Lock joints while doing weights?

Options
Is it best to lock joints when lifting weights or not? I would think it's best to keep the tension in the muscle and also not to wear my joints down but I am not sure though

Replies

• 19toots66
    19toots66 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees and I always keep a soft knee while working out and lifting weights
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Never do that!!! Your joints will thank you for it!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A full lockout is generally unnecessary.
  • Maaarkk
    Maaarkk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference really.. I would say not to lock out. Keeps the stress on your muscle by not locking out, once you lock out, the stress will transfer to your joint & if going heavy it could cause you problems.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you're a powerlifter, your core lifts require lock-outs to pass as a lift. for greater myofribillar hypertrophy response from the muscle, do not lock the joins. This will put consistent strain on the muscles. Hence ('time under tension'.
  • shedder3000
    Options
    I was told never to lock joints when doing weights but I only really follow this advice on the leg press
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It depends on the movement.
    You lock at the top of a bench press.
    You lock your arms during the full deadlift (to protect your biceps/etc) and legs at the top.

However, calf raises on the leg press you generally keep a slight bend.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are controlling the lift and utilizing the target muscles appropriately, you can fully straighten the limb and not "lock out" the joint.