how to log "licking out the bowl"

Options
MrsAgi
MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
What with it being xmas eve ad all, I've been baking since 5am, and obviously have to taste while mixing, then I can't help but lick out the bowl. How much licking counts as an actual portion of the cake/biscuit? And assuming it doesn't count,how much can I legitimately leave in the bowl to lick out and not count?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I usually leave about 100 cals left over, for things like that.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    anything more than three licks needs counting.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

It depends on the size of the tongue.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You should always measure your licks. Or just do like me... look around and if there is nobody looking then lick and pretend it never happened. If tree falls in a forest and nobody hears it then there is no sound... ^^

You won't get above 100 cals by doing this unless you get really carried away and lick away half a bowl. 100 cal room is good amount to reserve if you like to freak out for every single extra cal you ate...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

It depends on the size of the tongue.

good point

proceed accordingly
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Or just do like me... look around and if there is nobody looking then lick and pretend it never happened.

That's called assault brother.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    hehehe....
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Licking the bowl takes a lot of work and movement! You're probably cancelling out all the calories you consumed by burning so many while licking. So don't even worry about it!
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    when i was baking this year, i did this EVERY SINGLE TIME i finished putting a batch of cookies or brownies in the oven. stand over the sink with the spatula and scarf down whatever's left in the mixing bowl. pure bliss. i don't know how anyone does not do this when they bake. i just "quick added" 75-100 calories for each time i did it. i know that's not an accurate method, but at least i'm accounting for it.

this is usually the only time of year i bake cookies, and i like the raw dough better than the baked cookies :)
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Licking the bowl takes a lot of work and movement! You're probably cancelling out all the calories you consumed by burning so many while licking. So don't even worry about it!

hahaha i love this!!!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Train yourself not to lick anything. I'd go insane if I had to count licks.....
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I always get some on the tip of my nose - so I log the frantic licking for it as a HIIT cardio exercise. Burns 100+ every ten min.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i always add it as the thing i was baking. :) so like 1 cupcake, etc.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Nah, doesn't need counting, face it you burned calories by walking around, mixing and making ;)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    My first thought was the tootsie roll pop commerical from way back when...how many licks does it take to get to the center of a toostie roll pop?

Enjoy :bigsmile:

http://youtu.be/LZ0epRjfGLw
  • Excepticon
    Excepticon Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love this thread.

All joking aside, I would get mathematical on the calories in question.

> How much is a serving of uncooked batter?
    > Estimate how much I licked.
    > Divide/multiply/subtract/add.

Helps to know basic conversions, i.e. 30cc = 1 ounce, 8 ounces = 1 cup, 16 ounces/2 cups in a pound.
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    :noway: You log that???
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Weigh the bowl pre-licking...

Lick away...

Weigh the bowl after...

Et, voila. You know what you ate!
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    OH dear.... maybe that's where my problem has been.
    I am not gonna worry about it too much. I already know that I'm not going to succeed in the "Maintain No Gain" challenge we are having at work. Hoping that it's only a pound or two and not FIVE !!!

Hope you all enjoy your licking...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I use a brush.