Kickboxing Cardio

Options
Wondering if anyone knows of any good videos for kickboxing. I am becoming extremely bored with my exercise bike and looking to do something more enjoyable :) I have found a few things online but not sure which ones are better than others. I want something that has good form to it, but something that a beginner can start doing.

Thanks for any help !

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Turbo jam is my absolutely favorite! It's a whole series with various routines and times. It's a blast!!
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, I will check that one out :)
  • FitEndAg_i
    Options
    Get a cheap, single-speed bike and ride outside, that's what I did 30 lbs ago. Not bored out there!
  • Akumu
    Options
    Update to this. Discovered Fitness Blender, which I absolutely love. Have begun the 8 week program :

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Lose-Weight-with-Fitness-Blenders-Workout-Videos-8-Week-Fat-Loss-Program/cb/

Also, found a good kickboxing workout there as well:

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Cardio-Kickboxing-Workout-400-Calorie-Cardio-Routine/aj/

Would love to hear from anyone else that has done the 8 week program :)
  • princessmicki
    princessmicki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    go on youtube..any billy banks are good they have begginer levals ,and really work your abs and whole body..ive been doing different workouts on youtube..the key is to just get moving dosent really matter which ones there all going to help ..I find doing different workouts keeps me from getting bored and helps my body not get used to doing just one thing t
  • Akumu
    Options
    I agree. I was so surprised to find how many videos there are on youtube. I didn't realize there was that much free content out there. I will check out the Billy Banks, thanks.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Turbofire, hands down. It's incredibly fun and incredibly effective. I've had GREAT results and I've never looked forward to a workout so much.
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a kick boxing dvd that's only $10 it has 3 different 20 minute workouts on it.
  • Punkin7411
    Punkin7411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started out with the original Turbo Jam borrowed from my Beachbody coach sister-in-law to make sure I liked it. I love Chalene Johnson and Turbo Jam. I got very bored with the gym so I dropped it. I got used to Turbo Jam and wanted more so I bought Turbo Jam Fat Blaster and love it. I then bought Turbo Fire (described by someone as Turbo Jam's big sister and that's accurate) when they recently had the "steal" at $53. That special is running right now; you should grab it for later when you work up to it. You have to work up to every level but that's what keeps you moving. I mix up the programs and do cardio 5 days and strength training 2 days a week. I am after calorie burn and weight loss but understand the importance of strength training. Along with tracking calories on MFP I have lost 27 pounds, averaging 1.6 - 2 lbs per week. I have found the perfect groove for me and you will find what is best for you too. Best of luck!! Happy kickboxing, Turbo style!
  • Punkin7411
    Punkin7411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to do Billy Blanks' kickboxing and still have the VHS tapes!! Considering donating them to a thrift store in town. If you were in N.C. I'd give them to you!!
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Billy Blanks, Chris Freytag and Jeanette Jenkins are a few I like.

Mixing it up is good.
  • cehinton
    Options
    The only problem with kickboxing videos are that you have to watch a screen, and that screen is not always in the best position in relation to where your body is needing to aim. That can cause not only bad form and habits, but you can seriously pull one of your neck muscles.
    I have a program that I invented myself, and it uses a heavy bag, and I have what you're going to do each round specifically written out, and you just refer to it at the beginning of the round, and do that same combo for the 3 minutes. That way you can stare straight AT the bag, and not off to a side somewhere.
    However, for most people just doing "cardio kickboxing" where a bag is not involved, it might not make quite as much difference.
    If you have a heavy bag at home and want to check out what I do, just go to kickboxingathome.com and you can read all about my program/system, and there's a few video clips to give you an idea of what the rounds might look like on the heavy bag.
    I'm a kickboxing teacher, so if you ever have any questions about kickboxing, it is definitely my pleasure to help people, FOR FREE, because I'm so passionate about it and feel its just an awesome way to exercise.
    Take care!