and then include your exercise calories and eat those back OR do you prefer to set your daily calorie goal as your TDEE - 20% and then not include your exercise calories?

Thanks!
Ashley

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I prefer TDEE minus 20%. It's simpler and I don't have to deal with the inherent inaccuracy of exercise calories burned. I still log my exercise just to keep track of the calorie burn (simply because I like numbers and stats), but don't eat them back.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I used MFP's method of adding exercise calories when I was actively losing weight.

Now that I've been at this and maintaining for five-ish years, I just know how much I need to eat.

Both ways work. If you are a regular exerciser, but don't do huge amounts of exercise, the TDEE minus 15-20% is easier. If you are a sporadic exerciser, or if you are training for some mega-event, you might be better off with the MFP method, so you can take more control over daily fluctuations in energy expenditure.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, i'm not new to MFP but this is my first post. I've done lots of reading about how important it is to eat your exercise calories and/or to make sure you at least net your BMR. I got stuck in the 1200 mindset for the longest time that i'm sure I did some metabolic damage so i'm slowly starting to increase my calories to 1300 and up. I do calorie confusion quite often where one day a week i'll have a very high day (i.e. 2100) but then it will even out throughout the week as i'll watch my calories and meet BMR or go over based on my exercise for the day. However, at the end of each week, according to the weekly graph i'm almost always 1000+ calories under my weekly calorie goal.

I don't have much left to lose, last i weighed in at 122 but I fluctuate 3-5 lbs regularly so let's just say i'm 125 for ease. I'm 5'3" and 30 years old and i'm roughly 20% body fat. I workout 5 days a week (3 days of running, and 2 days of strength training with a personal trainer along with another 15-20 minutes of cardio after my training session). Ideally I would like to be 120 lbs and I fully expect the last few pounds to take longer to disappear and i'm trying to be realistic that I should be setting a goal of .50 lb a week loss or even less.

My main question is to all of you, and this is purely an opinion based question. Do you prefer to set your calories as your BMR and then include your exercise calories and eat those back OR do you prefer to set your daily calorie goal as your TDEE - 20% and then not include your exercise calories?

Thanks!
    Ashley

Considering your goal, to dump those last few lbs and lower your body fat, I would suggest something I did that worked pretty well, but it takes more than a calculator unfortunately, and I suspect what you really want is a lower body fat percentage. I ate what I thought my maintenance was for a few weeks while working out blah, blah, blah and adjusted upwards, in a surplus, but at the same time, upped my weight routine and basically 5X5'd it with the big compound lifts adding weight where I could, added in 2 sessions of burpees a week and added another 3 hours of steady state cardio a week. What actually happened is that surplus of calories eneded up being my maintenancew calories 3 different times over about 16 weeks andI dropped my body fat percentage faster than any other time. I never gained any actual weight to speak of, but muscle mass went up. I'd do it a gain, but it really kicked the shyt ou tof me. Basically forget trying to work out the numbers and just pick one, then work with that in the field and make your adjustments there, not before.

People have a tendency to eat too few calories hoping to lose fat quicker, but end of sabotaging themselves by lowering their metabolism and losing some muscle mass, it's a visous circle because when people fail, they just end up putting on weight, but actually end up with more body fat than when they first started, and each subsequent effort to lose weight, it just compounds itself.

By eating at maintenance like I've described, we gain weight, mostly water at this time, but nevertheless, we as well, start to repair our metabolism and when adding additional calories creating a surplus, like I've described we're allowing our body to make a decision of where that weight is going to go. By either adding exercie or increasing the intensity and duration of our existing regime, the body really doesn't have a choice, it trys to add muscle in this anabolic environment, but because of the added exercise that surplus actually becomes a new maintenance level and if that extra intensity worked properly, we'll soon find ourselves in a deficit all the while not only repairing our metabolism, but increasing it. We then up our calories again' the body has the same options as before, build muscle and/or retain fat. What were doing is trying to gain muscle with our inreased metaolism creating a calorie deficit on the same calorie allotment that was previously a surplus. This works best when someone has been on a low calorie diet and sedentary. Time frame is going to depend on the individual, but generally i would think the more intense and more weight is used the better and quicker results a person gets.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sedentary + eat back exercise calories (before I got my Ki Fit).
    Sedentary + eat back Bodymedia adjustment calories if I'm at home.
    Ki Fit Display "calories burned today" minus a thousand (or whatever my daily deficet target is) if I'm out.

