Having trouble eating

Options
So, normally, I am just fine and have no problems, but occasionally, I will have a busy day and skip a meal. Logically, I should just make up for it at dinner, but what I've found happening too often lately is that I will get home having not eaten anything yet and feel very very nauseous, to the point that I just can't stomach anything. So I end up not eating until the next day. Several times in the past, I have pushed through and just eaten anyway. This never ends well. Every time I have done this, I have suddenly and violently thrown up. I suspect the reason is that I am letting my blood sugar get too low and then experiencing a rather large spike when I try to eat something. I have noticed that it is worse when bread is involved.

Yes, I know, the best thing to do would be to not miss meals in the first place, or at least pack some snacks to get me through, and most of the time, I do just that, but I'm looking for advice on what to do on the days where I haven't done the smart thing.

Any ideas for foods that are gentle on nausea, but still calorie dense enough to make up the difference? Or eating strategies that might prevent the vomiting? Or should I just wait it out and double my intake the next day?

Replies

• kaitlyng97
    Options
    I have had the same problem on numerous occasions. Instead of simply eating your normal lunch or dinner, I reccomend eating small, light and relatively healthy snacks over the course of 1-2 hours. You don't become melnourished and it prevents nausia. Try things such as nuts, hummus with apples, tuna and multi-grain crackers, or vegetables with a healthy dip. Find other simple snacks that work best for you. If this isn't succesful consult a dietition,
    I hope that I was able to help. Good luck.
  • juulesy
    Options
    What about soup with grains?
    Like pearl barley or rice, the consistency shouldn't be that upsetting to your stomach.
    Even have a small piece of toast or crackers as well to break it up a little ^.^
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem on numerous occasions. Instead of simply eating your normal lunch or dinner, I reccomend eating small, light and relatively healthy snacks over the course of 1-2 hours. You don't become melnourished and it prevents nausia. Try things such as nuts, hummus with apples, tuna and multi-grain crackers, or vegetables with a healthy dip. Find other simple snacks that work best for you. If this isn't succesful consult a dietition,
    I hope that I was able to help. Good luck.

That's actually a good point. Thanks! I think I'll try that next time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatos or squash? Cheese? Comforting, soft food in small amounts.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Hubby is in the midst of chemo treatments and doesn't want to eat. He does eat the protein smoothies I make him: frozen bananas, Kirkland Greek yogurt, peanut butter, vanilla whey protein powder and milk. It comes to about 550 calories and 41g. protein and actually tastes pretty good.