Seattle Weather?

Options
Vaibhav_ace
Vaibhav_ace Posts: 93 Member
Do you live in Seattle? Have you lived some where else? Can you tell me about weather? I don't particularly enjoy constant rain, I am more of a warm / sunshine kind of person (although I live in Wisconsin, and we have 4-5 months of neither). I love the outdoors, riding my bicycle, motorcycle and driving with the top down.

I am looking for folks to give me an objective quality of life in Seattle area.

Help me peeps!!

Replies

• Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    lol well.. enjoy the rain :). but when its not raining.. its beautiful and lot of fun things to do outside. Not just in Seattle, everywhere in WA.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    There's actually not as much rain as popular culture would have you believe. It's more about lots of cloudy days. We do get a lot of mositure, but it's not raining all the time. The summer is typicallly only from August through September. It can be really nice then. Otherwise, we just have the other season: not summer.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Their TV weather reports include the phrase "Sunbreaks".....seriously.
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Options
    Haha, Thanks guys :)

I guess I will have to try it out myself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    There's actually not as much rain as popular culture would have you believe.

ssst.gif

ssssssssssssh. We don't want anyone else to move here. Please. The roads are crowded beyond reasonable.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    OP, not lot of convertibles here. Your ragtop would probably mildew and rot in a couple years. It really is wet here for at least eight months a year. Not a lot of snow, pretty temperate as far as extremes, but definitely gray. Really gray. The summers are nice, long summer days sometimes help, but there are only a couple months of warm weather. I was wearing sweaters and hoodies in June last year, and the heat was on until June. If you're looking for sun, this ain't the place.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    the rain is a constant drizzle, we whine and moan when the weather gets over 85 (that only happens a few days during the summer). You will see many many many shades of gray. Moss is the typical lawn ornament, if you don't like to wash your car, you're in luck, you pretty much won't get a chance to from mid-September til mid-May.

Oh, and when it snows here, the entire city becomes incapacitated, steep hills plus ice is not a pretty sight.

I have been to Wisconsin, and our rain showers are NOTHING like the rain there, that was miserable! I have lived in California, and missed the rain, so I moved back.

Born and raised here, I will never leave again.
  • Rixx31
    Rixx31 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a 2-seater soft top that only comes out when the weather is good, so as a consequence it has low mileage ;)

We've seen a lot of rain here the last few weeks. I commute from Everett to Seattle each week day and the most annoying thing is that for a state that sees so much rain, people drive like they have never seen it before.

Agreeing with the previous posters, you'll see wet weather for about 8 months in a year. As much as I complain about the rain, I still wouldn't want to move from the Puget Sound area.
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Options
    Haha. Thanks guys :)

I will be there next week. hopefully it can give me a glimpse of what life is like in Seattle. Of course, I don't know if I am moving there ... just yet. :)
  • musicalboats
    Options
    I grew up around Seattle, and lived in Kentucky a bit for college. Agreed with the others - its more the gray/drizzle not so much constant rain. There are also many many different kinds of rain... If its not wet right now, it probably will be at some point. And yes, sunbreaks totally exist. You get sun, for maybe fifteen minutes and then it rains again. There is a reason this is one of the few temperate rainforest climates... And it also depends where you live - the rainfall varies greatly between towns, and microclimates are common. Barely any one uses umbrellas, lightweight rainproof shells will become your friends... The snow seems to come randomly - some years it snows, some it doesn't. Dealing with snow isn't great, but atleast there are plows and the roads get sanded. There just usually isn't enough plows to deal with the snow when it happens, so people get frustrated. August and September are usually warm and there is lots of daylight in the summer. It rains until July 5th as the joke goes. And starts back up towards the end of September/Ocotber. When I was in Kentucky, one thing I noticed would be that there was sun in the winter, instead of being overcast. Although they had no way to deal with the one inch of snow they would randomly get.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I love the rain. I don't feel like it's constant here though. I moved here a couple of years ago from Colorado (where they get a lot of sunshine). I don't miss it. I think even if you don't like the weather, all of the other things that people love about this places makes up for it. I think so anyway. :smile:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Haha. Thanks guys :)

I will be there next week. hopefully it can give me a glimpse of what life is like in Seattle. Of course, I don't know if I am moving there ... just yet. :)

one more thing, the 'Seattle Freeze' really does exist: http://seattletimes.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html
  • Vaibhav_ace
    Options
    one more thing, the 'Seattle Freeze' really does exist: http://seattletimes.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html

Ouch!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've only been once...in march. Came home with the flu and a 104.5 fever.

It drizzled the entire time we were there. No need for a raincoat, just ****ing depressing.
  • Mellamina
    Options
    If you want good quality of life this is the place. Where else can you dive for crab in the morning and ski all afternoon? If your outdoorsy and love being active this place has everything. Sure its not sunny all the time, but for green surroundings, clean air and less population and overcrowding its worth it.
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lived in a suburb south of Seattle from age 3-21 and absolutely loved it. The scenery is gorgeous. I miss the mountains a lot. I didn't mind the rain/drizzle. You definitely adjust after you live in an area for a certain period of time. I live in Georgia now so I have adjusted to the humidity and heat.
  • Taimarra
    Options
    I've been to Seattle many times, but don't live there. I do, however, live in Portland which is something akin to "Seattle Junior" and we have extremely similar weather patterns. Here's the thing - if you're going to Seattle "next week" please don't base your decision to move on that visit alone. If possible, try to go again in Feb/March (the mini-spring, it gets gorgeous around that time for no apparent reason - then right back to winter with no warning whatsoever) and again in summer (which starts approximately July 15.. sometimes later.. lol)

From approximately Feb-August, you must have with you at all times: shorts, tank top, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, pants, socks, sandals, hoodie, scarf, coat, windbreaker and maybe a rain coat. And chances are quite likely that you will need most, if not all, of these items on any given day. Perhaps multiple times :D

Also, don't use an umbrella. Everyone will know you're a tourist :)
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Seattle and surrounding area is truely God's Country. I have lived lots of places and this is where I call home!!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I lived there for 4 years. It rains pretty much constantly fall-spring. It doesn't RAIN rain like in Wisconsin (also lived in Madison for a few years), very rarely thunderstorms, very rarely snow (and when it does everyone freaks out because no one knows how to drive in even an inch of snow. Literally people park their cars on the highway and just walk away, it's crazy) it's just drizzle. And not all day but on and off everyday. In the winter its colder drizzle. You learn to buy a lot of fleece and just ignore it. In the summer the weather is GREAT, high in the 80's max and often sunny. The rest of the year though- rain and humidity. But everything is beautifully green! Seattle is the best place I've ever lived, I'd go back in a heart beat.

eta: there is no better city to live in if you love the outdoors. Right next to the ocean and more protected bays, couple hours from the mountains, skiing, hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, everything you want to do within easy driving distance. Oh and there's a rainforest! No joke. You're 2 hours from a rainforest. Man. I gotta move back there.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Also, don't use an umbrella. Everyone will know you're a tourist :)

seconded.