How to deal with loose skin after weight loss?

Options
Any tips how to tighten the skin faster?

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    weight training ... enough said
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't know I'm afraid but Id like to if anyone else has any ideas?
  • kasey1031
    Options
    Need to also drink lots of water while weight training. Best way is to weight lift while losing it tightens everything as losing so there is less lose skin at the end!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    drink tons of water and weight training. Theres nothing else you can really do. It takes a lot longer for skin to shrink/adjust than it does to lose weight. If its extremely excessive then cosmetic surgery is possibly an option.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Only plastic surgery can remove excess skin. It will tighten some on its own with proper exercise, but once the skin is stretched, it will not ever go back to the way it was.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options

As much as I resisted this...I now wholeheartedly agree. It has really tightened up my tummy in a short time!
  • ilija139
    Options
    The loose skin is around my waist, so I should do more abs exercises, or just general weight lifting?
  • kasey1031
    Options
    weightlifting helps everywhere if you do the right ones! Mountain climbers work. Sit ups! The fun stuff you know!! Lots of water.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Only plastic surgery can remove excess skin. It will tighten some on its own with proper exercise, but once the skin is stretched, it will not ever go back to the way it was.

I'd have to disagree....I believe yes some people require plastic surgery but not all. I've lost 100 lbs so far and my skin isn't as loose as I thought it would be. I find that it's from lifting more instead of only cardio, but this is only my opinion.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    Compound lifts! Squats and dead lifts are 2 of the best! bodybuilding.com has a ton of different routines you could follow.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options

As much as I resisted this...I now wholeheartedly agree. It has really tightened up my tummy in a short time!

What she said! I was very very resistant to the idea of weight training but oh my goodness, it tightened things up QUICK. Not perfect by any means, but a massive difference within a couple of weeks.
    And make sure you are eating enough :).
  • ilija139
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

I'd have to disagree....I believe yes some people require plastic surgery but not all. I've lost 100 lbs so far and my skin isn't as loose as I thought it would be. I find that it's from lifting more instead of only cardio, but this is only my opinion.

I have very loose skin after losing 165 lbs over about 2 years (I didn't weight training during this time).. In the last few years I have done weight training (such as heavy lifts, squats/deadlifts and also circuit training and other forms of fitness).. it has made no difference. My loose skin is not going anywhere. I will consider plastic surgery when I'm at my goal weight but I hear it's pretty expensive. If you go overseas it's about 20k.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

And make sure you are eating enough :).

^^^ This is the TRUTH!!! When I began the strength training, I didn't eat enough and I passed out!!! Not fun :ohwell: So now I eat a protein bar an hour before I go to the gym and I eat (or try to eat on most days) the recommended calories per my dietitian. Oh and drink LOTS of water throughout the day - on all days (no less than 64 oz per day ~ I get thrown off when I'm not at work). I was also dehydrated.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

ever need anything send me a message , i think I could give you some great advice
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I have very loose skin after losing 165 lbs over about 2 years (I didn't weight training during this time).. In the last few years I have done weight training (such as heavy lifts, squats/deadlifts and also circuit training and other forms of fitness).. it has made no difference. My loose skin is not going anywhere. I will consider plastic surgery when I'm at my goal weight but I hear it's pretty expensive. If you go overseas it's about 20k.

excessive weight loss will leave your skin loose and most likely beyond normal repair. I'm not surprised it never recovered after you lost 165lb, but good for you for losing all that weight.

If someone loses 20-30lb and are still relatively young then their skin will tighten up over time, it just takes a while longer. The skin is a living organ just like anything else, not an elastic band.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

excessive weight loss will leave your skin loose and most likely beyond normal repair. I'm not surprised it never recovered after you lost 165lb, but good for you for losing all that weight.

If someone loses 20-30lb and are still relatively young then their skin will tighten up over time, it just takes a while longer. The skin is a living organ just like anything else, not an elastic band.

Thanks. Yep - I am sure if the OP has only lost a bit of weight it'll be fine. But for sure large amounts of weight loss will lead to excess skin which may not be fixed easily.

I was only 23 when I lost the weight so it wasn't like I was older or anything. I have spoken with a plastic surgeon and they said I'm carrying probably around 6kg (or 13 lbs) of excess skin.

I would love to know of anybody who has had similar loss and had their excess skin go away after a while.
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I was actually thin, I ONLY did cardio. I was never toned though. I am overweight now and have splurged on getting a personal trainer. She drills in my my head a few things to slim up, tone up, and help prevent the sagginess. Lots of protein, vegetables, water, and weight training. She is 53 and looks about 40 with an amazing body. I have been with her a couple months now. I am not always consistent with my diet or training, but I can definitely tell a difference in my legs and arms. I have lost several inches total and it is definitely not just hanging there.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options

I had a tummy tuck and loose skin removed exactly 3 years ago in Waterville, Maine and the cost was $4500. My result was fabulous and my care top notch.