Shrimp Tails

Options
I use a lot of shrimp in my cooking. The other day, when I was making brunch for my wife and daughters, I prepared shrimp omelettes. I pulled all the tails off. I put them in a bowl, drizzled olive oil all over them and sprinkled a fish rub on them. I then spread them out on a baking sheet and baked them.

Don't ask whay I do stuff like that; I just do. They were delicious. Grossed everyone else out.

Anyway, I have been trying to get a handle on the nutritional value. Anyone know anything that might be helpful? Not a lot on the internet, other than the exoskeleton of shellfish is what they make Chitosan out of.

Replies

• GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    The most I would do is boil them for stock. If you liked them & actually ate them, more power to you. I would rather eat a dirty gym sock personally :sick:
  • jusimm
    jusimm Posts: 28
    Options
    Shrimp is in the food diary. Some generic brands too if you bought it fresh. I assume tails would be the same as you don't eat the heads. Love shrimp. I buy the frozen already cooked brands and put them in pasta.
  • Granny2b
    Granny2b Posts: 91
    Options
    Sounds yukky to me LOL but glad you enjoyed them XXX:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Ewww, LOL!

I'm interested to know now. I'm sure they are eaten in other cultures. I'll try to google a good answer here in a bit. :smile:
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    The most I would do is boil them for stock. If you liked them & actually ate them, more power to you. I would rather eat a dirty gym sock personally :sick:

That was my wife's reaction too.

Jan? Is that you?
  • esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of shrimp in my cooking. The other day, when I was making brunch for my wife and daughters, I prepared shrimp omelettes. I pulled all the tails off. I put them in a bowl, drizzled olive oil all over them and sprinkled a fish rub on them. I then spread them out on a baking sheet and baked them.

Don't ask whay I do stuff like that; I just do. They were delicious. Grossed everyone else out.

Anyway, I have been trying to get a handle on the nutritional value. Anyone know anything that might be helpful? Not a lot on the internet, other than the exoskeleton of shellfish is what they make Chitosan out of.

that sounds good! haha but then again i love shrimp lol i might have to try this out!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love shrimp tails when they are deep fried yum!!!!!!!!!!
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    I love shrimp tails when they are deep fried yum!!!!!!!!!!

They have the same consistency as fried, but without a ton of oil.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    "Just checked my own supply of glucosamine and it says it contains "shellfish exoskeleton" - sounds yummy, eh"

http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=296036
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Is it ok to eat shrimp tails?

No, you should never do this. It's very dangerous.

I am an emergency room nurse, and recently treated a patient rushed in to the hospital in an unconscious state. It turned out that there was internal hemmoraging caused by the jagged part of an undigested shrimp tail. While the consistentcy of a shrimp tail may seem to be like that of a human fingernail, the latter is broken down by stomach enzymes, while the shrimp tail is immune to the enzymes.

Further, long term consumption of the inedible parts of shellfish have been known to cause irreparable damage to the GI tract.

Suprisingly, the New England Journal of Medicine has recently published a study finding that the effects of shrimp tails stated above are exacerbated with the introduction of acids found in the skins of citrus fruits, such as oranges or kiwis. (While a small percentage of the American population partakes in the consumption of the skins of such fruits, it has been found that there is a large overlap with those who eat the tails of shrimp.)

Hope that was helpful.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_ok_to_eat_shrimp_tails
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I googled the phrase "Can you eat shrimp tails?" since I got very few results with "nutritional value of shrimp tails". I can't access many of the sites from work but thought I'd suggest it to you for further research...

http://www.google.com/#q=can+you+eat+shrimp+tails?&hl=en&sa=2&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    Is it ok to eat shrimp tails?

No, you should never do this. It's very dangerous.

I am an emergency room nurse, and recently treated a patient rushed in to the hospital in an unconscious state. It turned out that there was internal hemmoraging caused by the jagged part of an undigested shrimp tail. While the consistentcy of a shrimp tail may seem to be like that of a human fingernail, the latter is broken down by stomach enzymes, while the shrimp tail is immune to the enzymes.

Further, long term consumption of the inedible parts of shellfish have been known to cause irreparable damage to the GI tract.

Suprisingly, the New England Journal of Medicine has recently published a study finding that the effects of shrimp tails stated above are exacerbated with the introduction of acids found in the skins of citrus fruits, such as oranges or kiwis. (While a small percentage of the American population partakes in the consumption of the skins of such fruits, it has been found that there is a large overlap with those who eat the tails of shrimp.)

Hope that was helpful.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_ok_to_eat_shrimp_tails

I read all that too as I was researching. Thanks.

Unfortunately, there are as many opinions on both sider of the fence. Very little from a reputable source. They taste good and satisfy my crunch cravings. I'm going to eat them. Thanks everyone.
  • BubbaGump99
    Options
    For what it's worth, I searched for both shrimp and kiwi separately in the New England Journal of Medicine, and didn't see any articles about shrimp tail consumption-- with or without the addition of kiwi skin to your diet. Maybe I missed it, or maybe it was in a different journal.

On the other hand, I just ate some shrimp tails, and if you didn't chew them well, they'd be pretty sharp. I'd be careful.