Hobby / Craft Ideas During Chemo

Options
13»

Replies

• nursedonnaj
    nursedonnaj Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with journeling and knitting or crocheting. FaveCrafts.com has a bunch of crafts on it. I love that you've already signed up for classes. You Rock! Sending love and hugz! May God Bless.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I find beading and jewelry making to be very relaxing. It's the perfect combination of keeping the hands and mind busy... and you end up with some pretty sweet jewelry at the end of it.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Like so many others Knitting or Crocheting would be my suggestions. I love to crochet and like to make the little amigurami animals. Nice little projects to do. Cross stitch also very portable.

Good luck with your treatment.
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did counted cross stitch and puzzles. UGH I hated Chemo - Lemons will help you through the naseua or at least they did me. You smell them and it helps settle the tummy.

Good luck!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Well it's not a craft but...video games!! Or reading. I wish you the best of luck with your treatment.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I sort of take offense to the guy who implied crafting is not "productive". LOL I disagree - I turn out some beautiful quilts, and I think the time spent on them is VERY productive.

And quilting can be quite portable - there's no reason why you can't hand sew the pieces together; after all, that's how it was done prior to sewing machines. It's easy to learn, and in the end, you have a beautiful, useful item to give to someone, or to keep for yourself.

No matter what you do, I hope your treatment goes well and is as easy as possible on you. :-)
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I found during chemo that I had great trouble concentrating on anything: I couldn't remember dates, had trouble reading and remembering the plots in books from one sitting to the next. I definitely would not sign up for any courses in anything either; some days it's an effort to just get up and get dressed to go someplace. When I went to chemo treatments, I had my "Cancer World" bag always packed with a sweater, a light blanket, a bottle of water, a granola bar or some snack, several magazines, and crossword puzzle books. Of al the suggestions I think knitting or crocheting would be the best.

Good luck with the journey. : )

My husband has an infusion each month for his ms. Not the same as chemo I know. But I agree with this poster. Take a comfy blanket, a sweater, snacks and drinks.

For stuff to do maybe take a walk through a craft store to see what small things they have. Good luck.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Knitting, scrapbooking, sewing a quilt, read books, do jigsaw puzzles, learn to play an instrument.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I read A LOT, is it hard to get used to audio books?

I wasn't sure I'd like audiobooks. I used to read 100 books a year. If the narrator is good, then the book is good. iTunes and Audible have samples you can listen to before you buy. I've found reviews on the narrators pretty useless. The ones that have reviewed the worst were the ones I liked best.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    c ard making?