Sick of eggs. Salty/savoury breakfast ideas?

Options
anemoneprose
anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
I need something else to put in the mix. Thanks!

Replies

• 79RB79
    79RB79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast these days is a toasted tomato sandwich on rye with no butter, hot banana peppers and light mayo. 171 calories.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    tomato toast. (toast, tomato slices, a little butter, salt and pepper)

light cream cheese on toast

turkey sausage breakfast burrito on reduced fat tortilla, a little cheese and salsa. So good!
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bumping.. not because I am sick of eggs... But other options are always a good idea :o)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    sausage
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal! I hate the taste of cooked oats but love them cold! There are TONS recipes out there, if you can get your hands on some chia seeds I hear they're great to add to them but they're too expensive for me to justify buying.

One of my favorite kinds of overnight oats/refrigerator oatmeal is really simple

1/4th Old Fashion Oats (Quick work too but do not use instant or steel cut)
    2 TB Spoons of Peanut Butter (Or better an almost empty peanut butter jar)
    1 TSP of Sweetener ( I chose brown sugar, but honey would also work really well or something calorie free)
    1/4th Cup Milk (I chose Unsweetend Almond Milk, if you were using sweetend almond milk you could probably omit the added sweetener)
    1/4th Cup Greek Yogurt ( I like Orkis Vanilla but if I wasn't allergic to Strawberries I'd have added that for a PB Jelly taste)
    1 TB Chocolate Chips (Optional)

If you have one dump that oats into the peanut butter jar, you can add more PB if you want but you probably won't have to. Add sweetener and stir to distribute it amongst oats. (If using a different container, just add the oats and sweetener to that)

In a separate bowl mix together Greek Yogurt & Milk (And peanut butter if not using an old PB jar or you want extra) You would also add anything extra at this point such as chocolate chips or protein powder.

When well mixed dump it over oats. Cap jar and shake to combine everything. Put in the fridge overnight and wake up to deliciousness.

The next morning you can top it with fruit such as a banana. There are TONS of ways you can do refrigerator oatmeal and I find it to be really filling! I'm sure it would taste fantastic microwaved as well, but if using an old PB jar do not put that in the Micro.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I saw this in my cooking light magazine and was thinking about making it. I would lighten it up some more add more savory veges and maybe make in muffin cups--

Sausage and Polenta Breakfast Casserole
    Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
    10 ounce diced chicken andouille sausage
    2 cups sliced green onions
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    4 1/2 cups fat-free milk
    1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking polenta
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
    1.75 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
    2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    Cooking spray

Preparation

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add sausage; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Add onions, thyme, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
    2. Bring milk to a simmer in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in polenta and salt; simmer 7 minutes, stirring frequently with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add cheeses; stir until cheeses melt. Place the polenta mixture in a large bowl; let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper sauce and eggs. Add sausage mixture; stir well to combine. Spread polenta mixture into a 2-quart glass or ceramic broiler-safe baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature. Cover surface with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
    3. Preheat oven to 425°.
    4. Uncover dish. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or just until set.
    5. Preheat broiler to high; remove dish while broiler preheats. Broil 2 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes.
    David Bonom, Cooking Light
    DECEMBER 2012

Yield: Serves 8
    Total: 9 Hours, 15 Minutes

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 339
    Fat: 12.7g
    Saturated fat: 6g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
    Protein: 21.7g
    Carbohydrate: 26.4g
    Fiber: 3.9g
    Cholesterol: 167mg
    Iron: 1.8mg
    Sodium: 580mg
    Calcium: 418mg
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself that on the weekends, I should make a huge batch of frozen tofu scramble wraps - filled with tofu, herbs, onions, garlic, kale, vegan sausage (1 link has 24-25g of protein and low in carbs!) and edamame. High protein, savory and easy to grab in the mornings!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Bacon or sausage is much better. Eggs are not filling enough for me. I'll eat them if there is meat mixed in though.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal! I hate the taste of cooked oats but love them cold! There are TONS recipes out there, if you can get your hands on some chia seeds I hear they're great to add to them but they're too expensive for me to justify buying.

One of my favorite kinds of overnight oats/refrigerator oatmeal is really simple

1/4th Old Fashion Oats (Quick work too but do not use instant or steel cut)
    2 TB Spoons of Peanut Butter (Or better an almost empty peanut butter jar)
    1 TSP of Sweetener ( I chose brown sugar, but honey would also work really well or something calorie free)
    1/4th Cup Milk (I chose Unsweetend Almond Milk, if you were using sweetend almond milk you could probably omit the added sweetener)
    1/4th Cup Greek Yogurt ( I like Orkis Vanilla but if I wasn't allergic to Strawberries I'd have added that for a PB Jelly taste)
    1 TB Chocolate Chips (Optional)

If you have one dump that oats into the peanut butter jar, you can add more PB if you want but you probably won't have to. Add sweetener and stir to distribute it amongst oats. (If using a different container, just add the oats and sweetener to that)

In a separate bowl mix together Greek Yogurt & Milk (And peanut butter if not using an old PB jar or you want extra) You would also add anything extra at this point such as chocolate chips or protein powder.

When well mixed dump it over oats. Cap jar and shake to combine everything. Put in the fridge overnight and wake up to deliciousness.

The next morning you can top it with fruit such as a banana. There are TONS of ways you can do refrigerator oatmeal and I find it to be really filling! I'm sure it would taste fantastic microwaved as well, but if using an old PB jar do not put that in the Micro.

She is so right with the Refrigerator Oatmeal or overnight oats as I call them...I love it, a ton of variety and delish!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Thanks muchly for the ideas, they all sound great :)
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bb4cy
    bb4cy Posts: 2
    Options
    I like the Special K flatbread breakfast sandwiches. They are in the freezer aisle and are a little under 300 calories. :smile: :smile:
  • lp91413
    lp91413 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump because i hate sweet breakfasts!
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ritusahu
    ritusahu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal upma(indian) with greek yogurt and cilantro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLjMxFNTk

add yogurt to it
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Crepes

Sausage or whatever breakfast meat you prefer
    Spinach
    Potatoes
    White onions
    Garlic Powder
    Salt and pepper
    Cheese
    Green Pepper (optional)
    Rosemary (optional)
    Red Pepper flakes (optional)

Throw that in a skillet then wrap it up in a crepe (you can get pre-made crepes at Safeway). I like it with cottage cheese.

Can also make a burrito by using chorizo then wrap it in a tortilla with some salsa and sour cream on the side. A jalapeno will add some spice as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I need something else to put in the mix. Thanks!
    Add sausage with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    hello bacon
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well I make a scramble of egg whites with some Mexican flair, but you can substitute firm tofu chunks: black beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies (canned is fine), light sour cream, 2 % shredded mexican cheese, and salsa.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just have cold cereal, but it's never quite enough so I eat it along with greek yogurt and a fruit.

I recently discovered the Jalapeno laughing cow cheese wedges - spread one of those babies on a pice of multigrain toast, and top wtih tomatoes and avocado. Delish!