Huge Bulks Of Fresh Food ?

Options
Hello everyone! So recently I have decided I am going to change my diet around and go onto a juicing diet, where I will juice twice a day (breakfast and dinner) w/ a piece of side fruit or something for substance and have a small meal at lunch while I am at school during lunch that I will pack to keep me going throughout the day.

That is all fine and dandy & im super pumped about that, but what I am wondering is, where can I buy big bulks of fresh produce for me too juice. Being a college student, I was wanting to by in bulk to last me for about two weeks or so , so that I won't continuously have to restock . Suggestions?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    I'd rather grill my ribeyes, mash my taters, poach my eggs, I know I'm weird like that.:happy:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'd rather grill my ribeyes, mash my taters, poach my eggs, I know I'm weird like that.:happy:

This.

I just had a 21oz ribeye last week, it was amazing.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    not sure how well buying fresh in would work in bulk, as any fresh food i buy tends to go off within a few days or a week - but that could be because my local green grocer buys in from local farms that don't use preservatives.

being a brit i can't recommend where you should buy from, but fruits that keep the best are apples, oranges, pears, limes, lemons, avocados, melon of all sorts, kiwis, pomegranite, etc.

ones to avoid would be berries, such as strawberries, blueberries etc as they seem to go off real quick

hope that helps!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what lead you to want to juice? what kind of benefits are you hoping to see?
  • meaghan2008
    meaghan2008 Posts: 401 Member
    Options

I want to lose weight & reboot my body. I watched the documentary fat, sick, and nearly dead & that was really eye opening and inspirational. I don't have the same disease as he did, but I do have eczema, and I think if I put my body through a detox then my eczema will be healed naturally.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I want to lose weight & reboot my body. I watched the documentary fat, sick, and nearly dead & that was really eye opening and inspirational. I don't have the same disease as he did, but I do have eczema, and I think if I put my body through a detox then my eczema will be healed naturally.

you body isn't a superhero movie franchise. you just can't reboot it.

if your body is already under stress from some unhealthy eating habits, juicing can put it under further strain.

i have three female cousins that did a juicing fast for lent. 40 days of juicing. they lost weight... and their hair looked horrible and so did their skin. lets not even talk about their moods.

and the weight all came back a week after easter when they went back to eating normally.
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

A water-only fast would get you results faster. The reason why Joe made that movie was partially because he owns that juice blender (I believe) he carried around him all over America.

I say water-only because as you drink juices, your body still has to digest the juice. Before you go on any type of ketogenic, water or juice fast, make sure you get all the medical facts and proper techniques (what to expect for your body and what you have to watch out for) before starting.

Dr. Kapler has a DVD on fasting, he has supervised many fasts and his presentation takes you through the whole process. Prepared with that knowledge, you will make better choices.

If you are determined to go on a juice fast and you are looking for the most economical way of juicing, find your local farmer (this implies you hold off until the summer) and buy from them. It's local, organic (make sure it is organic) and minimal pesticides used (you have to check all these but most local farmers are sensitive to these issues). That movie gives partial truths but I am glad he doesn't hide the fact that you go into a ketogenic diet (the 3 days he stays in bed), he just doesn't explicitly state it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like to eat food.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the fresh food without juicing it first? It'll be more filling and satisfying -- plus, switching back from juicing to eating solid food can be tough on your digestive tract. Where to get the food depends on where in the country you are -- are there farmers' markets around you that are open this time of year? That's the first place I'd check.
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    The most obvious answer is a produce market.

You will want to go a few times a week though so you can use it before it goes bad. Keeping everything in the fridge will help it last a bit longer.
  • meaghan2008
    meaghan2008 Posts: 401 Member
    Options

if your body is already under stress from some unhealthy eating habits, juicing can put it under further strain.

i have three female cousins that did a juicing fast for lent. 40 days of juicing. they lost weight... and their hair looked horrible and so did their skin. lets not even talk about their moods.

and the weight all came back a week after easter when they went back to eating normally.
    but if I exercise and do juicing and take a one-a-day and eat a side piece of fruit for a tad bit of substance, i think I would be fine. I exercise on a daily basis.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You probably shouldn't do any extreme and unbalanced diet for more than a few days. Try an Asian or Hispanic market for cheap produce. Knock yourself out. All those vitamins, especially the mega doses of Vitamin C, will probably have a "cleansing" effect, but not the kind your thinking of.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It says in your profile "I've tried so many fad diets...."

Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I do not think it possible to buy the amount of produce you need for juicing for 2 weeks and keep it fresh. I also do not believe in Detoxing. If you give your body the proper nutrition it will be able to gradually rid itself of any retained toxins in the liver. There are so many movies/documentaries and books out there, all touting their own twist on health and recovery. I read most of it and always with a great deal of skepticism. People want to sell something or are enamored of whatever worked for them....that is not scientific evidence that it will work for another person.

As to where to buy it... depends on where you live, what season it is and whether you can buy direct from a grower.

If you want to do juice look at the movie "The Gersen MIracle". This is the most sensible guide I've ever seen on how to get the most nutrients from the juice.

If you haven't already tried it, do a 2 week trial of gluten free. Many people with skin conditions get better with no or minimal gluten.

Good luck to you.
  • phatnotfat81
    Options

I agree with this....Juicing isn't as easy as it seems..You really have to be sure that you're receiving the right amounts of nutrients your body needs or else you will look and feel horrible. A "one a day" vitamin isn't going to make up for all that you need, for example protein. (reason why the hair will look horrible, and begin to shed)

I'd say do more research...and if you do go that route, add some protein powder to each shake and eat a big lunch, not small.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Ok, unfortunately I don't have anything to help you out with, but I did want to say did anyone read her whole post? She said that she was going to eat real food at lunch... just sayin...
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't believe she was asking whether or not juicing was a thing she should do or not. It is something she wants to try, along with eating real food at lunch, AND real fruit along WITH the juice.

It may not be the best thing, but I don't believe it is actually harmful in any way. If it doesn't work for her, well, she'll certainly find out. It's much less crazy then some of the things I have seen on here. lol.

Have you looked into any type of co-op where you live? I know that around here there are farms where you can arrange to have produce (and usually only the produce you want from what they have available) delivered about once a week. I'm not sure about once every two weeks, or how feasible that would be as far as keeping things fresh would be, but it's worth a shot?

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • skyttles
    skyttles Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that might help you out some, it covers a lot of the different options.... http://www.raw-food-health.net/WholesaleProduce.html. ( No clue whether the website as a whole is any good but the article looks solid!)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Try bountifulbaskets.com - its a produce co-op where you can get a big basket of fresh, local, in season produce for 20 bucks. You can pickup weekly or bi-weekly, or as often as you like.
  • I've read thru most of the posts and to be honest with you, I think the majority doesn't agree with the holistic purposes of fasting and/or detoxing in general. It gives your body a rest from digesting solid foods. It's not like you were saying you were going to do a complete juice fast since you still plan to eat one meal and eat something light while drinking it.

When everyone saw the "juice fast" they pretty much stuck with it. If you want some solid options on how to transition into this, I would love to help you but shoot me a message.

One thing we all must understand, any restrictions done within a reasonable amount of time (no more than 15 days) can be extremely beneficial. What's important is how you transition to and off of it as well as your intentions from doing such a thing. There are always stories of extreme cons and pros to doing any sort of fast, cleanse or detox. When you look deeper at the individual's agenda, then you better understand where they went wrong or why it ended up working so well for them.

If you are just out to "drop weight" and not to use such measures to move you forward to a healthier you, then of course you're not going to come out of it healthier. You'll come out of it worse for the wear and, not having learned anything, you'll immediately revert to old habits which will result in you regaining the weight and reversing the work.

Discipline and the way a person goes about achieving it may not be the same for me as it is for you. That being said, taking such a plunge requires a great deal of discipline. Start small as failures can tend to sabotage your own progress.

In case you choose not to email me. To your initial question:

If you watched the documentary of Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, in order for the vegetables to be "fresh" they can't be bought and stored for long periods of time. Your best bet is to buy vegs for juicing at least every 3-4 days. There are sites which have 'green juicing' recipes that you may want to consider. It seems you're really just going to be practicing meal replacement for breakfast and dinner. People do it in so many forms with protein shakes, cereals, and such that I don't think it's going to cause you any of the harm or hyped up concerns raised here.