Going Vegan?

Options
Has anyone seen major differences after going vegan? Like fat loss? I am considering it, because my college for some reason never has just chicken. It's always crispy crap that is no good for anyone!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    That's a very popular reason, good for you, more meat for me. j/k
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It depends on your food choices beyond merely vegan. I've known some very overweight vegans! You still have to keep calories under control and may find it harder to keep a good balance between carbs and proteins. I had no trouble at all getting lots of healthy fats on a vegan diet and even managed to keep protein level in the same range as when I eat meat. But I found it quite expensive!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    At the very least it will make you more aware of what you eat which can help you lose weight. I went vegetarian when I was 7 and I went full vegan pretty recently. I do it on and off but I'm really trying to stick to it now.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You're going vegan (one of the hardest to abide by and most restrictive diets you can follow) because your college serves crispy chicken?

Dafuq did I just read.

Do some serious research and consider your current motive is perhaps a little bit silly.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    That would be quite the radical adjustment...but with the right attitude and discipline you'll manage. I would choose a larger motivator aside from the limited campus dining hall features...but to each his own.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I switched from a junk food vegetarian diet to a low-fat, plant-based vegan diet and subsequently lost 80 pounds. Eat as many whole fruits and vegetables as you want.
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Saving -
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen major differences after going vegan? Like fat loss? I am considering it, because my college for some reason never has just chicken. It's always crispy crap that is no good for anyone!

Not me. I was a vegan/raw vegan and plateaued for the whole month of October. I alternated to include meats in my diet and as a consequence lost a lot of my weight. Meat works for me. Maybe veggies and fruits will work for you.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    That's a ridiculous reason to become vegan!!!!!! *double facepalm*
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Vegan will not make you lose more fat. And if you do not really work hard to get protein, then you will lose more lean body mass. But if all things such as macros and calories are the same, then you will not lose any more fat or weight going vegan or paleo or vegfie or whatever.
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I lose weight quickly vegan but when I am I also don't allow myself carb based foods like rice, pasta, bread, so it forces me to eat fruits vegetables beans and nuts
  • brooklynjean93
    brooklynjean93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm practically vegan because I'm a full time vegetarian, and hardly ever eat dairy because I'm lactose and tolerant... some advantages that I found when I switched into a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle (my other vegan friends have experienced this as well):
    Some weight loss (if you continue to watch what you eat and how much of it)
    Felt a lot better, get sick a lot less
    Feel lighter, not as heavy and tired all the time
    As well as other not as important/apparent things (acne vanishing, getting out of trying nasty meat meals my family makes, etc).
    Just be careful and slowly work your way back into meats if you do switch back! I have a friend who was vegetarian for several years, and the day she tried to go back to meat it made her really really really sick. You have to gradually make the switch back! But I totally commend you if you do decide to go the vegetarian/vegan way! I love it, and haven't missed meat nearly as badly as I thought I would! :) Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it could be crispy cow meat or crispy creme donuts all that matters for weight loss is total amount of calories
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about a year, vegetarian for 5 years. I lost some weight at first, which was awesome. But it depends, you can be a junk food vegan and remain chubby. My skin cleared up, and that's my favorite part. I don't have to wear makeup at all anymore (unless I want eyeliner or whatever). I can run for longer, I don't get tired as quickly. My blood pressure is lower, my bloodwork is awesome (according to the doctor, I don't know what to look for when I read those papers). I am just overall happy with my decision.

Bad things: be prepared to struggle at some restaurants, or simply have a salad for dinner (which my husband absolutely cannot do lol). My dad picks on me, and makes me cry even after years of not eating meat. It's horrible, and you might encounter unsupportive family members or friends too. I had a "best friend" that would seriously try to sabotage me. He had put bacon in something I was supposed to eat, and obviously I didn't eat it. What a jerk. We aren't really friends anymore... lol. My dad constantly offers me his food and even BRINGS ME stuff he knows I can't eat, and I end up eating nothing quite often. People will constantly tell you "I could never do that".. or "what about protein" and a bunch of other things you will be sick of hearing. People usually won't cater to you at parties, or baby showers, etc. I live in Texas, and everybody barbeques here. If I know I am going to a barbeque, I'll bring corn on the cob wrapped in tin foil and have them throw it on the grill. It's delicious. People will call you an "extremist" and all of that other hippie crap.

But even after all that, my health is more important. It's my life and I'll eat how I want. The pros outweigh the cons for me. In my case, the main thing is just dealing with the people. It's different for everybody. Do research first, of course.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about a year, vegetarian for 5 years. I lost some weight at first, which was awesome. But it depends, you can be a junk food vegan and remain chubby. My skin cleared up, and that's my favorite part. I don't have to wear makeup at all anymore (unless I want eyeliner or whatever). I can run for longer, I don't get tired as quickly. My blood pressure is lower, my bloodwork is awesome (according to the doctor, I don't know what to look for when I read those papers). I am just overall happy with my decision.

Bad things: be prepared to struggle at some restaurants, or simply have a salad for dinner (which my husband absolutely cannot do lol). My dad picks on me, and makes me cry even after years of not eating meat. It's horrible, and you might encounter unsupportive family members or friends too. I had a "best friend" that would seriously try to sabotage me. He had put bacon in something I was supposed to eat, and obviously I didn't eat it. What a jerk. We aren't really friends anymore... lol. My dad constantly offers me his food and even BRINGS ME stuff he knows I can't eat, and I end up eating nothing quite often. People will constantly tell you "I could never do that".. or "what about protein" and a bunch of other things you will be sick of hearing. People usually won't cater to you at parties, or baby showers, etc. I live in Texas, and everybody barbeques here. If I know I am going to a barbeque, I'll bring corn on the cob wrapped in tin foil and have them throw it on the grill. It's delicious. People will call you an "extremist" and all of that other hippie crap.

But even after all that, my health is more important. It's my life and I'll eat how I want. The pros outweigh the cons for me. In my case, the main thing is just dealing with the people. It's different for everybody. Do research first, of course.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am so confused by this logic.

"Going vegan' may only help your weight loss as you will be restricted in your food choices. Do some research as you have to be careful that you are getting enough protein and fats. It is not something that should be done on a whim or for some weird arsed logic.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian not vegan.

I ate a lot and got fat... felt better about not eating carcass.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I respect anyone who decides to go the vegan or vegetarian route for ethical or religious reasons but if you're thinking of going that way for weight loss... well then to be honest you can get the same results eating meat. You will in fact have an easier time if you do like meat since it will help you hit your protein.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Vegan isn't the new "fad" diet plan. If you are truly serious about changing your lifestyle and vegan is something you are interested in....do a lot of research and be prepared to make sure you are getting all the nutrients needed.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    mqdefault.jpg
    "Have you thought about going Vegan Carl?"

I'm sorry but this is the only thing that came to mind. Darn Geico and their catchy ads.