Measuring for Dummies.

Options
I'm not sure where to ask, but I keep struggling with this.

Measuring the hip, and waist.

I've been told my hip is the thinnest spot of my abdominal area, the midway point of it, and/or where my navel is.
Kind of confusing since my navel seems lost in my hang low gut, and the thinnest area seems higher up and I'm not a hundred percent sure where the midpoint is on me since it seems somewhere between the to other points.

Hips are even more confusing. It's the widest place where you measure for it.
Do I include the widest spot of my *kitten* sticking out, too? What about the fat that hangs from my stomach that drops to my hips? I tried measuring under that (With my clothes on, so maybe this confused the other person what I was trying to do), but they informed me "Widest point" suggesting I measure the flap of flesh.

I've been trying to keep a recording of these things, along with my weight records. I find my weight bounces around, however my pants seem to fit more loose steadily.

Most measuring models I come across show a average person with no extra weight confusing the lay out.

Does anyone have this problem? What's your tricks to knowing and remembering the place to measure?

Replies

• 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    People, please correct me if wrong...

I use the body shot app, it's pretty neat! Now for waist, I measure between the top of my hips and under my boobs, kinda where it dips inward (it was harder to determine when I was larger). Abdomen, I measure where my belly button is, I try to find the largest part. Hips, I measure around the point that my butt sticks out the most.

Not some charts just have hips and waist, therefor the belly button measurement would be classified as hips.

Hope this helps :) regardless of where you measure though, you'll see loss and that's great!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also, I leave the measuring tape kind of loose. Make sure you don't pull it tight where it's digging into your skin. If I see a dramatic change, I'll move it around a bit to make sure I have the right spot. You could take a pic of yourself too, and mark where your tape goes so that you've got a better idea.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I measure many places so will list where I measure each part

Arm (biggest part of bicep when NOT flexed)
    Chest (widest part of chest, around the boobs)
    Natural waist (the narrowest part of my torso, between boobs and navel)
    Abdomen (widest part of torso, around the navel)
    Hips (widest part of hips, around the bum)
    Thigh (widest part of upper thigh)
    Calf (Widest part of calf)

However as long as you stay consistent with where/how you are measuring, you will see the changes. So just choose how YOU want to measure and go from there.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    For my hips I always measure around the thickest part of my muffin top/love handles.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I use this video as a guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ZnioXCRhU
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i measure my hips where my pants seem to fit i dnt measure including my butt but just above it then waist is about an inch above ur belly button if u stand in the mirror and raise ur arms u should be able to see where it dips in towards your midline. sometimes i measure my stomach too and thats where ur pooch sticks out a little
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great question! Thanks for asking and thanks for the video!