My ankles hurt sooooo bad!

Options
Hello y'all!
So I have never really done a lot of exercise before....I'm not too out of shape or over weight, but I'm just out of shape. But the first of December I decided I would start back Jillian michaels 30 day shred and C25k. Well about the second week in, my ankles started hurting. I then became pretty sick, so I took a week off because I could not physically get out of bed I felt so bad :( But I have noticed my ankles constantly hurt. Just walking around I feel it. And I started back doing JM 30 DS and I could barely get done with the video, same with c25k.. I couldn't even do it today (not because I was out of breath or anything, just my ankles) has anyone had these problems? I will say, I don't have a great pair of running shoes. And I don't normally wear any shoes when doing JM since I'm doing it inside. Could this be the issue? It is just frustrating because I have been enjoying doing the work outs, I finally have that mind set. But now it's almost physically impossible because of my ankles. It just sucks! Thanks in advance for all your answers! :)

Replies

• Khiltbold
    Khiltbold Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump! Anyone know? :(
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might have flat feet
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for proper running shoes for C25k?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ankle strengthening exercises

http://www.wikihow.com/Strengthen-Your-Ankles

if flat feet is also a problem try yoga exercises like below that help strengthen your feet and instep as well as balance
    http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/tree.htm

also make sure you're wearing proper shoes for any high impact stuff
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Try the wet-foot test to check out your pronation:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type

Sounds to me like you're wearing the wrong shoes. The exercises Mesha suggested will be helpful too. In the meantime, it might also help to ice them down after activity.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bumping to read any ideas since I have the same problem with my ankles and knees!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    bumping to read any ideas since I have the same problem with my ankles and knees!

Knee problems (in the absence of injury) could be caused by improper foot support- see my previous post about how to check your feet, or they could be caused by Iliotibial Band (IT Band) tightness- which can be corrected by some simple stretches and foam rolling, but the most likely culprit is an imbalance between the Quad and Hamstring strength, which can be corrected by good-form strength training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I'd chalk it up to bad form first. Watching a video and actually performing an exercise correctly by a novice or even a "social" exerciser usually ends up in the perception that they are doing it right. Landing wrong on your feet, sounds like the issue. I'm betting that your feet have a pronation issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Khiltbold
    Options
    Yeah I was talking to my sister in law last night (she is a doctor) but she told me it sounds like ligament pain. She said sometimes it can take up to 6 months to heal. I guess it was doing to much at one time. She said a lot of people injure there ligaments in the ankle when running... But she said eventually it will feel better, just takes time. But I do need to get a good pair of running shoes for sure. Any recommendations? Thank you for the answers :)
  • Khiltbold
    Options
    I'd chalk it up to bad form first. Watching a video and actually performing an exercise correctly by a novice or even a "social" exerciser usually ends up in the perception that they are doing it right. Landing wrong on your feet, sounds like the issue. I'm betting that your feet have a pronation issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This could also be my issue, bad form.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I tried to do the C25K. I could barely walk. Had to take time off from the gym, it was terrible. So I decided at least for now, I'm not a runner. I do cardio on an elliptical and lift weights. I think like you I was trying to do too much too soon. Good luck! If you do continue to try when your ankles get better I would suggest just doing one thing. If your going to do the c25k thing just do that 3 days a week and rest the other days like the program suggests. I was working out everyday, I think that was my down fall.

I think weight lifting is better for me in the long run to help in changing my body composition.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    But I do need to get a good pair of running shoes for sure. Any recommendations? Thank you for the answers :)

Find a legitimate specialty running store and have them watch you run on a treadmill. They will help match you with the right type of shoe, then will bring you various models of similar shoes to try so that you can select which ones are most comfortable on your foot.
  • Khiltbold
    Options
    But I do need to get a good pair of running shoes for sure. Any recommendations? Thank you for the answers :)

Find a legitimate specialty running store and have them watch you run on a treadmill. They will help match you with the right type of shoe, then will bring you various models of similar shoes to try so that you can select which ones are most comfortable on your foot.

Wow! That's awesome. I had no idea they had places like that! Thanks!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Is it your ankles or is it your whole foot?

Before I began to on my weight lost journey, my feet made it nearly impossible for me to walk. (Yes at 28 i couldn't get out of bed in the morning and walk.)

It turns out, I was starting to have fallen arches.

However, we're not doctors. You may need to go to your doctor to see what's really wrong with your feet.

If you are looking for a good pair of shoes, I went to New Balance store where they matched me with the right shoes and insoles.

They are a little expenisve though.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

Wow! That's awesome. I had no idea they had places like that! Thanks!
    Go to a running store that will scan your feet, watch you run, walk, jog and spend at least an hour or so with you. If they don't do that, go somewhere else. It is 100% worth the time! Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.
  • TXGirl821
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY get some good shoes for your feet type AND your activity! I attempted to start working out wearing running shoes because they were so comfortable for every day stuff, but holy cow. LOL Running shoes + high arches + the elliptical = PAIN FOR DAYS. Now I use a good crosstrainer and I have no issues with my feet and ankles going from the elliptical to strength training.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Shoes! Made me fal in love with running.