Quinoa...1st Impression

Options
I have been trying to follow the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. So this morning I made Sweet Inca Porridge with Quinoa. In the recipe there were instructions to rinse and shake it vigorously (while in water) to remove bitterness. Maybe I didn't do this enough or something, but I wasn't really a fan of it. It made 4 servings so I will eat the rest and maybe it will grow on me. Also, I have a cold so maybe its affecting my taster. But I was kind off disappointed. If you eat Quinoa, please give me some tips on how to make it. I know it's a really healthy food and high in protein which is great for breakfast.

Replies

• ATXrunner
    ATXrunner Posts: 41
    Options
    For me, it makes a world of difference to cook it using a broth instead of just water. It ups the calories just a bit, but worth it. Hope that helps! =)
  • rosysilhouette
    Options
    I don't really know how to make it properly, and i've never had it for breakfast
    but I used to have it for my tea when i was on a carb free diet
    (someone told me that they had no carbs in and i believed them haha)
    and i used vegetable stock to make it taste better

so you have it with porridge?
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    I eat quinoa quite often. I am sensitive to wheat and bored with brown rice and somewhat adventurous with food so I decided to try it out. I was a little surprised the first time I tried it because the flavor is a little strong. I guess I expected it to taste like rice since I was told you can substitute quino where ever you use rice. After I had it a few more times I decided I really did like it. My family, even my little boys who are 5 and 7 like it. My two favorite ways to eat it are as a substitute for oatmeal and the other is warm with a thin pat of butter, a dribble of soy or tamari sauce and chopped cucumber, tomato and avocado on top. YUM!
    It sounds like you prepared it just fine. Maybe you will have a better idea of the flavor when you are over your cold.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Every Sunday, I make a dish that is equal parts Quinoa, TVP and Long grain brown rice. I prepare each one accordingly and combine them in a big bowl. Then I add:
    -1 packet Frice Rice Seasoning
    -Finely chopped up celery, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos and any other veggie I have in the fridge that I don;'t want to waste.

I dish it out in 8 oz tupperware containers and eat it all week. At least one a day. Depending obn what the ratio is of ingredients the nutritional value is approximately: 255 cal, 0 Fat, 27g Carbs, 22g Protein, 9g fiber. The sodium from the Packaged Fried Rice Seasoning is the only bad.

I love it. Having it for Breakfast right now.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    Here is the recipe I made. I just thought it was kinda bitter, maybe I didn't soak it long enough. What would you recommend?

Clean Eating-Sweet Inca Porridge

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa grains, soaked
    1 cup rolled oats, not instant
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    3 cups water
    1/2 cup chopped dates
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla

Directions
    Place first four ingredients in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Cover. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes. Add remaining four ingredients and mix together well. Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for five minutes. Serve.

Number of Servings: 5

Nutritional Info

* Servings Per Recipe: 5
    * Amount Per Serving
    * Calories: 304.7

* Total Fat: 4.4 g
    * Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    * Sodium: 124.7 mg
    * Total Carbs: 58.2 g
    * Dietary Fiber: 7.1 g
    * Protein: 10.2 g
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I toast mine first a bit like popcorn. That seems to help a little by giving it a nuttier flavor. However, I still probably wouldn't eat it in something sweet. I think of it as a savory dish because it is a little bitter or "earthy" tasting. And I usually use a little chicken stock to cook it in too.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I LOVE a quinoa superfood salad.
    Make up a handfull of quinoa, (or however much), with a vegetable stock cube. Grill some courgette and red pepper, leave to go cold. Mix into quinoa with spring onions (scallions) and pomegranate seeds and a little red chilli. Its very yummy. You can just chuck any beg in,but the spring onion and pomegranate go very well.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I toast mine first a bit like popcorn. That seems to help a little by giving it a nuttier flavor. However, I still probably wouldn't eat it in something sweet. I think of it as a savory dish because it is a little bitter or "earthy" tasting. And I usually use a little chicken stock to cook it in too.

I agree with this...although I may try the porridge (sounds interesting).
    It seems that you followed everything correctly...it's probably the cold making things taste 'off'. Also, try millet or amaranth if you like quinoa.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options

How do you "toast" it?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

How do you "toast" it?
    Put it in a hot skillet for about 1-2 minutes. It's the same process that you would use to dry roast nuts on the stove. Just continually 'toss' the pan so that none of it burns.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

How do you "toast" it?
    Put it in a hot skillet for about 1-2 minutes. It's the same process that you would use to dry roast nuts on the stove. Just continually 'toss' the pan so that none of it burns.

Oh yeah. Sorry for not explaining better. The quinoa will actually pop a bit like popcorn. You obviously won't get the fluffy white kernels, but it will kind of pop and crack open a bit. Just keep it moving in the pan so it doesn't burn and stop when the majority of it gets a little brown.
  • sparklebritches
    Options
    I love quinoa but I don't care for it in breakfast-y form.

Also, a lot of it is pre-rinsed so you might can skip the whole rinsing/shaking the pan thing.