Japanese Magazines...

Options
TRIGERRING!!

I'm half-Japanese, half-Korean and I usually avoid gyaru (japanese over-accessorized girls style) magazines, since they include this..

245.jpg
244.jpg
6077042897_b9ea2b228a_b.jpg
139.jpg
6077580972_273bb755ca_z.jpg

Your thoughts?

Replies

• Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Well to be frank, I find these girls on the after pics too thin on my book though I know there is a tremendous pressure in Asia for girls to become overly thin judging from Asians having naturally smaller bodies. I know coz I live in the Philippines where the average weight for women of my same height of 157cms or 5'2 ranges from 40-45kgs. (90-100lbs.) and so even me at 56kgs (124 lbs.), 19% body fat and fits into a US size 2/XXS or Euro size 34/XS, while considered skinny by the majority but here I still look kinda big and in fact I'm having a lot of trouble finding clothes with good fitting and also shoes that fits my US size 9/Euro size 40 feet. Shoe sizes here ranges from US size 3/Euro size 34 to US size 7/Euro size 38.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It is sad, depressing, and encourages a VERY unhealthy lifestyle.

But you don't see girls that skinny on the streets of Tokyo everyday. Those are unusual even by Japan's overly-thin ideals
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    sheesh..way to promote such an unhealthy lifestyle and a long line of Eating disorders.i wonder if the Japanese men really find these models attractive
  • Yunnieh
    Options
    Trust me, the ones that walk in Harajuku and seem to be a healthy weight, are constantly trying to lose weight and unhappy about themselves. They want to look like stick-thin anime characters.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    This is a huge problem in Asia. You can never be too thin. Its the culture over here. I know many healthy, fit people who come here and they're looked at as if they're giant cows. That includes men with 6 packs and very low BF%. Unless you're stick thin and have a flat *kitten*, you are not thin enough. My own family is HIGHLY encouraging me to develop an ED. Mind you, some of these advice to develop an ED is coming from doctors in my family too...
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    'dem whacky, whacky Japanese.......

In all seriousness, I'm a huge anime fan and love some of the Japanese styles. (Ganguro looks like so much fun to me), but as the world turns, so does the fetishization of sexualizing pre-pubescent bodies.

I think it's tremendously creepy.

The pressure for Japanese women to be subservient, soft-spoken, and childlike in voice and demeanor seems like it would be difficult to work through.
    Options
    This is a huge problem in Asia. You can never be too thin. Its the culture over here. I know many healthy, fit people who come here and they're looked at as if they're giant cows. That includes men with 6 packs and very low BF%. Unless you're stick thin and have a flat *kitten*, you are not thin enough. My own family is HIGHLY encouraging me to develop an ED. Mind you, some of these advice to develop an ED is coming from doctors in my family too...
    Absolutely agree, I'm one of those who look like a cow even at 19% body fat and with visible abs & muscle definition. I am skinny by international standards (read: western) but here in Asia I am not. Most of the time I feel frustrated when shopping for clothes coz I had to wear one or two sizes bigger than my actual size coz of the fitting and jeans that fits on my waist but is tight around my butt. It seems that their clothes are tailored for stick thin girls without curves.

By the way, its sad to hear that your doctors there are encouraging your family to develop an ED. I seriously hope that they realize that their job is to improve people's health and not promoting a slow death to their patients.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    the extremely thin "afters" almost look like aliens.

yikes!
  • Yunnieh
    Options
    Absolutely agree, I'm one of those who look like a cow even at 19% body fat and with visible abs & muscle definition. I am skinny by international standards (read: western) but here in Asia I am not. Most of the time I feel frustrated when shopping for clothes coz I had to wear one or two sizes bigger than my actual size coz of the fitting and jeans that fits on my waist but is tight around my butt. It seems that their clothes are tailored for stick thin girls without curves.

There is no thing as ''toned'' or ''curvy'' or ''fit'' in Japan. They're all classified as ''fat''.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Trust me, the ones that walk in Harajuku and seem to be a healthy weight, are constantly trying to lose weight and unhappy about themselves. They want to look like stick-thin anime characters.

Given your goal weight,i seriously hope you are 4'6"/4'7" ft tall and not one of them:flowerforyou:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Given your goal weight,i seriously hope you are 4'6"/4'7" ft tall and not one of them:flowerforyou:

I agree with that, that goal weight is insanely low, I was at death's door with anorexia at that weight, 33kg.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    surreal

sad

sorry I opened this thread
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Holy Photoshop! :noway: The "afters" are as distorted as funhouse mirrors.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

That is sad. I do have to admit that I felt huge over there. I'm 170 cm and 55 kg, and am considered borderline "metabo." I'm a US 2-4.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    One word!

EEEWWWW!
    Options

There is no thing as ''toned'' or ''curvy'' or ''fit'' in Japan. They're all classified as ''fat''.
    Not only in Japan but in the whole East and Southeast Asia. I live in SE Asia and also have been to China and Singapore and their XL there is equivalent to a US size 8. At my size, I'm considered a M or sometimes L here but I'm US size 0-2.
  • Yunnieh
    Options
    Also note that 25 bmi is considered Obese and 23 overweight in Japan.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    This is sad. I was aware already that places like Japan have an ideal of beauty that is to be quite tiny, and that many healthy weight people see themselves as fat. I had no idea it was that bad though and the magazines basically encouraged weights so dangerously low!
    Options
    Also note that 25 bmi is considered Obese and 23 overweight in Japan.
    Wow that's crazy. All I know is that in Asian BMI standards, 23 is considered overweight and 27 is considered obese but not 25. So in Asian standards I'm already considered in borderline overweight, though since I'm not Asian and know that I have a medium frame with my bones sticking out so I absolutely don't take it seriously.