Post workout fuel

Options
For post workout after lifting weights and or body weight, how much protein should you be consuming after? Would 17 grams be enough? I know it depends on your goals, but I'm wondering if it's enough to replenish muscles at all. I don't want to consume too much in a day since it does back me up....and I've heard and read many times that if you consume too much, it won't process properly and get stored as fat.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For post workout after lifting weights and or body weight, how much protein should you be consuming after? Would 17 grams be enough? I know it depends on your goals, but I'm wondering if it's enough to replenish muscles at all. I don't want to consume too much in a day since it does back me up....and I've heard and read many times that if you consume too much, it won't process properly and get stored as fat.

Net fat storage will only occur in a calorie surplus. Regardless of macronutrient intake.

I would set your total protein intake based on your goals and I would hit that total by end of day. The effects of timing that protein, assuming adequate total intake, aren't going to make a substantial difference.

Cliffs: get your daily protein in and time your nutrients based on preference/performance.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Net fat storage will only occur in a calorie surplus. Regardless of macronutrient intake.

I would set your total protein intake based on your goals and I would hit that total by end of day. The effects of timing that protein, assuming adequate total intake, aren't going to make a substantial difference.

Cliffs: get your daily protein in and time your nutrients based on preference/performance.
    Exactly. Don't complicate it.
  • Minki1990
    Options

Is hitting your fat intake just as important?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Getting sufficient fat is very important for different reasons.
  • Minki1990
    Options

Getting sufficient fat is very important for different reasons.

Thank you so much for the feedback :smile:
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Ok, but IS 17 grams enough, you think? What if you eat as good amount before your workout?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Ok, but IS 17 grams enough, you think? What if you eat as good amount before your workout?

I think you should read my first reply. If there's something about it that you don't understand, let me know.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

I think you should read my first reply. If there's something about it that you don't understand, let me know.

I'm assuming the answer is yes, it's fine. lol
  • kristijean
    kristijean Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would say YES, but as with anyone try some things out and see what works for you. I take in approximately 25 post workout, but sometimes just 17 using a Results and Recovery drink. More after lifting and 17 or so after cardio =)
  • SideSteel
    Options

The answer is this: if you are eating a sufficient amount of protein, in total, throughout the day, then whether or not you have 30g post workout, or 10g, or 0g, isn't going to make much of a difference.

Time your intake around preference and performance.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

The answer is this: if you are eating a sufficient amount of protein, in total, throughout the day, then whether or not you have 30g post workout, or 10g, or 0g, isn't going to make much of a difference.

Time your intake around preference and performance.

Thank you
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I would say YES, but as with anyone try some things out and see what works for you. I take in approximately 25 post workout, but sometimes just 17 using a Results and Recovery drink. More after lifting and 17 or so after cardio =)

Thank you :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You don't need "post work out fuel", you're just eating all the calories you burnt off.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    You don't need "post work out fuel", you're just eating all the calories you burnt off.

I'm trying to REBUILD lost muscle.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Extra protein won't do that, extra calories will. Whether you consume some extra protein after working out isn't doing much if anything if you've hit your target calories for the day. If one of your meals happens to work after your workouts, do that, and of course you can add a protein shake, it's just not going to get you what you think it is, unless of course it's creating a surplus, then it's quite possible to rebuild lost muscle.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I can only assume you didn't read Sidesteel's comments above. What you eat and when you eat it is not critical and should be driven by preference and workout performance assuming you get sufficient macronutrients. If you are eating in deficit, be certian that your maintined the deficit by the end of the day. Calories you burn in a workout are all just part of a bigger daily picture.
  • mmapags
    Options

Do you mean muscle you lost previously? Or do you believe you are losing muscle during your workout?
  • alexbusnello
    Options

Do you mean muscle you lost previously? Or do you believe you are losing muscle during your workout?

Previously because of dieting while doing HIIT
  • mmapags
    Options

Previously because of dieting while doing HIIT

Got it! So, then what has been said applies. Get adequate protein in a day. When you get that is up to you and your preference and gym performance.