Sugar Cravings!

Options
My main problem with dieting is eating too much sugar. I am good at eating healthy in every other aspect, but something about sugar just gets to me. I am trying to give it up, but sometimes I give in. It seems like whenever I give in, I always eat much more than the amount I was initially going to allow myself. Any tips on how to keep my cravings under control?

Replies

• jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This may seem like counter-intuitive advice, but I started eating a serving of chocolate almost everyday. It's easy enough for me to fit the 80 calories into my daily goals. I know I can have it, so I never really think about it. (Thinking about it used to make me crave it and eat a lot more than I should.)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Get you sugar from natural fructose. Fruits-- Bananas and Dates are really sweet.

Grapes and Clementines are two of my favorites.

I am hypoglycemic so I couldn't cut out sugar without getting sick.

The MFP counts for sugar are hard to stay within especially if you're eating fruit. A lot of people don't worry about it but track their carbs which should cover your sugar intake for most people.

But the less sugar you eat and the more used to it you get your body the less cravings you'll have
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ive been having sugar cravings lately. Its strange, since I held out for 6 months or so without any craving for it. But this last week, craving cake, cookies, chocolate, etc. Ive let myself have a little though.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Both suggestions -- fruit and chocolate (in reasonable quantities) -- can be very helpful. Don't deprive yourself too much if you want to make a permanent difference. Also make sure you are getting enough liquid. Thirst can cause some odd cravings.

For more about cravings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817
  • DanielleMN
    DanielleMN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Some people say that sugar is addictive, and the more sugar you eat, the more you crave it. I think that might be true for me, but on the other hand, I want to eat a diet that I can live with for the rest of my life. For now I'm trying to limit the sugar and eat more fruit. They say that cutting sugar out gradually gives you less cravings.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Following phase one of the South Beach plan for 2 weeks should rid you of sugar cravings.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I agree with daniellemn, the more I eat, the more I want. I've gotten to where I don't have something sweet after lunch or dinner anymore, but always have enough calories to have a sweet bedtime snack. I know it's coming later so I don't freak out about it. But if I try to have two cookies after lunch, then I want 4, or two cookies and a Hershey kiss, or two, or four, etc. I've always had something sweet after meals, so that was a tough one to give up, but it has helped me keep it under control.
  • Saiava
    Saiava Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I heard that if you mix just a few grains of sugar in a full glass of water, your cravings should go away. Not sure if it's true so don't take my word for it. Worth a shot though. :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    Different people; different needs or cravings.
    For me a small sweet (like one piece of dark chocolate) is a trigger that I'm done eating. But for some people it's a trigger that it's time to binge. It's important to learn what works for you.
    And over time, you can change habits and triggers -- what used to taste normal becomes abnormally sweet or rich.
    If you want something sweet, it doesn't have to be sugar. For instance, licorice tea is naturally sweet. Cinnamon and other spices can also satisfy a desire for something sweet. But that's not always the same as a craving for sugar or highly processed carbohydrates.
    So, it comes back to figuring out what you crave and why and then seeing what you can do about it.
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    Oh, and try distraction... do something that requires attention for at least 15 minutes. Cravings due to habit or a superficial trigger (like the ad you just saw on TV) will often go away.
    After that, if you still have the desire, consider biological causes.

I'll post my blog entry on cravings again. Hope you don't mind. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do more exercise. If you increase your output, high input becomes less of a concern.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the Atkins's Endulge bars? They taste great, and aren't terrible for you. Then again, I'm on a low carb high protein diet and after awhile my cravings for sugar went away. However, when I bake or when I see other's indulging I do get an urge now and again, so I keep those little suckers handy to keep myself from cheating on my diet (it works great for me.)

My personal favorite is the Caramel Nut Chew Endulge Bar. It is caramel, peanuts and nougat, with chocolate coating (supposedly lol.)
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just cut it out. The more you eat, the more you crave. Go cold turkey. It's hard but it works.
  • 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I definitely find that the more I have, the more I want :-/ I'm joining a no (added) sugar challenge for January to hopefully kill the cravings!