Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she really needs a new kidney.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'll second (or third or tenth) the knitting. It's portable. You only need to know 2 stitches to create most things. I got back into knitting a few years ago when I needed something to 're-center' myself. Too many funerals.

Join Ravelry. Millions of patterns, many of them free, yarn suggestions, and free advice from very experienced knitters around the world.

Cross-stitch is good. I've done quite a bit of that. It tells you what color to use and where. Good for those of us who are challenged that way. I strongly recommend a floor stand for your stitching frame. Makes life so much simpler. This is strictly an 'at home' hobby.

I also agree with audio books. You can borrow books on tape from the library if you're short on funds (cancer is expensive). I'm really enjoying them and they keep the rest of your brain entertained while you knit or cross-stitch. I'm currently listening to !the Game of Thrones' by Martin.

Best of luck to you.

I would do cross-stitching so I'm glad you mentioned it being an "at home" hobby. Someone else brought up taking my craft to chemo with me which I think I should do.

I read A LOT, is it hard to get used to audio books?
  • MaryB2
    Options

Is she on a waiting list for one?
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I do lamp working which is NOT a portable craft, and I listen to audio books while doing that. It doesn't replace reading for me, but it's great for taking your mind off things, or when your not feeling well.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

Yes, she's been on it for 3yrs now. She's O neg, so it's tricky. I'm O neg and willing to donate, but because I have HBP and am obese they won't do the compatibility testing. As soon as my weight is lower and I'm off the BP meds, I'll get the full bloodwork started.
  • MaryB2
    Options
    I do lamp working which is NOT a portable craft, and I listen to audio books while doing that. It doesn't replace reading for me, but it's great for taking your mind off things, or when your not feeling well.

Thanks. I'll try that because reading knocks me out if it's close to my pain medicine dose"
  • MaryB2
    Options

Yes, she's been on it for 3yrs now. She's O neg, so it's tricky. I'm O neg and willing to donate, but because I have HBP and am obese they won't do the compatibility testing. As soon as my weight is lower and I'm off the BP meds, I'll get the full bloodwork started.

That is a great thing you're wiling to do for her! She is lucky to have you in her life!

Good luck!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My first idea was painting~but that is probably because I paint in oils and I love doing it.

I am sorry for your diagnosis and that you have to endure chemo. Rest assured you will be in my prayers as you and your family go through this. Hugs, Prayers, Happy Thoughts...coming your way immediately!!!
  • MaryB2
    Options
    My first idea was painting~but that is probably because I paint in oils and I love doing it.

I am sorry for your diagnosis and that you have to endure chemo. Rest assured you will be in my prayers as you and your family go through this. Hugs, Prayers, Happy Thoughts...coming your way immediately!!!

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I vote for knitting or crocheting. Once you get the hang of it, you can make hats, shawls or lap blankets for use during treatment. You might even be able to donate them to the clinic where you get your treatments!
  • MaryB2
    Options
    I vote for knitting or crocheting. Once you get the hang of it, you can make hats, shawls or lap blankets for use during treatment. You might even be able to donate them to the clinic where you get your treatments!

I was thinking a hat might be a good idea for if I lose my hair.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I will be undergoing radiation starting in January which will not be the same as chemo but you have my good thoughts and understanding to some degree.

I actually do a lot of handwork because I am a quilter. One thing I have found very fun and ridiculously easy because it does not have mistakes that shut you down from doing the project at hand is Zentangle. I was not one to draw or paint before I got involved with Zentangle. It started for me a few years ago and I did it when I was bored, in margins of pages or backs of envelopes. Now I carry a small sketch book and a fine sharpie pen with me (it sits neatly in the ring binder) in my purse and I can take it out anytime I like.

You can google Zentangle and find some info and see lots of examples. I have not updated my blog since September but the last thing I put in was a few pics of my sketchbook: http://quiltconfessions.blogspot.com
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that your going to have to go thru chemo. I love to do so many crafts. Crocheing is something that you can do. Stamping like making cards is fun also. Go on the web site Pinterest and put in DYI or crafts in the search bar. Lots and lots of interesting ideas.
  • MightyMae1
    Options
    FYI: If you decide that you're interested in learning to knit or crochet (personally I prefer crocheting), there are a lot of tutorials on youtube. That way, you can pause, rewind, and see it again as many times as you need to. I learned the basic single crochet stitch that way first, and then went back and learned more complex stitches that way too.
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your Chemo but I love that you're getting into the spirit of things. If animals are a favorite of yours, I know the shelter I volunteer at is always looking for people to bring in blankets and the like. You can often get a lot of fleece on sale and they are quick and extremely gratifying. Plus, your furry friends will love them!

Best of luck to you.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    There's an online pictionary style game called isketch, it is really addictive though. I wish you the best with your treatment and hope for a speedy recovery for you x
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have a knitting loom set; it's a super easy way to knit, portable and inexpensive. You can pick up the set at Wal-Mart or any craft store for around $20. There are tons of patterns online, and some things on their website..
  • HeyHeyLynn
    HeyHeyLynn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I found during chemo that I had great trouble concentrating on anything: I couldn't remember dates, had trouble reading and remembering the plots in books from one sitting to the next. I definitely would not sign up for any courses in anything either; some days it's an effort to just get up and get dressed to go someplace. When I went to chemo treatments, I had my "Cancer World" bag always packed with a sweater, a light blanket, a bottle of water, a granola bar or some snack, several magazines, and crossword puzzle books. Of al the suggestions I think knitting or crocheting would be the best.

Good luck with the journey. : )
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I knit and crochet...if you take one up, crochet is much easier to learn and things are made up quicker. It's all about the instant gratification! Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the chemo. :)

Could try various things to see what you enjoy. Also consider something like digital photography. Or even keeping a blog or video diary.