If I could only pick one, it would be my third method. For a long time I would only have one meal a day (high calory). If I look at the display and compare it to what MFP says I've consumed, that meal is more likely to have "the number of calories I need" even if I've skipped a meal. If the difference is too big, I eat a suitable sized meal and the next meal is also slightly bigger.

TDEE minus 20% just wouldn't work for me. One day I might be sedentary and only need to consume 2,000 calories to meet my deficit. The next I might visit London and do a cumulative total of 10 miles walking and need to consume 4,000 calories to meet my deficit (that day my calorie deficit was 3,441 calories because I didn't eat enough and didn't do the "need to eat" math). This week the weather and my insomnia have thrown my exercise plan off, and I'm not sure where I'd be if I'd had 3,200 calories per day... 6,300 deficit, about half a pound less than my target.
  • nearptr
    Options
    It looks like you're pretty much where you want to be. Just live your life. It's not about numbers.
  • ashleybreuer
    ashleybreuer Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Ashley

Considering your goal, to dump those last few lbs and lower your body fat, I would suggest something I did that worked pretty well, but it takes more than a calculator unfortunately, and I suspect what you really want is a lower body fat percentage. I ate what I thought my maintenance was for a few weeks while working out blah, blah, blah and adjusted upwards, in a surplus, but at the same time, upped my weight routine and basically 5X5'd it with the big compound lifts adding weight where I could, added in 2 sessions of burpees a week and added another 3 hours of steady state cardio a week. What actually happened is that surplus of calories eneded up being my maintenancew calories 3 different times over about 16 weeks andI dropped my body fat percentage faster than any other time. I never gained any actual weight to speak of, but muscle mass went up. I'd do it a gain, but it really kicked the shyt ou tof me. Basically forget trying to work out the numbers and just pick one, then work with that in the field and make your adjustments there, not before.

People have a tendency to eat too few calories hoping to lose fat quicker, but end of sabotaging themselves by lowering their metabolism and losing some muscle mass, it's a visous circle because when people fail, they just end up putting on weight, but actually end up with more body fat than when they first started, and each subsequent effort to lose weight, it just compounds itself.

By eating at maintenance like I've described, we gain weight, mostly water at this time, but nevertheless, we as well, start to repair our metabolism and when adding additional calories creating a surplus, like I've described we're allowing our body to make a decision of where that weight is going to go. By either adding exercie or increasing the intensity and duration of our existing regime, the body really doesn't have a choice, it trys to add muscle in this anabolic environment, but because of the added exercise that surplus actually becomes a new maintenance level and if that extra intensity worked properly, we'll soon find ourselves in a deficit all the while not only repairing our metabolism, but increasing it. We then up our calories again' the body has the same options as before, build muscle and/or retain fat. What were doing is trying to gain muscle with our inreased metaolism creating a calorie deficit on the same calorie allotment that was previously a surplus. This works best when someone has been on a low calorie diet and sedentary. Time frame is going to depend on the individual, but generally i would think the more intense and more weight is used the better and quicker results a person gets.

This might actually work for me, I am training for a half marathon (my very first and it's the first part of May) so I just barely started actively training which means i'm going to be working out 6 days a week (i'm following the Couch to 1/2 marathon program) and significantly increasing my calorie burn. I want to make sure i'm fueling myself for these workouts; i love to eat and I love the motto "eat more to lose weight" because I want to make sure i'm giving my body the necessary fuel to be able to make it through the day and through my workouts. Unfortunately, i'm a very analytical person and take numbers way too seriously (much more than i should) so i've been very hung up on trying not to go over 1200 and then on exercise days it makes it even harder to eat calories back even though I make sure to do it. I've calculated my BMR as 1258 but I know I need more than that. I have a body type that fluctuates badly with water weight, 3 days ago i weighed at 122 and this morning I was 126.4 and it really messes with your psyche so i'd like to try and get away from worrying so much about what is on the scale and by the way my clothes fit!

Thank you everyone for all of your advise and opinions! I greatly appreciate it.