Questions About Chalean Extreme

Options
Mon 12/24/12 07:51 PM
I just started Push Phase and I'm a complete beginner to lifting. I went through the entire Burn Phase with pretty light weights...5-8-10 lbs. I eventually abandoned the 5's in favor of the 8's and the 10's. I've upped it to 10-15-20 for this round, but I'm thinking that in 2 weeks I will abandon the 10's and move to 15-20-25/30. I'm sure in Lean phase, I'll go even higher. My goal is to work into a readiness plan for NROLFW.

What do you think of the progression? Is it too slow? Are the weights not heavy enough? Any other beginners have any insight? What weights did you use?

Backstory: Since I don't have the money to keep buying weights, I wrote out all the exercises on a spreadsheet of sorts and take it to the gym. I practice going slow and good form in front of a huge mirror and 9 times out of 10, I finish in about the same time the DVD ends. Thus, the possibilities for weights are gym-quality.

Replies

• Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    I am in Lean Phase.
    I also don't have much money to buy more weights. I started owning 5, 8, 10s. I bought a nice mirror to check form. Then I bought 15 and 20 pound weights.
    I think the lowest I used was the 8s in some shoulder exercises. 10s on most other upper body. 15-20 for lower body.
    In the beginning of Lean Phase I think I messed up somehow or it was too much for my elbows so I took a break. I started Turbo Fire and with that I got a red band. I've started doing Lean again but with just the red band. I don't know the weight of that, but I find it can use it for most all exercises and whatever was hurting my joints has disappeared with the band.
    In short, you are lifting more than me!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what your abbrevation stands for LOL.. I have Chalene xtreme. I am on the push month to. I did 8/12 on burn. and now 12- 14.5 on the burn. I just recently got adjustable weights, that wil go up to thirty. But I cant have them until tomorrow. My husband thinks I have to wait. LOL But I am amazed at how quick I have moved up. Dont worry about the progression move at your own pace. It has to be heavy for you. I do most 14.5 except on the tricepts I am around 8 still because Id have to take apart the weight each time. I do have bands too, so I can use them. I think once I am done I will restart with heavier weights.
  • LadyLuckAJ
    LadyLuckAJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am on my last week of CLX and JMO if the weights are giving you a burn that allows you to fail at the 6-8 (Push) or 10 -12 (Lean) then you are using the right weights.

During the push phase i was up to 35lbs each hand on squats but now in lean i have pulled back due to the combinations that are put together. if you can, purchase adjustables weights.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Throughout the Burn and Push Phase I managed to increase from 5lb weights to 15 lb weights for most of the upper body, and up to 20lb weights for the lower body. But since starting Lean Phase, I had to touch it down a notch for some of the exercises since most included the whole body and in order to have good form, I couldn't go as heavy as before. I am not complaining though, I still feel the burn, and while I work up my strength further, I am saving money for more weights haha. Thinking of getting the selectecs 1090 sometime next year. Working on being able to comfortably lift 20 lbs =P
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP i think it sounds like a good plan. i'm not by any means a beginner but i think you're plan is good because it allows some progression.

you should definitely be ready for nrol4w by the time you're done. just keep in mind that NROL4W and other traditional strenhgth training programs will rely more on compound movements (squats, deadlifts, pullups) rather than so much isolation moves that you do in chalean (bicep curls, tricep extensions), so you'll be mainly using a barbell which makes weight progression easier.

good luck!
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    OP i think it sounds like a good plan. i'm not by any means a beginner but i think you're plan is good because it allows some progression.

you should definitely be ready for nrol4w by the time you're done. just keep in mind that NROL4W and other traditional strenhgth training programs will rely more on compound movements (squats, deadlifts, pullups) rather than so much isolation moves that you do in chalean (bicep curls, tricep extensions), so you'll be mainly using a barbell which makes weight progression easier.

good luck!

Right, I think someone even said there won't be any bicep curls and such. I just want to be ready to lift that heavy weight when the time comes. Thank you for the reassurances and the tips.

To everyone else, thank you for your insight! I was embarrassed that I was lifting so light...not that it's at all a bad thing to start light in any exercise program, but I feel a little better now. :)