nausea and shaking when exercising what does it mean

Options
nausea and shaking when exercising what does it mean. 57, woman,198lbs, 1400 cal per day. riding stationary bike, avg HR 117 (stupid HR monitor) I was huffing and perspiring and breathing hard. Been doing the bike since Oct. Usually 3 30min sessions a day last few days 60min at once. yesterdays avg HR was 131 (I know I was working it hard). Did 60 min no problem. Sipping water cause mouth gets dry from deep breathing thru the mouth. I had to stop after 20 minutes because I could not take the nausea and shaking anymore. I don't think it is that I am stepping up my level too fast as I just recently stepped it up (week) and had been doing same lowest level possible since Oct. Only turned up bike one notch. Old machine dial on the post. Display shows 18.5 miles per hour. (worked up 1 mile per hour from 10 mph in Oct. until I got to 18.5) . Hope this is all the info you need. (ate baked oatmeal about 2 hours before). What do you think it is? I am trying to do this so I can eat back my calories so this puts a damper on the holiday.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check hydration as well as electrolyte (balance)
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am going to sit here and drink alot of water. How do I add in electolytes if I hate gator aid type flavored or sugary drinks. Is there another source?
  • recpharm
    recpharm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Possibly low blood sugar. You may have needed to eat a snack.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've noticed I get that way when I haven't had enough fuel including water.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try an apple with peanut butter or some nuts.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    water and a snack. Sounds like low blood sugar.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar? Water? Electrolytes? Could be any or all of those. Shaking sounds like low blood sugar to me... which is not fun at all! It might be time to up your calories a little, especially if you are getting fitter and pushing harder in your workouts. Be very cautious and follow up with your dr. Strange symptoms while exercising can mean something as common and relatively harmless as dehydration or low blood sugar or they can mean something as serious as a heart condition.
  • RobynLB
    Options
    I am going to sit here and drink alot of water. How do I add in electolytes if I hate gator aid type flavored or sugary drinks. Is there another source?

Smart water. Tastes like normal water, but it has electrolytes added like gatorade.
  • nanainkent
    Options
    Thanks all, I don't know why I didn't think of Low blood sugar. I have bouts of it sometimes from eating certain carbs. I bet thats it. Gonna go eat some Peanut butter.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Low blood sugar or electrolyte imbalance.

Did you have a headache afterwards?

Try hydrating with a sports drink next time when you exercise (at a moderate pace) and see if happens.
    You can also try eating something sweet about a half hour before you exercise if it is processed, etc.

Generally, cardiovascular problems would have shown up by now, so it is most likely a dietary issue.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Glycogen depletion (low blood sugar) keep hydrated, don't push yourself to failure, and be sure you have a good supply of slow-digesting nutrients in you before the workout.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Smart water. Tastes like normal water, but it has electrolytes added like gatorade.

Could be low blood sugar, esp. if you add sugar to your oatmeal. Try adding a little protein like peanut butter or a handful of nuts to your breakfast. If the problem persists, check with your Dr.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Coconut water is nature's Gatorade. Much healthier anyway :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    1 litre water, teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt. Works for me.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It could be your blood sugar. Have a protein drink on hand when working out; that's what I have to do because I am hypoglycemic. Also, it could be sugar and/or caffeine withdrawal symptoms if you are attempting to cut down on these things. Make sure you have some protein and a banana pre-workout and also some protein post-workout. :wink:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    1 litre water, teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt. Works for me.
    Yup. Used to use that when I trained as a competitive club swimmer.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Have you had a heart stress test. The only one who is qualified to diagnose your symptoms is a qualified health professional. Don't take these symptoms lightly at our age. Good Luck!
  • nanainkent
    Options
    I did have my heart checked before I began this journey, Had the echo, treadmill stress, ekg,and 3d pictures taken. My heart is good, no problems. I ate some peanut butter, drinking water, going to the salt and water suggestion, and eat a banana with a protien shake. I am not going to let this derail me today. I am on a mission.
  • RobynLB
    Options
    I did have my heart checked before I began this journey, Had the echo, treadmill stress, ekg,and 3d pictures taken. My heart is good, no problems. I ate some peanut butter, drinking water, going to the salt and water suggestion, and eat a banana with a protien shake. I am not going to let this derail me today. I am on a mission.

Peanut butter, banana, and protein shake combo might be overkill.