Japanese Magazines...

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Also note that 25 bmi is considered Obese and 23 overweight in Japan.

Interesting and disturbing pics.

Is there any medical reason Asian people are more disease prone at smaller BMIs? Not trying to suggest the ultra-low weights are healthy, but just trying to figure this out. Its frankly kind of mind blowing.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Also note that 25 bmi is considered Obese and 23 overweight in Japan.

Interesting and disturbing pics.

Is there any medical reason Asian people are more disease prone at smaller BMIs? Not trying to suggest the ultra-low weights are healthy, but just trying to figure this out. Its frankly kind of mind blowing.
    That's because Asians carry a higher body fat percentage at lower BMI. Also their bones are less dense compared to the Whites and Blacks. Its just that they are naturally smaller boned but that doesn't mean they cannot be prone to obesity related illnesses. A lot of them are in fact skinny-fat.
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BMI in Japan:
    Normal from 18.5 to 22.9
    Overweight from 23.0 to 24.9
    Obese 25.0 and above

Asian parents are strict as hell. Normal isn't good enough. If you're stupid, they make you study 24/7, if you're smart, they make you study 24/7, if you're fat, they will judge you, if you're too skinny, they will judge you. Nothing is enough for them.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I totally related. I am Asian and is in South East Asian at the moment. I am almost at my goal weight now ( goal weight is 52kg, current weight is around 56kg and start weight was 68-69kg) yet when I go out to buy clothes, I still have to buy their large size outfit. :(
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Aren't the population taxed based on their waist size?
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Low bone density, thinner bones, lower musculature and a tendency to store fat viscerally
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Holy front page camel toe Batman!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be rude, but did you start this thread so you could give yourself an excuse to achieve your crazy unhealthy goal weight of 33kg (72lbs)?
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Well to be frank, I find these girls on the after pics too thin on my book though I know there is a tremendous pressure in Asia for girls to become overly thin judging from Asians having naturally smaller bodies. I know coz I live in the Philippines where the average weight for women of my same height of 157cms or 5'2 ranges from 40-45kgs. (90-100lbs.) and so even me at 56kgs (124 lbs.), 19% body fat and fits into a US size 2/XXS or Euro size 34/XS, while considered skinny by the majority but here I still look kinda big and in fact I'm having a lot of trouble finding clothes with good fitting and also shoes that fits my US size 9/Euro size 40 feet. Shoe sizes here ranges from US size 3/Euro size 34 to US size 7/Euro size 38.

^ Thanks for posting this. I never knew the pressures to this extreme existed. :flowerforyou:
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my husband about this!

Though frankly, I'd be thrilled to look super skinny (though admittedly, some of those girls look too thin). I don't really have the bone structure for it though. Oh well. I'll work with what I got.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I remember in college when I weighed about 120 pounds, a Japanese national who was a co-worker of mine at a part-time on-campus job said that I was "big". I nearly burst into tears and he apologized. Now when I look at photos of myself from those days, I can totally tell I wasn't big at all. I used to wear a size 4/5 but he thought it was big because he was used to even tinier women.
  • skinnyinjapan1
    Options
    you can just avoid those magazines and buy other ones... I've never seen such a magazine before, and I currently live in Kobe. I read a lot of beauty and fashion magazines and even the models aren't as thin as those girls. So I think this is just a very small niche you've found somewhere in Japan, just like you can find pro-anorexic websites in the USA or Europe. Same thing. So please don't start generalising.

Japanese girls are thinner en smaller than western girls but the girls I talk to don't feel fat or feel like they need to lose weight... So again, not all people in Japan are like this.

I'm a western girl and I have a BMI of 27. I don't feel big here (not any different from in Europe). I fit in their clothes perfectly although the dresses are usually too short because I have boobs and am 167cm. The one-size-fits-all or Medium/Large usually fits me. Except for pants and skirts; Japanese girls don't have hips so I don't fit in any of their pants or skirts.
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Do you mean this is ''Triggering'' a starvation problem? Your diary is set to 500 calories a day. Please don't look at these magazines then. And certainly don't post them because there are others on here with eating disorders and it might ''trigger'' them as well.
    ~ much love to you...
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    TRIGERRING!!

I'm half-Japanese, half-Korean and I usually avoid gyaru (japanese over-accessorized girls style) magazines, since they include this..

245.jpg
    244.jpg
    6077042897_b9ea2b228a_b.jpg
    139.jpg
    6077580972_273bb755ca_z.jpg

Your thoughts?

th_fnychickpiccomment_zps3d271ecb.gif
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    They look stick incects and they need to be in hospital to fix their disorders. I suggest you get help too since you have your calories set to 500 and want to be 33kgs. I'm so sad for you. Stop reading rubbish if it's triggering you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You are trying to avoid Japanese Magazines because you don't want to look at anorexic girls yet you want to be 72lbs and you are eating 500cals a day.

Yeahhhhh....hmmmm....something doesn't add up here.

And I'm part Japanese and also lived in Japan and it's not as bad as you are airing it out to be. Yeah, they have some issues...but so does everyone in every part of the world when it comes to image and eating disorders. I knew a lot of Japanese girls who were skinny and curvier and a lot of them were actually okay with themselves.

I guess it boils down to them just being "People"....who knew....
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people get so small.
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If either of my daughters were that thin I would be worried - how have you avoided the peer pressure?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Good lord! I would need to walk around Japan with a doctor, cause I'm pretty sure I would break any of those girls if I walked passed them fast enough, let alone if I touched them.