Half a cup is a serving? Help i have double this?! confused

Options
: :embarassed: Half a cup of alpen is around 45g apparently which is a serving size and contains 170 cals. + milk
I was thinking more 1 cup serving and milk but this would add up to around 440 calories (inc 200ml milk) Is this too much for breakfast/ is this healthy/normal? should i need this much? help help help.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can divide your calories however you like through the day. 440 calories does not sound like too much for a meal to me- sounds normal. It does not matter how you choose to divide your meals, try to stick to your calorie and macronutrient targets.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    440 calories is not "too much" for breakfast. It totally depends on your goals. If I have breakfast I tend to have about 150-200 cals, but I would consider that a very light meal. A lot of people prefer to have a more substantial breakfast.

As for the "official" (ie. stated on the pack) recommended servings of cereal, 170 cals sounds about right rather than 440. Not everyone eats the same way though, so if you like to have a cup, then have a cup, but fit it into your daily calorie and macronutrient goals. You might prefer to have a larger breakfast and eat lighter through the rest of the day.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    A 400 cal breakfast sounds A-ok. remember, it's about overall daily intake, not one meal. If u need more fuel in the morning ...EAT.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I use to HAVE to have breakfast at which point my breakfasts were about 600...I chucked all that into night calories. Doesn't matter when you eat em, just eat em.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Serving sizes on packs are bogus. Look for label information 'per 100 g'.

You can eat 40 grams or 100 grams. The serving size isn't critical.
    Just weigh it, log it and stay within your allowance.