Which is a better exercise routine?

Options
I am not sure which exercises to do to cut a few inches from my waist (love handles), glutes and thighs.
Here are my measurements: current/desired

waist (narrowest point)- 27"/26"
waist (widest point)- 35"/28"
Glutes- 37"/34" (at least)
Thighs- 22.5"/20" (at least)

So to achieve this...I'm confused between two sets of exercises-

One is Vinyasa Flow Yoga (25-30 minutes of it)

The other is a set of a few exercises which are as follows: (total 25 mins)

Cardio (30 secs each): Jog in place, jumping jacks, knee ups, butt kickers, mountain climber pulls, step ups, pile squat hops, ski hops, shuffle punches, jump rope

Glute exercises (1 min. each): Squat, front and side lunges, deadlift, donkey kick right and left, hip bridge, leg extensions, flutter kicks, froggy glute lifts

Leg exercises (1 min. each): Side leg lift right and left, side leg kick right and left, inner thigh raise right and left, hamstring curls, quad lifts, static lunge right and left

So what do you think?..which one would give me fast and better results?..yoga or exercises?

And how much time do you think it will take for me to reach my goal? (if I exercises 4 days a week)

Pleaseeeeeee Help!!

Replies

• Brovy
    Brovy Posts: 11
    Options
    Your post is nice but i will suggest you some cardio exercises because cardio exercises are always good to lose some weight. You can do running,jogging and some walk daily to lose some weight. I am sure that you will lose weight easily as you like.
  • justme9717
    Options
    oh okay thanku :)
    let's see what others have to say!? :)
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ideally aim for a balance of exercises - cardio will be great for fat burning and cardiovascular health, weight/strength training for toning/conditioning or building strength depending on your goals and methods, yoga is great for flexibility, core strength and relaxation.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    What are the results you're looking for?

Yoga is great for flexibility and strength, but it burns very few calories. I also admit that I'm not a fan of flow styles since my experience is that teachers do not pay adequate attention to teaching correct form.

Lastly, the best exercise is the exercise you stick with.
  • RaveingFox
    Options
    I Personaly think if you alternate between the two daily and add a little of basic walking to and from places you will start to see some really good results :) I run around when i work alot sense im a Front desk clerk at an auto shop trying to figure out who does what, along with yoga stretches in the morning and a little bit of yoga and basic exorsizes at night, and im finnaly getting results, been at it for a month now and i lost 4 pounds in the past 2 weeks :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Also you state you are 17. You should really be speaking to your parents and head over to sparkteens.com
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I am not sure which exercises to do to cut a few inches from my waist (love handles), glutes and thighs.
    Here are my measurements: current/desired

waist (narrowest point)- 27"/26"
    waist (widest point)- 35"/28"
    Glutes- 37"/34" (at least)
    Thighs- 22.5"/20" (at least)

So to achieve this...I'm confused between two sets of exercises-

One is Vinyasa Flow Yoga (25-30 minutes of it)

The other is a set of a few exercises which are as follows: (total 25 mins)

Cardio (30 secs each): Jog in place, jumping jacks, knee ups, butt kickers, mountain climber pulls, step ups, pile squat hops, ski hops, shuffle punches, jump rope

Glute exercises (1 min. each): Squat, front and side lunges, deadlift, donkey kick right and left, hip bridge, leg extensions, flutter kicks, froggy glute lifts

Leg exercises (1 min. each): Side leg lift right and left, side leg kick right and left, inner thigh raise right and left, hamstring curls, quad lifts, static lunge right and left

So what do you think?..which one would give me fast and better results?..yoga or exercises?

And how much time do you think it will take for me to reach my goal? (if I exercises 4 days a week)

Pleaseeeeeee Help!!

Yes. The answer to your question is yes. Exercise and do a variety of activities and you will have benefits from them all. Additionally you will find what you enjoy and what works for YOUR body and your schedule and personal preference. Good luck! And have fun!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You need to take a step back here and understand that weight loss and fitness are 2 distinct things. Weight loss comes from creating a calorie deficit. Fitness comes from exercise. Strictly speaking, you don't need exercise to lose weight. But from a holistic standpoint, you probably want to increase your fitness. Some or all of this will come from personal preference. .. In what way do you want to increase fitness? Do you want to run, swim, lift weights, play tennis, climb mountains? It's up to you.

One advantage you have as a beginner is that absolutely anything that you do is going to immediately increase your fitness. So for now, follow your heart and do what seems appealing.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce certain areas i'm afraid. As said above, diet is key. Exercise is great for health, and weight lifting will help shape your body but you can't out train a bad diet. You need to create that deficit through better food choices, that will lead to fat loss. You can choose to add in cardio to create a larger deficit. It doesn't really matter what exercise you do. Calorie deficit is all you need to concern yourself with to lose body fat.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    between the 2 choices, it seems the second one will get more results, although I don't know much about yoga.
    remember that cardio burns lots of calories when you are doing it
    strength training builds muscle which burns calories 24/7

so you want a balance of activities that get your heart rate up and involve lots of movement
    running, kick boxing, dancing or whatever you like

and strength moves like you mentioned

also, don't forget to do lateral movements
    those help especially well with the saddle bag/outer thigh area
    can't spot reduce, but you can build muscle in those areas
    firm them up

with healthy diet and correct portions
    you'll lose the inches too.

examples of lateral moves
    squat + side kick
    just side kicks
    speed skaters
    side hops

you get the idea
    anything moving side to side
    which is different that the walking around we do

we can't really say how quickly or slowly you'll lose the weight
    some people are very slow in that dept, some can lose 5# /wk
    depends on your diet, burning more than you are eating,
    and how your body responds
    we're all different, just do your best and eventually
    your body will cooperate.
  • justme9717
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Also you state you are 17. You should really be speaking to your parents and head over to sparkteens.com

I did visit sparkteens.com as you said...but nah..I am in too much love with MFP and its people :)<3
  • justme9717
    Options
    thank you soooooo very much for the advises! I have decided to go for Jillian Michaels 30 day shred as it includes strength training, cardio and abs -all of these! I started with it yesterday...really hoping to see some good effective results now :):)