Hobby / Craft Ideas During Chemo

Options
MaryB2
MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
I was recently diagnosed with cancer and will be starting chemo soon. I hear my energy will be down and I may not feel like doing much. I've always kept busy by playing pool, riding dirt bikes and other things I probably won't feel like doing. I know to stay positive I will need to keep my mind busy and my nephew came up with me doing a craft.

I've never really been the creative type. Does anyone have any good craft or hobby ideas?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Knitting was the first thing that came to mind. Or you could do something more productive, like learning a second/third language, researching something you've always been interested in but always considered frivolous, origami, etc.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    Knitting was the first thing that came to mind. Or you could do something more productive, like learning a second/third language, researching something you've always been interested in but always considered frivolous, origami, etc.

Both good ideas! Thank you!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Or how about taking a few online classes with the end goal of a degree to further your career goals? That should be fairly non-physical.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have to endure chemo. My mom took up crocheting/knitting when she did chemo. She also got into audio books since she would get tired trying to read regular books. The one thing she did every chemo session and than eventually everyday was journaling. It seem to give her peace of mind getting all her thoughts down. On the first day of chemo she would sometimes scrapbook too. She usually had a bag of things to entertain her. Good luck!
  • MaryB2
    Options
    Or how about taking a few online classes with the end goal of a degree to further your career goals? That should be fairly non-physical.

I'm actually registered for 2 classes :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have nothing constructive to add but wanted to wish you luck with your treatment.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    Sorry you have to endure chemo. My mom took up crocheting/knitting when she did chemo. She also got into audio books since she would get tired trying to read regular books. The one thing she did every chemo session and than eventually everyday was journaling. It seem to give her peace of mind getting all her thoughts down. On the first day of chemo she would sometimes scrapbook too. She usually had a bag of things to entertain her. Good luck!

Thank you! Journaling will probably help through a lot of this. Taking a variety of things to chemo is a good idea. My first day will be 4 to 6 hours and the last 2 days will be 1 hour each.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    Unfortunately I have nothing constructive to add but wanted to wish you luck with your treatment.

Thank you :smile:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My aunt did Origami and made everyone Christmas ornimates. I am glad she did.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    My aunt did Origami and made everyone Christmas ornimates. I am glad she did.

That is an interesting idea :-)
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Best of luck with your treatment *hugs*. Perhaps painting or drawing (if you can't get in with a workshop to teach you, there are plenty of great tutorial books out there to also help you get started), learning a different language, photography, graphic art/design, or picking up an instrument. :)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the chemo, my mom battled breast cancer..
    what about joining one of those groups who makes the bandanas for the cancer patients? My mom found it empowering during her treatment..to still be able to help others.
    Good luck!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of doing crafts, but I suck at it. I have a digestive disorder where I go through cycles of being sick and low energy and not being able to be physically active like I normally like to. It's a lot of laying around not feeling well. The only crafty thing I have been able to successfully do is cross-stitch. It's super easy (you're just making x's) and it's something you can easily take breaks from and not have a big mess or lose your place. Just set aside until you're ready to come back to it. It's kind of relaxing and meditative as well. Just an idea. Wishing you well again soon! :flowerforyou:
  • MaryB2
    Options
    Best of luck with your treatment *hugs*. Perhaps painting or drawing (if you can't get in with a workshop to teach you, there are plenty of great tutorial books out there to also help you get started), learning a different language, photography, graphic art/design, or picking up an instrument. :)

Thank you! Photography would be a lot of fun! I wonder if that gets expensive.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the chemo, my mom battled breast cancer..
    what about joining one of those groups who makes the bandanas for the cancer patients? My mom found it empowering during her treatment..to still be able to help others.
    Good luck!!!

I had never heard of groups that do that. I'll look into it. I used to be pretty heavy into dog rescue and miss volunteer work, rescue is unfortunately a very physical thing to do
  • MaryB2
    Options
    I like the idea of doing crafts, but I suck at it. I have a digestive disorder where I go through cycles of being sick and low energy and not being able to be physically active like I normally like to. It's a lot of laying around not feeling well. The only crafty thing I have been able to successfully do is cross-stitch. It's super easy (you're just making x's) and it's something you can easily take breaks from and not have a big mess or lose your place. Just set aside until you're ready to come back to it. It's kind of relaxing and meditative as well. Just an idea. Wishing you well again soon! :flowerforyou:

Considering my creativity level cross-stitching might be a good place for me to start at. :blushing:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine does dialysis for 7hrs three times a week.

She watches movies on her iPad. Some days she's very tired so she listens to audio books or she reads, but if she's feeling sick and/or tired she listens.

There is an online class that I did that I recommend as fun, but not taxing, it's called 'the art of silly' ... It cost $15 or something and its fantastic!

http://www.carlasonheim.com/

I just looked on her site and she's got some new lessons out. If you emailed her and told her your situation, she might have some recommendations.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Also, I purchased Carla's book on mixed media, and it's a fantastic art/therapy resource I'd you are new to being 'creative'.

Here is an example of the tutorials. Honestly anyone can do them!

http://www.carlasonheim.com/go-blob-hunting/
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'll second (or third or tenth) the knitting. It's portable. You only need to know 2 stitches to create most things. I got back into knitting a few years ago when I needed something to 're-center' myself. Too many funerals.

Join Ravelry. Millions of patterns, many of them free, yarn suggestions, and free advice from very experienced knitters around the world.

Cross-stitch is good. I've done quite a bit of that. It tells you what color to use and where. Good for those of us who are challenged that way. I strongly recommend a floor stand for your stitching frame. Makes life so much simpler. This is strictly an 'at home' hobby.

I also agree with audio books. You can borrow books on tape from the library if you're short on funds (cancer is expensive). I'm really enjoying them and they keep the rest of your brain entertained while you knit or cross-stitch. I'm currently listening to !the Game of Thrones' by Martin.

Best of luck to you.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    A good friend of mine does dialysis for 7hrs three times a week.

She watches movies on her iPad. Some days she's very tired so she listens to audio books or she reads, but if she's feeling sick and/or tired she listens.

There is an online class that I did that I recommend as fun, but not taxing, it's called 'the art of silly' ... It cost $15 or something and its fantastic!

http://www.carlasonheim.com/

I just looked on her site and she's got some new lessons out. If you emailed her and told her your situation, she might have some recommendations.

WOW! 7 hours is a long time. I'm off dialysis now but I was doing 4 hours 3 times a week, even that amount of time was rough.
    I'll look into that website. Thank you!