warm fuzzies food?

Options
My boyfriend doesn't cook and when I say cook, I mean he usually cannot even make ramen noodles or heat up a pizza. The kitchen is pretty much my domain. I think I am a decent cook and make good food, but I have always held the the opinion that food that other people make always tastes better. So that got me thinking of those foods that mom used to make if I was sick or having a bad day. The things that came to mind were grilled cheese sandwhiches, or any kind of sandwhich with the crust cut off or cut diagonally (sandwhiches taste better when cut diagonally) and ants on a log (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins). What are your "bring you back to childhood foods"?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't cook and when I say cook, I mean he usually cannot even make ramen noodles or heat up a pizza. The kitchen is pretty much my domain. I think I am a decent cook and make good food, but I have always held the the opinion that food that other people make always tastes better. So that got me thinking of those foods that mom used to make if I was sick or having a bad day. The things that came to mind were grilled cheese sandwhiches, or any kind of sandwhich with the crust cut off or cut diagonally (sandwhiches taste better when cut diagonally) and ants on a log (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins). What are your "bring you back to childhood foods"?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Man I LIVE off grilled cheese (now it's just weight watchers singles and whole wheat/flax bread)...but STILL!

My mom's homemade spaghetti (sooo not healthy....LOVE HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE!). I still have brothers who visit that my mom automatically cooks this for cause it was their favorite growing up.

My dads fried rice! Yummy! He taught me how to cook it, so now I try to tweak it to be healthier.
  • LitlKoz
    LitlKoz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I remember Mac and Cheese and Mrs. Grass soup. We would always fight who got to put the egg in.
    Great stuff! :bigsmile:
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well i come from Scotland and my fave childhood meal was "mince and tatties"

pamela

:flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Well i come from Scotland and my fave childhood meal was "mince and tatties"

pamela

:flowerforyou:

HAHA! Alright, I need an explanation/definition....or a picture. :happy:
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Oh and I almost forgot the batter-dipped potatoes mom used to make as well. The name alone sounds fatty doesn't it? They are probably made similar to how you'd make potato chips except she cut the potatoes thicker and didn't deep dry them as long so the outside was golden brown and crispy but the potatoes were still soft and chewy. Sprinkle some salt on top and you've probably got a whole days worth of calories, mmmmm!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Mmmm....sounds like my dad's fried potatoes but he cut them into chunks. :laugh:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    tomato soup and saltines!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

Yum, I don't ordinarily do tomato soup (it's just so boring, lol) but it sounds really good to me and my queasy tummy right now. Maybe I will pair that with the grilled cheese I had planned on for tonight.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I had to look that up... sounds like our hamburger gravy but a lot healthier....

Mince and Tatties
    Serves 4

Mince and tatties is a common dish in Scottish households.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon oil.*
    1 large onion, finely chopped.
    1 lb beef mince.*
    2 medium carrots, sliced.
    1 tablespoon toasted pinhead oatmeal.
    Water to cover.
    1 or 2 beef stock cubes.**
    Salt and pepper.
    Gravy powder.**
    1 lb boiled potatoes, peeled.

Directions:

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion until it is brown.
    Add in the mince and cook until well browned.
    Add the carrots and oatmeal, mix well and pour in enough water to just cover.
    Crumble in the stock cubes, season and stir.
    Cover the pan and simmer the mince for about 20 minutes.
    Once the mince is cooked thicken the mince with about 3 teaspoons of gravy powder
    or corn starch mixed with a little cold water.
    Serve the mince with boiled potatoes.

(another variation, would be to add the potatoes after adding the stock cubes.)

* A word about the beef mince (hamburger meat) in the U.S.
    Most hamburger meat in the U.S has too much fat already in it,
    so adjust accordingly, for example, don't add the oil,
    and do strain off any fat after browning the meat,
    the onions can then be browned after straining the mince.

** Oxo cubes for beef stock, and Bisto for the gravy powder,(if you can get them in the U.S.)
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

Yum, I don't ordinarily do tomato soup (it's just so boring, lol) but it sounds really good to me and my queasy tummy right now. Maybe I will pair that with the grilled cheese I had planned on for tonight.

We had it a lot growing up. I think we used to put more saltines then soup in the bowl. It's the only time I will eat anything soggy. lol
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I still eat grilled cheese.

I just load it up with veggies so that it's the entire meal. :p
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: fried okra fresh picked just before dinner....we'd eat the first batch like popcorn! :happy: :happy:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    MY MOMS MEATLOAF, STUFFED PEPPERS, HOMEMADE SPAGETTI, POT ROAST... BUT SHE ALSO DID THE DIMINTI MOORE STEW... SALSBERRY STEAK IN THE FAM PORTION AND YES GRILLED CHEESE..... OH AND MY DAD MADE OMLETTS WITH HAM AND CHEESE... YUMMY