Exercises specific to burning belly fat

Options
Hey guys, I usually go on the treadmill, elliptical, stair stepper, or swimming as my main exercises. I have been getting really toned, but not losing any belly fat. Are there any exercises specific to weight loss or muscle strengthening in that particular area? Or any exercises that helped you?

Thanks!

Replies

• impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    It is impossible to spot burn any particular area of fat, unfortunately :(

Your best shot is to continue with the cardio, but eat right too to ensure weight loss
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    well, since I am not exercising at this time, I will bump to hear the answer to this....anybody....suggestions please....I think alot of us are in the same boat...

I hope you had a great Christmas....
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    No quick fix here. Its all diet.
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There are no exercises specifically for burning belly fat, because you can't "spot reduce". If you're losing weight, you will eventually lose the weight in your stomach. However, you can build the muscles in your core by doing planks (http://www.thedailybalance.com/wp-content/uploads/plank.jpg), bicycle crunches (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUquBnXi_A), knee ups (hang from something and bring your knees to your chest), and leg lifts (among lots of other options!!).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The best exercises for weight loss in that area are table pushaways and fork putdowns.

The saying is that "Abs are made in the kitchen". You can't spot reduce belly fat (or fat anywhere else on your body, for that matter) - stay in a caloric deficit and eventually it will come off, but your genetics determine your fat loss pattern.

There are a variety of exercises specific to muscle strengthening in your core (everything from compound movements like squats and deadlifts to the hundreds of variations of crunches). They'll build a stronger core beneath the fat and you may develop quite a set of abs, but they won't show until you get rid of the fat covering them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No specific exercises burn belly fat...losing fat is a function of diet/calorie deficit...but strength training will help with that...and has plenty of other benefits too.
  • Ap105786
    Ap105786 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

There are a variety of exercises specific to muscle strengthening in your core (everything from compound movements like squats and deadlifts to the hundreds of variations of crunches). They'll build a stronger core beneath the fat and you may develop quite a set of abs, but they won't show until you get rid of the fat covering them.

This inspires me so much! I always do crunches, planks and such but never feel like it is worth it! And thanks to everyone else for the information and support!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I usually go on the treadmill, elliptical, stair stepper, or swimming as my main exercises. I have been getting really toned, but not losing any belly fat. Are there any exercises specific to weight loss or muscle strengthening in that particular area? Or any exercises that helped you?

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP-7Y82R6HY
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

This inspires me so much! I always do crunches, planks and such but never feel like it is worth it! And thanks to everyone else for the information and support!

Just something to think about here- muscles may get bigger as a result of training, never smaller. You cannot spot reduce fat by training those areas. I would think about the crunches critically.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    No exercise will target belly fat... or any other particular part of the body. Loss of belly fat comes through calorie deficit... burning more calories than you take in. Now, for the other part of the question, you CAN strengthen the muscles in that region. Core exercises include, sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts, and planks. Many other combination exercises affect the mid section as well... Examples are some of your back exercises such as pull down lats, chin ups, etc. When I do those exercises I often feel a tightening of the abdominals. Torso rotation machines are also excellent for this region as well. If what you are looking for is "6 pack abs" then what you will have to do is strengthen the abdominals and lower your body fat percentage to about 10-12% for male and 15-17% for female. Best wishes on attaining your goals.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    A great pictoral guide to body fat (with some good info to boot) http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/