Weight lose pills...

Options
Has anyone tried any weight loss pills? The only thing I've tried is some green tea caplets. I've known friends to take adepex, rx medication. Any over the counter or rx y'all think help??

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Nope. They're all placebos. Don't waste your money. The secret ingredient of the secret ingredient soup is... nothing. It's all you. If the pills actually worked, everyone would be skinny, and the pharmaceutical companies would make that much less money. They're not out to help anyone but themselves.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Even if they help you to lose some weight, what happens when you stop taking them? The bottom line is that most of us eat too much and move too little. Instead of looking for a quick fix, start looking at what you eat and when and log your calories as well as you can, recognizing that none of us are perfect. Eat less and move more and the weight will come off. You just need to be patient.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    .....don't work!

[/thread]
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Usually they are just caffeine pills. Save your money and have a good cup of coffee.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried every one and the one that makes your ars oily Alli sucks also. Really it's about self control and exercise.......
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There's always a lot of talk about weight loss pills on this board. Which ones work, which ones don't, etc, etc. In reality, there is only one that really works. I guess since it's Christmas time I will tell you which one.

Wait for it.....

Wait for it......................

Ok I was just kidding. There is no such thing as a weight loss pill.

But at least we hopefully saved you some money and futility.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I took bee pollen pills. They did what they suggested, suppressed appetite. They did so well for the 4 days I took them I was able to eat NOTHING and sadly I couldn't even keep water down. I vomited everything that I was able to force myself to eat, I had no energy, I was pale and cold and had pretty terrible diarrhea as well as stomach/intestinal cramping. I lost inches on my lower waist because there was no food to digest in there, and I lost 4-6 lbs (can't remember it was in 2010).

I suggest to anyone else DO NOT take them.
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I talked my doctor into prescribing Phentermine for me. I lost about 25 lbs in the first month, after that..... nothing. I stopped, and after a year or so, asked him again, thinking I might have different results. Same thing, I lost 25 lbs in the first month, after that, nothing. I couldn't see paying 30 dollars a month for something that wasn't working. I sincerely believe it was the placebo effect. My belief that I was taking something to lose weight, caused me to eat less, and work harder at losing, until after a month or so, when it became "routine." In my humble opinion, no such thing as a diet pill!
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can say its not healthy and make a legit argument, however, you can not claim that none of them "work"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECA_stack
  • foofoo2010
    Options
    As most of the posts here say - most diet pills are caffeine pills. What these'll do is boost your metabolic rate slightly. So...if your heart rate is normally 60 beats per minutes, it'll raise it to 70 beats per minutes (just an example). This results in a slight increase to your overall basal metabolic rate (the calories your body burns to keep you alive). For a 150lb (68kg) woman this would be an approximate increase of 10-30 kcalories an hour. These caffeine pills would also then cause you to have a higher heart rate during exercise, which can cause an increase of upwards of 50kcals for every hour of exercise (for that same 150lb woman). However, because these pills cause your heart to work harder, they have been associated with cardiac defects if taken improperly or in excess. Also, because they're high in caffeine, they can cause addiction (not that big of a deal...just be prepared for a massive headache if you stop taking them).

The only over-the-counter pill that has peer-reviewed articles to back its use is Alli (orlistat). With Alli, you take it 15 minutes before meals. It coats your small intestine and binds to some of the fat molecules, preventing their absorption through the small intestine. When taken properly, it prevents you from absorbing up to 30% of the fat you ingest. So if you eat 100kcals of fat, it will prevent you from absorbing 30kcals, resulting in an overall consumption of 70kcals. However, because the fat is not absorbed in the small intestine, it is excreted as a waste product through the colon, resulting in greasy stools. Also, because Alli prevents the absorption of some fat, it can also prevent the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) which can also lead to to some potential adverse effects.

I hope all this helps. It's a lot of information, I know.

TLDR; diet pills are a useful tool to help augment the effects of diet and exercise on weight loss.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    There's always a lot of talk about weight loss pills on this board. Which ones work, which ones don't, etc, etc. In reality, there is only one that really works. I guess since it's Christmas time I will tell you which one.

Wait for it.....

I was kinda hoping for you to say the ones that make you poop allot haha.
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    I've tried a lot of different "diet pills" over the years. None of them worked. In my opinion, they are a giant waste of money. Little changes in your diet help out a lot. When I was trying to lose my baby weight, I stopped drinking soda. Five pounds gone in one week just from that change alone, and I wasn't even working out then. Also, water is a great appetite suppressant. Try drinking one to two eight oz. glasses of water before each meal, and you'll be suprised how much that helps as well.
  • Island_Mermaid
    Options
    i was upset and lmao at the same time with this
  • Island_Mermaid
    Options

Wait for it.....

i was upset and lmao at the same time with this
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Usually they are just caffeine pills. Save your money and have a good cup of coffee.

Yeah this (as well as what everyone else said). Or you could drink green tea. It is good for your health if you like it (I like it a lot), but I don't think it helps with weight loss. No point spending money on green tea pills or any unnecessary pills.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As most of the posts here say - most diet pills are caffeine pills. What these'll do is boost your metabolic rate slightly. So...if your heart rate is normally 60 beats per minutes, it'll raise it to 70 beats per minutes (just an example). This results in a slight increase to your overall basal metabolic rate (the calories your body burns to keep you alive). For a 150lb (68kg) woman this would be an approximate increase of 10-30 kcalories an hour. These caffeine pills would also then cause you to have a higher heart rate during exercise, which can cause an increase of upwards of 50kcals for every hour of exercise (for that same 150lb woman). However, because these pills cause your heart to work harder, they have been associated with cardiac defects if taken improperly or in excess. Also, because they're high in caffeine, they can cause addiction (not that big of a deal...just be prepared for a massive headache if you stop taking them).

The only over-the-counter pill that has peer-reviewed articles to back its use is Alli (orlistat). With Alli, you take it 15 minutes before meals. It coats your small intestine and binds to some of the fat molecules, preventing their absorption through the small intestine. When taken properly, it prevents you from absorbing up to 30% of the fat you ingest. So if you eat 100kcals of fat, it will prevent you from absorbing 30kcals, resulting in an overall consumption of 70kcals. However, because the fat is not absorbed in the small intestine, it is excreted as a waste product through the colon, resulting in greasy stools. Also, because Alli prevents the absorption of some fat, it can also prevent the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) which can also lead to to some potential adverse effects.

TLDR; diet pills are a useful tool to help augment the effects of diet and exercise on weight loss.

Two words: anal leakage
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Two words: anal leakage
    Exactly. I'd rather not have to wear diapers and walk around leaking orange oil out of my backside all day. I still haven't figured out how that's considered "sensible" weight loss.
  • hismommy2
    Options
    OMG Y'all have truly made me sit here and belly laugh. Thank y'all so much!
  • hismommy2
    Options

Wait for it.....

buahaha. I hate you LOL
  • hismommy2
    Options
    I think I've tried every one and the one that makes your ars oily Alli sucks also. Really it's about self control and exercise.......

buahaha. y'all kill me.