Gym membership or treadmill?

Okay, I have to do something. My treadmill died last week and it's not usable AT ALL. So I was going to replace it. I found one that I like - NordicTrak 1750 - it would cost me around $1800 for everything. But then I got to thinking - maybe I should join the Y or Anytime Fitness in my town instead....what would your opinons be?

A couple of things to note - I don't do fitness classes - just can't take the messing around by those one or two people. I would use treadmill and elliptical for machines at the gym and maybe weights - also, gym membership looks to be around $3-400 annually in my area depending on the gym.

What would you maybe choose? And why?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    You can do basically 2 things on a treadmill...............walk and run. You can do several hundred different exercises in a gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    I think it really depends on your personality. Do you prefer to work out alone or have people around you? Are you more likely to stick with it if you can workout at home or if you have paid a gym membership? In my opinion, having just a treadmill and some weights at home, you can get as good a workout as anywhere. There is the added bonus that it's very easy to take a half hour break from whatever you are doing and do a quick workout, no need to go anywhere. But then gym offers more variety, and having more people around, which could be a plus or a minus depending on your personality.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    For me personally, the gym...but only because I like to lift. If I could, I'd have all of my equipment at home.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    If you use a treadmill, and wear it out. I say get a treadmill and weights and use them. Assuming you NEEEEEED a treadmill.

I have started walking and running outside, and bought clothing for cold and wet instead of a treadmill and I do body weight, sandbag, and lifting workouts. So to say what I would do is to say buy clothing, weights, a sandbag, and get your strength on.
  • Well for me, I would prefer to have my own treadmill but right now my only option is the gym.
    Have you been a member of a gym before?
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Do you think you would actually go to the gym?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    You can do basically 2 things on a treadmill...............walk and run. You can do several hundred different exercises in a gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ This.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    I hate the gym, I do really, but I have found I work out harder if I am there vs at home doing a workout. I am not distracted and all over and I actually put forth much more effort at the gym.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    If you use a treadmill, and wear it out. I say get a treadmill and weights and use them. Assuming you NEEEEEED a treadmill.

I have started walking and running outside, and bought clothing for cold and wet instead of a treadmill and I do body weight, sandbag, and lifting workouts. So to say what I would do is to say buy clothing, weights, a sandbag, and get your strength on.

same here
    loving running outside and my job gives me lifting daily
    small town small gym big gosip hate the gym in our town
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    I would say get a gym membership. if you have a 24 hour fitness around you you can get a 2 year membership from Costco for 360. then if you feel like relaxing in the sauna, steam-room, jacuzzi you can. plus like others have said there is more equipment, like stair-masters, ellipticals, treadmills, row machines. you can really break up your cardio workouts. oh yeah and you don't have to maintain the machines, the club does.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Gym, if you are willing and able to go often and take advantage of the membership.
    Treadmill if not.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Gym membership...strength training!!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    $1,800 for a treadmill vs $3-$400 annually for a gym membership? That's a no brainer IMO. Gym membership definitely. Unless you really want the TM because it does sound like you used it a lot however $1,800 is a lot to spend.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    I personally would op for the gym. I had a treadmill "at home" until I moved to a new city/state. I find that I actually workout harder at the gym. I've also added more variety to my workout by going to the gym!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    as stated above, you can do 2 things on a treadmill run or walk!

I say, save money and do it outside (just a thought)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Gym.

Or find a cheaper, used piece of equipment for home. Or both. (I do both. I have kids and can't always make it the gym so it's nice to have the workout at home option).
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Buy a home gym, barbell and some weights/bench is all you need!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Find a used treadmill on Craigslist. Additionally, you may be able to just replace the motor on yours. If all you are going to do is use the treadmill, buy another. If you want to add resistance training, join a gym or buy a Bowflex.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    gymgymgymgymgym!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Find a used treadmill on Craigslist. Additionally, you may be able to just replace the motor on yours. If all you are going to do is use the treadmill, buy another. If you want to add resistance training, join a gym or buy a Bowflex.

Motors are very expensive and chances are good that the belt has to be replaced as well which is why the motor blew. It would be cheaper to buy a new TM then replace everything on it.

ETA: While I am all for finding cheap and buying used on CL, I'd be apprehensive about buying a treadmill off of it because of the fact that it could be old and not taken care of that well even if it looks to be in great shape you don't know what condition the motor is in etc.