Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

First day

Hi. I just joined this site. My name is Stephanie, I'm 42 and have 2 kids. I've lost about 60 pounds over the past 4 1/2 years just by incorporating exercise into my life. I've always had a hard time with the food part of things. I've been gaining and losing the same 10 pounds for a year & a half & I'm REALLY sick of it. I really don't like weighing & measuring my food & logging it but obviously exercise alone isn't enough so my goal for this week is to weigh, measure, & log everything I've eaten. I'm currently at 205 & my goal weight is 140. I've had glimpses of One-derland, but I never seem to stay there too long.

Anyone else out there who hates logging food? I'd love to hear how others have overcome it & I'm open to suggestions about how to proceed.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Replies

• stephkuch
    stephkuch Posts: 152 Member
    I hate logging food and I mean, I really hate it! You can definitely tell that by my non-existent food diary. However, not logging is no longer an option for me. When I used to log my food, I saw results! I need to log so I can see my progress because it really does help.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Hi Steph, I usually start strong in the morning logging my workout and breakfast, but as the day goes on i slack off. You could try to log your whole day in at once, the trick from there is to stick with it. I have the mfp on my phone which really helps. Good luck with your journey, feel free to add me if your looking for friends!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Yeah I log a day in advance - so that way I have what I normally eat and if I want some mfkin sugar I can see if I can fit it in!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    I second the logging in advance! Planning your meals the day before makes it easier to stay on track the next day!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    I am not the best at it either....I would rather just do it in my head most days...that is probably why I am not losing...because I think I do a good job in my head but in reality I dont...haha!!! I am re-focusing (again) today...I fell off quite a bit put 20 pounds back on...so I want to do better at logging my food. When I have my good moments, I would plan out tomorrow the day before, or I wouldnt eat anything before I logged it and figured my calories out. I made it a routine like a daily shower or my gym time, I know logging has to be in my daily routine or I dont do it.. I have a laptop so I would keep it on my dining room table, which helped some too.

Good Luck!!
  • JLBAMA2
    JLBAMA2 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi Stephanie, welcome! I too, have had a hard time with the food part of health and well being. After countless times trying to lose those last 20 pounds, I 'caved' to logging. What an eye opener it was! I really did not think I was putting that much food in my mouth and it made things clear to me that I was just eating too much!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you start logging and this site is very easy and helpful. There are many foods in the database. And it gives you incentive to exercise when you see you earn 'calories' when you move!

Give yourself some slack the first few days; I didn't change my eating for the first few days when I started logging, I just logged everything - that is how I came to the realization that I ate far more than I remembered putting in my mouth! I think that's the key to logging. When you are aware, you just naturally make better choices (most of the time! ;) )

Good luck, and look me up if you need an ear. I also have 2 kids, but I've got 10 years on ya, fyi.
  • Thanks for the great suggestions! I never considered logging ahead. That would help motivate me to plan ahead more than I currently do. For this week, my goal is to log what I eat & to try to stay within my daily calorie count. So far, so good. MFP seems to have a really good food database. I put the app on my phone but haven't checked it out yet.

I guess logging food is the thorn in the side of many of us! It seems like it's a necessary evil.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I used to hate logging food, but I don't mind it now. It gets so much easier if you consistently log every single day. Eventually, the majority of your food will be in your favorites or recent lists, so you can just point and click it. Once you learn all the tricks of MFP food logging and build up your food choices, it becomes an easy habit.

Bonus: building a happy friends list so you look forward to checking in and logging throughout the day.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    hi Stephanie, we all rebel at weighing and measuring food but it does help with the weight loss. I'm not yet back in the serious frame of mind but I have tried not to go overboard insanely.

Welcome to MFP; I have found the support here to be wonderful. I joined in 2005 along with Weight Watchers. stayed with WW unitl August 2012 came back to MFP and I found the support to be so good I left WW.
  • laf0195
    laf0195 Posts: 71 Member
    Hi Stephanie :) I'm fairly new to this site as well, and to dieting in general. I'd just like to say that I'm really glad I started using MFP because food logging truly is the best way to go about weight loss. All diets are about calories in, calories out, and if you don't know exactly how many calories you're eating, you can't know that you're on the right track. I hope you don't resent logging, because it hardly takes any time out of your day. The database is huge, and you learn after a while how to eyeball measurements. My favorite part of logging is pressing complete and it telling me that I'm below my calorie goal for the day. It's a good feeling. My best suggestion for logging is to download the app, it makes it so much easier to log right after you eat. And I would like to support the logging in advance that has been talked about. If you've already entered your food, then it just makes it easier to keep that little promise to yourself.

Good luck, and I hope you learn to love MFP!
  • jennyph2006
    jennyph2006 Posts: 356 Member
    Hi, I have not been logging my food for a few weeks, and I have put on a few lbs :). I am ready to get back into my rutines and see results. Friend request sent.
  • RockandRoseRebel
    RockandRoseRebel Posts: 35 Member
    I don't like logging either, but once I saw how useful it was, I realized I've got to do it. And the myfitnesspal app really helps because now I have no excuse not to log since I don't have to cart around a notebook & pen or worry about someone asking me what I'm doing and having to awkwardly explain.